Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. I never watched the movie but loved the book. Thought I knew what was going to end up happening but nope. Easy read

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'm not a big fan of other authors continuing a series of another author who has passed. I just don't think they are as good. This is purely my opinion. Having said that, I loved Kyle Mills first 2 novels Rising Phoenix and Storming Heaven.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This reminds me there's an author writing books using the Reacher name (with Child's permission) but they're not Jack Reacher books.  It's like he'd using the name to draw attention.

14 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'm not a big fan of other authors continuing a series of another author who has passed. I just don't think they are as good. This is purely my opinion. Having said that, I loved Kyle Mills first 2 novels Rising Phoenix and Storming Heaven.

In almost all cases I agree with you although I do think Mills has held pretty true to the Rapp character created by Vince Flynn.  I am (was) a big fan of Robert B. Parker's novels in particular his Spenser series but Ace Atkins' stories just don't have the same zip and the Parker estate is already on its second author in Parker's Jesse Stone series.

Looking forward to reading this. I remember watching news reports as a an 11 yr old when it happened.

Check out this book on Goodreads: We Will Rise: A True Story of Tragedy and Resurrection in the American Heartland http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44281311-we-will-rise

What books have you read multiple times? I thought I would ask this question after I had a conversation the other day with someone else. She said she has never reread a book because she already knows what's going to happen. She didn't know what to say when I asked her why she will watch a movie or TV show over again since she already knows what is going to happen. Lol

Books I have read multiple times include:

Almost all books by Louis L'amour(some more than others)

Battle Cry by Leon Uris- I've been hooked on this book since I first read it almost 40 yr ago.

The Expendables by Leonard B Scott- this book is somewhat similar to Battle Cry except it is set during Vietnam

Term Limits by Vince Flynn- still my favorite novel by him

There are others I've read twice, but the ones above I've read ar least 5 times. It's no coincidence they are among my favorites of all time.

Only one book I’ve ever read more than once, and I’ve read it like five times. The Hobbit. We usually read this book in about 4th or 5th grade for the first time, but I must say it’s entertaining even as a 46 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I just finished “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil”. My sister says I’m a book snob because I generally only read nonfiction (yes I realize my previous post cites “The Hobbit”). Anyway when home for Thanksgiving this book was laying on the table and my niece asked my sister whose it was. She said “Well, we know it’s not Uncle Jay’s because he only reads nonfiction”. It is a nonfiction book but is really entertaining throughout so most think it’s a novel. I think it was made into a movie a few years back but I never watched it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

10 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Finished "41: A Portrait of my Father" by George W Bush.  A pretty straightforward memoir from a loving son.  Regardless of political lean, this is a wonderful heartfelt book. 

I’ll put it on my list. I have a different biography of him on deck as soon as I finish age of Eisenhower. 

Currently reading Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy 1945-1975 by Max Hastings. I just started it, but it he is taking a different perspective on this Saga. That perspective is through the Vietnamese instead of the American view like most books. I received this book through a giveaway on Goodreads

44 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Read the newest Reacher novel, Blue Moon.  Doesn't draw you in as much as some of the previous ones but not bad.

Just finished it as well and I was mildly disappointed.  Just didn't seem to have the same pizzazz.  Normally when I've started a Reacher book, it was hard to put it down but didn't experience that same feeling with Blue Moon.  Thought a couple of the sequences of action in the latter part of the book were a little farfetched even for a Reacher novel.  Next up for me is the latest Mitch Rapp novel Lethal Agent.

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Just finished it as well and I was mildly disappointed.  Just didn't seem to have the same pizzazz.  Normally when I've started a Reacher book, it was hard to put it down but didn't experience that same feeling with Blue Moon.  Thought a couple of the sequences of action in the latter part of the book were a little farfetched even for a Reacher novel.  Next up for me is the latest Mitch Rapp novel Lethal Agent.

I would agree there.  Definitely not as good as some of the previous ones.  I want to read No Middle Name, it's a collection of Reacher short stories.

I just finished The Spy and The Traitor - The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War by Ben Macintyre. This is a detailed account of a Russian KGB officer becoming a spy for Britain. Fascinating read which at times was difficult to put down. Highly recommended.

I just finished The Spy and The Traitor - The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War by Ben Macintyre. This is a detailed account of a Russian KGB officer becoming a spy for Britain. Fascinating read which at times was difficult to put down. Highly recommended.
I'm definitely going to have to write this one down. Currently reading book one of The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett which will eventually take place during the Cold War as well. I find the history or historical fiction stories to be fascinating most times.

I'm definitely going to have to write this one down. Currently reading book one of The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett which will eventually take place during the Cold War as well. I find the history or historical fiction stories to be fascinating most times.

I read the Century Trilogy. They were all good, but 3 was my least favorite.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, LamarCheeks said:

I finished it this week and echo woodenshoeman's endorsement: exceptional book. I work an odd schedule, so have Mondays and Tuesday off. After starting it and getting into it, I couldn't wait to pick it up again and read a few chapters. This past Tuesday, I did a few chores around the house, then picked up this book again. I became so engrossed that I finished the final 200-plus pages that day -- couldn't put it down. This is written in somewhat of the same vein as "In Cold Blood" -- almost like a non-fiction novel. Sullivan couldn't quite accurately piece together all the details to author a non-fiction book, so he made it a novel. ... Quite a story. 

Had two weeks off around Christmas. Read several books. This was one of them. Really enjoyed it. Couldn't put it down. 

If anyone is into nonfiction memoirs about a survivalist family on the side of an Idaho mountain, I can't recommend "Educated: A Memoir" by Tara Westover enough. Tara is a sorcerer with words which makes for a great read. The story is fascinating. There were times near the beginning I had to remind myself this was a story about present day and not from the old west (she was born in 1986). 

If anyone is into nonfiction memoirs about a survivalist family on the side of an Idaho mountain, I can't recommend "Educated: A Memoir" by Tara Westover enough. Tara is a sorcerer with words which makes for a great read. The story is fascinating. There were times near the beginning I had to remind myself this was a story about present day and not from the old west (she was born in 1986). 

Sounds like it’s right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app