Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

[quote name="Naturalhoosier" post="30960" timestamp="1390107480"]What books are everyone reading right now?! I just finished Lone Survivor. I highly HIGHLY recommend it! I haven't seen the movie, but if it's half as good as the book, it'll be a great movie.

Next up is Monuments Men. [/quote]

The movie is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I just finished "The Thousand Mile War: WWII in Alaska and the Aleutians" by Brian Garfield. Great read. I read this about 25-30 years ago and it was a great one to revisit. If you try this, get the 1995 University of Alaska reissue. Some corrections, added material etc. 

I started "My Battle of Algiers" by Ted Morgan, read over two thirds of it yesterday evening. Style is a bit different, but a hell of a read. 

As for books that are IU related, I've read My Story by RMK and thought it was pretty good.  Some good stories in it, but I didn't know he grew up a UK fan.  Picked up Season On the Brink a few months back at a yard sale for like a dollar, probably start on that sometime.

For music fans, I'd recommend the Johnny Cash autobiography.  Talks about how life was when he grew up and losing his brother and his time in the military and his relationship with June Carter.  Good read.  The man was a musical deity and he was a big loss to the industry.  Waylon Jennings has an autobiography as well but I haven't read it.

For baseball fans, I've heard The Last Boy by Jane Leavy is a good read.  It's a book about Hall of Fame outfielder Mickey Mantle.  I may get that book sometime.  Game Day by Derek Jeter has good reviews on Amazon, and there's The Captain by Ian O'Connor.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="31298" timestamp="1390286450"]As for books that are IU related, I've read My Story by RMK and thought it was pretty good. Some good stories in it, but I didn't know he grew up a UK fan. Picked up Season On the Brink a few months back at a yard sale for like a dollar, probably start on that sometime.[/quote]

You'll finish that book in less than a day, guaranteed. Probably one of my favorite reads of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Corey Taylor's 'Seven Deadly Sins' is a great read if you don't get offended easily, I'm getting ready to start on his second book, 'A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Heaven' which is about the paranormal <br /><br /><br />

[quote name="weaverswonders6" post="32574" timestamp="1390770338"]Just finished The Wool series, and finishing up The Remaining.... Next, I'll be reading S, which JJ Abrams co-authored. My girl read it and loved it.[/quote]

How did you like The Wool series? Read the first, was really intrigued about the rest.

[quote name="mamasa" post="32738" timestamp="1390776071"]How did you like The Wool series? Read the first, was really intrigued about the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote]I thought the wool series was well done. Very enjoyable reading and each book only takes a few hours. I'd recommend

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

I thought the wool series was well done. Very enjoyable reading and each book only takes a few hours. I'd recommend

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

I'll have to add them to my ever-extending list.  Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm into post-apocalyptic fiction/society rebuilding/fantasy. I've enjoyed the Apocalypsis series by Elle Casey, the Soulkeepers series by G.P. Ching, The Breeders by Katie French, The I.P.O. by Dan (not Dean) Koontz, the Gone series by Michael Grant, and the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. For a different, more traditional fiction, Catching the Westbound by DC Hicks was great!

[quote name="weaverswonders6" post="32751" timestamp="1390777372"]After I finish S, I'm going to read the fault in the stars or whatever...hear that'll be a movie this year and is incredibly sad

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote]

Just a warning, my daughter read it and was really sad! She loves sad stuff, but said this was heart wrenching. She loved it though.