Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2016) C Thon Maker

I think they're just trying to cover their butts in case the stars align and Thon leaves after 1/2 year. Don't want to make any promises they can't 100% keep.
I don't really see that happening, though

Almost certain he can't leave after a 1/2 year b/c of the 1 year removed from highschool rule, which he wouldn't be for the 2016 draft. I think the quote from his guardian means he may only stay 1+1/2 years, or if he hasn't developed enough/wants his education/any number of other reasons, may stay longer.

Now, I don't necessarily believe that, I think they're possibly saying he may stay longer just to make him seem more appealing to the programs involved.

Almost certain he can't leave after a 1/2 year b/c of the 1 year removed from highschool rule, which he wouldn't be for the 2016 draft. I think the quote from his guardian means he may only stay 1+1/2 years, or if he hasn't developed enough/wants his education/any number of other reasons, may stay longer.

Now, I don't necessarily believe that, I think they're possibly saying he may stay longer just to make him seem more appealing to the programs involved.

He is an international player. Does not apply to him. He just has to be 19 in calendar year.

He is an international player. Does not apply to him. He just has to be 19 in calendar year.

But isn't that only if he doesn't attend a university in America? I thought that rule only applied if a prospect comes directly from another country/foreign league.

But isn't that only if he doesn't attend a university in America? I thought that rule only applied if a prospect comes directly from another country/foreign league.

I don't believe so. The NBA doesn't care about the NCAA. Their rules are 19 for international kids or one year removed for stateside kids or 19 whichever is first for stateside kids. Exum would have done it but he would have only hurt his stock when he was guaranteed top 5. The NBA stays away from regulating based on the NCAA. Hopefully they work together in the future.

Got you guys a juicy little Tuesday bit:

Per Fansided at Sports Illustrated, "StraightHoops.com is the website that predicted correctly many of this years recruits decisions on where they went to school. I believe the only one they got wrong, was they said Jaylen Brown would go to Kentucky." StraightHoops.com says Thon is down to two (and speculates ASU for now):

"Thon Maker is another x-factor that could drastically impact college hoops next season. Maker is one of the great mysteries of the last 10 years in college basketball recruiting. In the national spotlight basically since he's been in this country - and featured widely on YouTube highlight videos - Maker has traveled around the globe more than Anthony Bourdain. After being born in Sudan and growing up in Uganda, Maker attended grade school in Australia before moving to the United States. He then attended two schools in Louisiana before settling down - for a bit, in Virginia and enrolling at the Carlisle School in Martinsville where he played his freshman and sophomore years of high school basketball. This past season, however, Maker moved again, transferring to the Athlete Institute in Mono, Ontario - yes, the same school as Jamal Murray. At 7'1" & 210 lbs, Maker has been compared to everyone from Kevin Garnett to Anthony Davis. Not yet quite at either of their levels at this stage, Maker does combine guard like skills with the size of a center - just like both KG and AD. However, Maker has been a bit inconsistent, showing flashes of both brilliance and mediocrity at times. Nevertheless, there are many suitors for this 7-footer who has guard-like ball handling skills, a perimeter jumper, phenomenal shot blocking instincts and incredible footwork. While he holds offers from most of the big players, the consensus seems to be that it is down to Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana and Arizona State, with the Hoosiers and Sun Devils clearly leading the pack. To make a prediction here by us would be sheer speculation. We cannot offer any insight into where Maker will eventually end up, but we will say this: if it is truly down to Indiana and Arizona State, as reported, Maker will be Bobby Hurley, Jr.'s first major commit. ​"

We cannot offer any insight into where Maker will eventually end up, but we will say this: if it is truly down to Indiana and Arizona State, as reported, Maker will be Bobby Hurley, Jr.'s first major commit. ​"

So basically if it's down to us and the one other school we'd feel good about going to head to head with for a recruit, we won't get him, just because. 

Nice. 

So basically if it's down to us and the one other school we'd feel good about going to head to head with for a recruit, we won't get him, just because.

Nice.

If you take it on its face I guess. I think we can all agree that there's a lot going on in this recruitment that it would make sense if we ended up taking a pass. A lot goes on behind the scenes that we don't know.

I'm very "eh" when it comes to Thon. It's kind of tempting for me to say something along the lines of go number 2 or get off the pot at this point

I see through rose colored glasses... but the only thing Arizona State has over Indiana doesn't even include basketball (women). They probably don't win that by very much, either. As for bball... They draw no attendance, have no games on national tv and don't have near the pedigree of players to play with. Seems like a no brainier to me!

I see through rose colored glasses... but the only thing Arizona State has over Indiana doesn't even include basketball (women). They probably don't win that by very much, either. As for bball... They draw no attendance, have no games on national tv and don't have near the pedigree of players to play with. Seems like a no brainier to me!

None of those things matter when your handler controls your recruitment and his buddy is on the ASU staff.

None of those things matter when your handler controls your recruitment and his buddy is on the ASU staff.

Having someone on the staff who is friends with the handler also gives ASU the unique ability to better understand the risk they are taking on by signing Thon and Matur. I'm still not convinced this is a risk worth taking.

Got you guys a juicy little Tuesday bit:

Per Fansided at Sports Illustrated, "StraightHoops.com is the website that predicted correctly many of this years recruits decisions on where they went to school. I believe the only one they got wrong, was they said Jaylen Brown would go to Kentucky." StraightHoops.com says Thon is down to two (and speculates ASU for now):

"Thon Maker is another x-factor that could drastically impact college hoops next season. Maker is one of the great mysteries of the last 10 years in college basketball recruiting. In the national spotlight basically since he's been in this country - and featured widely on YouTube highlight videos - Maker has traveled around the globe more than Anthony Bourdain. After being born in Sudan and growing up in Uganda, Maker attended grade school in Australia before moving to the United States. He then attended two schools in Louisiana before settling down - for a bit, in Virginia and enrolling at the Carlisle School in Martinsville where he played his freshman and sophomore years of high school basketball. This past season, however, Maker moved again, transferring to the Athlete Institute in Mono, Ontario - yes, the same school as Jamal Murray. At 7'1" & 210 lbs, Maker has been compared to everyone from Kevin Garnett to Anthony Davis. Not yet quite at either of their levels at this stage, Maker does combine guard like skills with the size of a center - just like both KG and AD. However, Maker has been a bit inconsistent, showing flashes of both brilliance and mediocrity at times. Nevertheless, there are many suitors for this 7-footer who has guard-like ball handling skills, a perimeter jumper, phenomenal shot blocking instincts and incredible footwork. While he holds offers from most of the big players, the consensus seems to be that it is down to Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana and Arizona State, with the Hoosiers and Sun Devils clearly leading the pack. To make a prediction here by us would be sheer speculation. We cannot offer any insight into where Maker will eventually end up, but we will say this: if it is truly down to Indiana and Arizona State, as reported, Maker will be Bobby Hurley, Jr.'s first major commit. ​"

Don't think he has much impact next year. Hard to get up to speed with the season half over.