Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

52 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hadn't heard that about a TV series.  I always thought John Cena would fit the physical description to play Reacher.  From the general toughness of the character, Jason Statham wouldn't be all that bad.

Actually, Dwayne Johnson would be a closer fit from a purely physical standpoint because Cena is only 6'0.  I'm not sure he or Cena have the acting chops to pull it off.  I like Statham, but he's only 5'10.

That's where it gets complicated.  You can find actors with the ability to portray the character and actors that are close physically, but the actors that fit both characters is a much smaller pool to choose from.

If a person can get the personality across, which Cruise was able to do, they can be a little smaller IMO but there'd still be a limit because at some point they still have to be convincing from a physically imposing perspective.

9 hours ago, raorIU said:

If you watch Ray Donovan you'll know Liev Shreiber is absolutely spot-on for Jack Reacher.

I've always thought that would be an interesting casting, but wasn't sure if he had the ability to bring the personality across convincingly.  His size and build is at least passable.

I finished James Patterson's Crazy House in under 24 hrs. Very easy read but I enjoy those types of reads from time to time. Good story too.  Hunger Gamesesque would probably be a fair comparison. 

I'm on to Leadership in Turbulent Times by Doris Goodwin. It's comparing the similarities of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, and LBJ and their leadership styles. How and why they were the way they were.    What and who shaped them into leaders.  I'm only about 40 pages in but it's a solid read so far. Highly recommended. 

I finished James Patterson's Crazy House in under 24 hrs. Very easy read but I enjoy those types of reads from time to time. Good story too.  Hunger Gamesesque would probably be a fair comparison. 

I'm on to Leadership in Turbulent Times by Doris Goodwin. It's comparing the similarities of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, and LBJ and their leadership styles. How and why they were the way they were.    What and who shaped them into leaders.  I'm only about 40 pages in but it's a solid read so far. Highly recommended. 

It's on my to read list

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

My husband is reading the Goodwin book. He loves this book and is always citing situations that these leaders faced and how relevant it is today.  I'm looking forward to reading the book, but I plodding along in Grant by Ron Chernow. 

Just finished Order To Kill in the Mitch Rapp series since Kyle Mills took over authorship.  Really enjoyed it and I think Mills has done a fine job of maintaining the character Vince Flynn created.  Anyone who's read other books in the overall series, a word of caution.  Be sure to read Order to Kill; Enemy of the State and Red War in that specific order as there are new characters introduced by Mills who play key roles in each of these books and it's a question of continuity and following how these characters evolve in their relationship with Rapp.

I finished Zero Day by David Baldacci last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the reviews I read panned it because the main character, John Puller, was too Reacheresque. I had no problem with that. With millions of books, it's not hard to find protagonists with similar traits, background etc.

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I finished Zero Day by David Baldacci last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the reviews I read panned it because the main character, John Puller, was too Reacheresque. I had no problem with that. With millions of books, it's not hard to find protagonists with similar traits, background etc.

I enjoy the Puller series.  One of the few probably. Lol

Just finished Order To Kill in the Mitch Rapp series since Kyle Mills took over authorship.  Really enjoyed it and I think Mills has done a fine job of maintaining the character Vince Flynn created.  Anyone who's read other books in the overall series, a word of caution.  Be sure to read Order to Kill; Enemy of the State and Red War in that specific order as there are new characters introduced by Mills who play key roles in each of these books and it's a question of continuity and following how these characters evolve in their relationship with Rapp.
Have you read any of his other novels? I really enjoyed Rising Phoenix, Storming Heaven and Sphere of Influence

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Have you read any of his other novels? I really enjoyed Rising Phoenix, Storming Heaven and Sphere of Influence

Rising Phoenix is the only other 1 thus far, but he's on my reading list for his other books.

Sorry I haven't read through this entire thread.
But has anybody read "Killing the SS"?

I just finished it last week. I love the Killing series by O’Reilly and Dugard. This one didn’t disappoint in the least. They have a way of writing about history that makes it easy for me to grasp. Highly recommended and the other ones are great too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I just finished it last week. I love the Killing series by O’Reilly and Dugard. This one didn’t disappoint in the least. They have a way of writing about history that makes it easy for me to grasp. Highly recommended and the other ones are great too.

Bill usually talks about it on the Beck show.  I didn't know it was a series.

20 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

As a history buff with a history degree I vomited a little bit at the assertion that these books can be viewed as history