Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BtownBanners

Jeff Goodman's Most Surprising/ Disappointing Players in Big Ten

CBS's Jeff Goodman was asked five questions regarding the Big Ten.  Three of his answers involved Indiana players.  We have posted his responses about Indiana Players below.  Full article can be found here.

3) Indiana's Cody Zeller is one of the top players in the country but in a bit of a funk. What weaknesses does he need to improve upon to cement his case as the No. 1 prospect?

Goodman: Zeller is a solid player in just about every area, but he needs to change his mindset and try and dominate on a more consistent basis. He's almost too nice of a kid. He's going to be a really good NBA player for a decade, but I'm not sure he'll be anything more than a fourth or fifth option. He runs the court as well as just about any big in the country, but he's not explosive vertically. He needs to continue to get stronger, especially in his lower body, in order to hold his position on the block. The strength will also help him so that he doesn't allow opposing big men to catch the ball deep in the post, which often forces Zeller to commit fouls. Zeller also needs to become a more effective defensive rebounder.

4) Which B1G player has surprised you the most so far this season? Why?

Goodman: There are a few -- and [indiana's] Victor Oladipo would certainly be one of them. I always considered him an offensive liability -- and a guy that had the ability to be a lock-down defender, but did so in spurts. Now Indiana's junior has really improved his perimeter shot, and he's become more consistent in terms of his effort on the defensive end. Through the nonconference portion, he's been Indiana's best player.

5) Which B1G player has disappointed you the most so far this season? Why?

Goodman: [indiana's] Christian Watford. Dan Dakich kept telling me in the offseason that he was poised for a breakout year, but it's honestly the same old Christian Watford. I've seen him since back when he played AAU ball, and he was just as frustrating then. Watford is now a senior and you'd expect him to play with more urgency than he has thus far in his final go-around, but he's been lackluster -- especially in IU's big games.

What do you think?  Does Goodman give good reasons for his examples?  Are their more surprising or disappointing players?

The answer about Watford is so frustratingly on point. He is always so relaxed, which looks good on game winning, program defining buzzer beaters, less so when he gets no rebounds in our only loss of the year.

I feel like the only reason people are disappointed in Watford now is the fact that he did hit the UK shot and has needed to play big for us in the past just for us to have a shot at winning. Now that there is more talent on the team, he doesn't feel the need to play as big anymore, therefore leading to lower numbers and frustration from fans. Not saying that he shouldn't be busting out there to try and do as best as he can, but I think that is why people see him as being disappointing. As for me, as long as he isn't forcing his shot and is playing well defensively, he will score when he needs to and help bring the team the W, and that's all I want

There won't b any gimme games n conference play this year. Road games will b huge for all B1G teams. We need Cody to b more assertive and Christian to b more consistent scoring and rebounding. Jordy has to b tougher defensively. I hate to criticise the team I love but they have to know that they could lose on any given day if they let up for even a minute.

I feel like the only reason people are disappointed in Watford now is the fact that he did hit the UK shot and has needed to play big for us in the past just for us to have a shot at winning. Now that there is more talent on the team, he doesn't feel the need to play as big anymore, therefore leading to lower numbers and frustration from fans. Not saying that he shouldn't be busting out there to try and do as best as he can, but I think that is why people see him as being disappointing. As for me, as long as he isn't forcing his shot and is playing well defensively, he will score when he needs to and help bring the team the W, and that's all I want

But for guy his size, he should be putting up much bigger rebound numbers overall. 6 per game in our non-conference schedule is so much lower than expectations.

I'm not dissapointed in Watford at all.  He did the same last year so I know what I get with him.  He will not have very good numbers in some games but have big games like he did against UK twice, MSU and VCU.  This team definitely needs his outside shooting but what has impressed me the most with Watford this year is his passing.  He has created many oppertunities for Zeller and others for easy buckets down low.

I have to agree with Watford. He shows flashes of such great play and potential, but where does it go? With a higher motor, Watford could be All-B1G, but he never shows it all at once. Watching the UK game from last year, it just messes with my head because I see how good he can be when he is playing his best, but that is usually not the case.

As for CZ, there are just too many weapons on this team for him to be POY. He simply won't put up the numbers with Jordy getting his shots, Dipo, Wat, etc. There are too many weapons for him to get enough scoring numbers to make him POY front-runner. However, I still would like to see his defensive rebounding and presence continue to improve.

As long as the energy is there, his production will come.

If the energy is not there, he will find more time on the pine, as Hollowell, Hanner, and Elston ( esp. Derek!) will fill in.............

But for guy his size, he should be putting up much bigger rebound numbers overall. 6 per game in our non-conference schedule is so much lower than expectations.

Fair point, but how many rebounds are just falling to other players? Does it matter the number one player gets as long as a member of the same team gets the board? As I said, not to say he shouldn't be in a position to get more, but when there is a player in a better position or the ball just bounces to someone else, that can't be blamed on him.

Fair point, but how many rebounds are just falling to other players? Does it matter the number one player gets as long as a member of the same team gets the board? As I said, not to say he shouldn't be in a position to get more, but when there is a player in a better position or the ball just bounces to someone else, that can't be blamed on him.

True. It's odd that we are tenth in rebounds per game and yet it feels like guys get hands on so many that just get away from them.

One thing Cody has regressed on this year compared to last are his free throws. I honestly think his added upper body strength threw off his shot early in the year. Now it's more of a mental thing, he has slowly gotten his stroke back though.

I think Goodman is right on about all three. Watford's lack of consistency is not a surprise. If he could put together some complete games for a march run, it could be the difference between sweet 16 and final four.

To many shot to go around for CWAT, People want Zeller to get the ball more but then get mad that watford isn't getting his points. CWAT is still good, and i think it's good for a guy like him to realize his roll and take less shots