Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

What’s it mean?

When a convoy stops stay in the vehicle and scan 5 meters in every direction.  Once clear get out and scan 25 meters.

Before you get out of your vehicle, scan the area immediately around the vehicle ensuring there is nothing suspicious (IEDs/secondaries). Upon visually clearing the immediate area get out of your vehicle and perform another search of the area further away from your vehicle looking for signs of IEDs. It’s to prevent your convoy stopping, and setting up, in an area the enemy preferred you setup so they can blow the **** out of your boys.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Before you get out of your vehicle, scan the area immediately around the vehicle ensuring there is nothing suspicious (IEDs/secondaries). Upon visually clearing the immediate area get out of your vehicle and perform another search of the area further away from your vehicle looking for signs of IEDs. It’s to prevent your convoy stopping, and setting up, in an area the enemy preferred you setup so they can blow the **** out of your boys.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Interesting. I’d imagine a term coined during Iraq and Afghanistan. I’ve read quite a bit of history up to and including Vietnam and don’t recall it

I just finished the 3rd and most recent book of David Baldacci's Amos Decker series, "The Fallen".  Solid book.  Sort of predictable, but sort of not.  I am pretty easy to please.  Plus, I really want that photographic memory!!!  Anyone else read it?  Definitely recommended.

10 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I just finished the 3rd and most recent book of David Baldacci's Amos Decker series, "The Fallen".  Solid book.  Sort of predictable, but sort of not.  I am pretty easy to please.  Plus, I really want that photographic memory!!!  Anyone else read it?  Definitely recommended.

That's actually his 4th Decker book:  Memory Man / The Last Mile / The Fix / The Fallen

I finished Only Killers and Thieves by Paul Howarth last night. Really good book. It's based in late 1800s in Australia. You wouldn't even know it aside from the dingo and kangaroo references. Otherwise it could be in Kansas.

Focused on a pair of brothers who family is murdered and they seek out revenge riding through the Outback, dealing with droughts, natives, etc. It's pretty intense but left me wanting more. Definitely recommended. 

I just finished the book Grateful American by Gary Sinise. Powerful. Inspirational. Gary has done so much for so many and has done it all so quietly. Such a humble man.  His philanthropy and volunteerism knows no bounds. 

Read this book. 

From a grateful American, to all the Veterans, our nation's Defenders, and first responders, Thank you. Today and everyday.

Made it up to the bookstore... only got 8 books in two bags... but got 52 movies! Seriously people, they do it 4 times a year, if you love books, take advantage of when they do it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
I don't make it that way to often lol. The local library has a used book sale about 4 times a year. I usually get hard backs for 2 dollars apiece and leave with about 20 books.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a little over 100 books. Not many new ones but plenty of classics, some political books and a massive collection of children’s/elementary/middle school/high school type books that I’ve been collecting and buying for my son for when he gets older.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
Right now I've got about 250 books including all the novels by Louis Lamour.

Another great book I just finished. "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah. One of the best books I've ever read. 

Based in the 70s. A family moves into the Alaskan Bush to homestead. Dad is a Vietnam Vet and former POW (and abusive drunk) suffering from PTSD, which wasn't a thing back then. Mom loves Dad and all his faults. Daughter is torn because she wants to protect mom but the only way to protect her is to say nothing. This book has something for everyone. I wouldn't be shocked if this was made into a movie. It was that good. 

Another great book I just finished. "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah. One of the best books I've ever read. 

Based in the 70s. A family moves into the Alaskan Bush to homestead. Dad is a Vietnam Vet and former POW (and abusive drunk) suffering from PTSD, which wasn't a thing back then. Mom loves Dad and all his faults. Daughter is torn because she wants to protect mom but the only way to protect her is to say nothing. This book has something for everyone. I wouldn't be shocked if this was made into a movie. It was that good. 

Fiction or non?

Everyone give up reading for Lent?!  ;)

I just completed Bad Blood by John Carreyrou.  It's non-fiction about a silicon valley startup, Theranos, and it's rise and fall...and it's bat-$#*) crazy founder/CEO (Elizabeth Holmes).  It get's a bit in the weeds with regards to chemistry with regards to blood testing, but really worth it.

For Christmas, one of my kids gave me a 3 month subscription to bookcase.club book club. They send 2 books the first of the month in the genre of your choosing. My pick was in the thriller, suspense category. The first 2 books I got from them were Rag Doll by Daniel Cole and Crimson Lake by Candice Fox. Neither were books I would have bought on my own, but I really enjoyed them, especially Rag Doll.

1 minute ago, Joe DeLow said:

My son turned 5 months old today. We’ve started reading to him at bed time. Mama of course has me read his baby books to him to help him learn his shapes, sounds, colors etc. The normal things for babies. But I went through all of my books and found the books that I would consider interesting and kids/preteen classics that could keep a baby interested and continue being interested in as they grow up. Books like The Chronicles of Narnia series, Captain Underpants and Wayside School series. So last night I started reading Gullivers Travels to him. Book has pictures to go along with it which will help. But I’ve been building my book collection for him really so that he has classics and nostalgic books I read in elementary, Junior High and high school.

If anyone has any suggestions of good adventure books or anything amusing for a small child I’d love to know so I can look when I go book shopping.

The Hatchet is a pretty cool adventure book. I loved it in the 3rd grade. 

2 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

I have that, Brian Returns and Brian’s Winter. Not sure if there were more to that series or not. I loved that book so I of course had to have it for him.

Theres another called The River. And one called Brian’s Hunt. I only ever read, Hatchet, Winter and River. Preferred Winter    

I believe Hunt takes place in the Winter timeline 

17 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

My son turned 5 months old today. We’ve started reading to him at bed time. Mama of course has me read his baby books to him to help him learn his shapes, sounds, colors etc. The normal things for babies. But I went through all of my books and found the books that I would consider interesting and kids/preteen classics that could keep a baby interested and continue being interested in as they grow up. Books like The Chronicles of Narnia series, Captain Underpants and Wayside School series. So last night I started reading Gullivers Travels to him. Book has pictures to go along with it which will help. But I’ve been building my book collection for him really so that he has classics and nostalgic books I read in elementary, Junior High and high school.

If anyone has any suggestions of good adventure books or anything amusing for a small child I’d love to know so I can look when I go book shopping.

I can't help you with book suggestions because it's been way too long ago.  But what you're doing is a wonderful thing and you're being a great father.

As far as that age, I can't really help. Its been too long ago. However, when he gets a little older, introduce him to the Boxcar Children, Hardy Boys and other classics.

"102 Minutes" by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn is a captivating account of 9/11. It's rich with personal accounts and covers the communication problems that cost the lives of first responders. The contributing design flaws of the towers are also covered. There are events that change everything that follows and 9/11 is definitely one of them.

I'm up to 20 books read on the year so far. My goal on goodreads is 50 for the year. That will slow down once the weather gets better.

My favorites of those are

Rag Doll by Daniel Cole

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

Back Fire by Catherine Coulter

Shadow Prey by John Sandford

Alexandria Link by Steve Berry

Texas Anthem by Jane's Reno