Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

You guys are awesome! I was a voracious reader in my younger days but slacked off considerably once I married and children came along. Since the kids moved out and I divorced about 2.5 years ago I've dropped cable and turned back to reading! Usually try and read a book every 3-10 days depending on the length and complexity of the book. I usually turn the cable back on in December to catch IU. Now, every lady I go out with one of my first questions is... do you like to read? Lol

Keep the titles coming folks! I've read multiple books suggested here! 

5 hours ago, jonz44 said:

You guys are awesome! I was a voracious reader in my younger days but slacked off considerably once I married and children came along. Since the kids moved out and I divorced about 2.5 years ago I've dropped cable and turned back to reading! Usually try and read a book every 3-10 days depending on the length and complexity of the book. I usually turn the cable back on in December to catch IU. Now, every lady I go out with one of my first questions is... do you like to read? Lol

Keep the titles coming folks! I've read multiple books suggested here! 

I’m currently in the married with kids stage of that. Hoping no divorce lol. But honestly I was shocked I missed reading more than video games. 

I am only really able to read now when my in laws come and visit

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m currently in the married with kids stage of that. Hoping no divorce lol. But honestly I was shocked I missed reading more than video games. 

I am only really able to read now when my in laws come and visit

Hope the divorce don't happen to you either, lol! It wasn't on my wish list. 

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed having my imagination stimulated when reading! My work schedule the last 2 winter's has been work Mon-Tues, off Wed, work Thur-Fri, off Sat-Sun. Can't tell you how many times I've gotten home on Tuesday or Friday afternoon, cooked a meal to eat, then watched it snow while I read for the next 1-2 days. 

Finished another book in the Reacher series. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
I checked out the first Jack Reacher novel, the Killing Floor, from the Library. So for it's been pretty good.

If you haven't read any of the Amos Decker series by David Baldacci, I reccomend trying it. The first one is Memory Man.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have always enjoyed reading a good western. They have always been a very good comfortable quick read. I especially enjoy Louis Lamour. I own all of his books. I recently had a friend bring over about 70 westerns they didn't want anymore. The ones I already read, I brought to the local library for resale at their book sale.

15 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

I checked out the first Jack Reacher novel, the Killing Floor, from the Library. So for it's been pretty good.

If you haven't read any of the Amos Decker series by David Baldacci, I reccomend trying it. The first one is Memory Man.

I like the Amos Decker series.  I've read them all.  Solid (easy) reads.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out. I just finished the 5th book "Echo Burning" in the Reacher series. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I like the Amos Decker series.  I've read them all.  Solid (easy) reads.
I'm going to try his camel club and Puller series also. Another good series is the Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford. I haven't tried his Prey series yet. That's my next book to read.

31 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

I'm going to try his camel club and Puller series also. Another good series is the Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford. I haven't tried his Prey series yet. That's my next book to read.

I've read both Camel Club and the Puller series.  I thought the first Camel Club book started really really slow but picked up the further into it I read.  Each succeeding book was much better IMO.  I'm currently working on Baldacci's King & Maxwell series.    Baldacci's Shaw series just didn't do anything for me.

51 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I've read both Camel Club and the Puller series.  I thought the first Camel Club book started really really slow but picked up the further into it I read.  Each succeeding book was much better IMO.  I'm currently working on Baldacci's King & Maxwell series.    Baldacci's Shaw series just didn't do anything for me.

I liked the Camel Club and the Puller series as well. 

I just finished reading the best book I've read this year, Beneath A Scarlett Sky by Mark Sullivan. It is based on the true story of Pino Bella, an 18 yr old Italian during WWII. I have recommended a lot of books here. Add this one to the list.

I recently completed The Boy In The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. 

This book is written for junior high students and should only take a weekend or two for most (I read or check into the books the school assigns to my kids). 

The book itself follows the family of a Nazi leader on a move from their Berlin home to  a new leadership position at Auschwitz and how this change affects the family. The main character is a 9 yr boy and his journey through day to day life.  It's filled with childhood innocence, naivety, heartbreak, laughter, etc.   The book is surprisingly deep for the manner in which it is written. 

As an adult and father, I (as well as all of you I'm sure) have the luxury of understanding the world from the adult perspective as well as from that of a child.  But a child doesn't yet have that ability. They see what they see at face value and take it as such. It's a wonderful book and again worth the quick read. 

11 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I recently completed The Boy In The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. 

This book is written for junior high students and should only take a weekend or two for most (I read or check into the books the school assigns to my kids). 

The book itself follows the family of a Nazi leader on a move from their Berlin home to  a new leadership position at Auschwitz and how this change affects the family. The main character is a 9 yr boy and his journey through day to day life.  It's filled with childhood innocence, naivety, heartbreak, laughter, etc.   The book is surprisingly deep for the manner in which it is written. 

As an adult and father, I (as well as all of you I'm sure) have the luxury of understanding the world from the adult perspective as well as from that of a child.  But a child doesn't yet have that ability. They see what they see at face value and take it as such. It's a wonderful book and again worth the quick read. 

I just happened to see the movie on Netflix a few months ago. Wanted to watch a movie one night and just randomly picked it. Don't know how much -- or if it all -- it deviated from the book, but it was very poignant and heartbreaking. 

51 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I just happened to see the movie on Netflix a few months ago. Wanted to watch a movie one night and just randomly picked it. Don't know how much -- or if it all -- it deviated from the book, but it was very poignant and heartbreaking. 

Didn't realize there was a movie. I'll have to check it out and get back to you. Very heartbreaking. 

81 for the year. I read about 2 hours a night on average. I may make it to 82, but doubtful. these next 2 weeks are very busy.

My favorites for the yr.
In no particular order.
The woods by Harlan Coben
American Ulysses: the story of Ulysses Grant
In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen
Bad Blood by John Sandford
The Fix by David Baldacci
Beneath the Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Finished the latest in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child entitled Past Tense.  Thought the first half was a little slower than most of the books, but it picked up and and overall was a good read.

Just finished that about 10 minute ago, after just getting it yesterday.  Still a good read, as they all are, but not one of the better novels IMO.  Filled in some of where his personality traits come from.

Apparently it's being turned into a televison series.  Not having Tom Cruise would be a good move; Reacher's size bring an element that was missing in the movies because Cruise is slightly tall for a hobbit while standing on Oprah's couch.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Just finished that about 10 minute ago, after just getting it yesterday.  Still a good read, as they all are, but not one of the better novels IMO.  Filled in some of where his personality traits come from.

Apparently it's being turned into a televison series.  Not having Tom Cruise would be a good move; Reacher's size bring an element that was missing in the movies because Cruise is slightly tall for a hobbit while standing on Oprah's couch.

Hadn't heard that about a TV series.  I always thought John Cena would fit the physical description to play Reacher.  From the general toughness of the character, Jason Statham wouldn't be all that bad.