Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Naturalhoosier

Next year Bigs!

I thought this thread was going to be a discussion of what IU was going to do in terms of big men next year with Fischer gone and an all guard/forward recruiting class coming in.  Probably time for bed.

I had thought that as well.

[quote name="OliviaPope40" post="28563" timestamp="1389237947"]No one from the steroid era will get in and they shouldn't.[/quote] I disagree 150%. The steroid era saved baseball and I'd bet money there are currently players in that have used steroids. Everyone loved watching these guys play then once they retire it's oh no they used steroids go away. Any player that deserves it should get in whether they used steroids or not. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No one from the steroid era will get in and they shouldn't.

Here's the problem, the steroid era didn't begin on x date and end on y date.  It's impossible to know who did and didn't use, really.  Some players, such as Maddux, don't have a bit of suspicion around them.  Greg Maddux played in the steroid era, and still dominated against guys that were juicing.

Baseball was far from clean before the steroid era though.  Back in the days of Aaron and Mays and Mantle players would use a type of amphetamines called "greenies".

I disagree 150%. The steroid era saved baseball and I'd bet money there are currently players in that have used steroids. Everyone loved watching these guys play then once they retire it's oh no they used steroids go away. Any player that deserves it should get in whether they used steroids or not. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It's going to piss me off when David Ortiz gets inducted, but Edgar Martinez, the best DH in baseball history, isn't in.  Ortiz's career is built of steroids and a park with joke dimensions.

16 people didn't vote for Maddux.  Who can follow baseball and not think Maddux was a Hall of Famer?  The voting system they use is friggin' stupid.  Too many people use it to make a statement.  One didn't vote for Maddux because he pitched in the steroid era, but voted for Jack Morris, the only vote he cast, who also pitched in the steroid era (and was teammates with known user Manny Ramirez).

I think they were all worthy, but I think Mike Mussina was just as deserving as Tom Glavine.  There were definitely more than 3 players on this year's ballot that should've gotten in though.

My biggest gripe with the HoF is Pete Rose not being in. Until he gets in the HoF means nothing in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I've got a couple gripes, and that is one of them.  The all time hits leader should be in the Hall.  He gambled, so what, Michael Jordan did too.

Another gripe is this crap about no unanimous inductees.  Babe Ruth wasn't unanimous.  Who in the hell didn't think BABE RUTH was a hall of famer?  Same with Mays and Mantle.  It's impossible to argue they were Hall of Famers.  Mariano Rivera won't be unanimous despite being the best relief pitcher in baseball history, being incomparably dominant with one pitch.  Derek Jeter won't be unanimous despite being one of the best all around shortstops the game has ever seen.

Mike Mussina isn't in the Hall, but he was as good as Glavine and better than Smoltz who may get inducted next year.  Edgar Martinez still isn't in the Hall.  Mike Piazza isn't, Tim Raines isn't, Craig Biggio isn't.  None of those guys are in, but Jack Morris got 60% of the votes, and someone voted for Armando Benitez.  Voting for Armando Benitez over any of those guys is willful ignorance.

I'm not a fan of his either.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You said no one who has been caught will get in, Big Roidi has been caught and will get in.  That was the point.

Why will he get in?  The people that vote for him are all "OMG.  Big Papi!  Lovable, gritty, clutch, derp".  Even though his career is built off steroids and Fenway being a joke of a stadium.  And it will piss me off because Edgar Martinez, the best DH in baseball history, isn't in the Hall because he was a DH and other players that were the best players in the league without roids won't be in (Clemens, Bonds, etc).  The same fools that will vote for him made excuses when he went full roid rage and destroyed another team's property sending shrapnel in the direction of his teammates, and threw his elbow pad at the ump which he was never punished for.

And Selig will be there shaking his hand, just because he's the clown that turned a blind eye to steroid use when it put fans in the seats and now wants to make it look like he's concerned for the integrity of the game.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="35685" timestamp="1391709505"]You said no one who has been caught will get in, Big Roidi has been caught and will get in. That was the point.

Why will he get in? The people that vote for him are all "OMG. Big Papi! Lovable, gritty, clutch, derp". Even though his career is built off steroids and Fenway being a joke of a stadium. And it will piss me off because Edgar Martinez, the best DH in baseball history, isn't in the Hall because he was a DH and other players that were the best players in the league without roids won't be in (Clemens, Bonds, etc). The same fools that will vote for him made excuses when he went full roid rage and destroyed another team's property sending shrapnel in the direction of his teammates, and threw his elbow pad at the ump which he was never punished for.

And Selig will be there shaking his hand, just because he's the clown that turned a blind eye to steroid use when it put fans in the seats and now wants to make it look like he's concerned for the integrity of the game.[/quote]

I wish I could like this 10 times.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="35685" timestamp="1391709505"]You said no one who has been caught will get in, Big Roidi has been caught and will get in. That was the point. Why will he get in? The people that vote for him are all "OMG. Big Papi! Lovable, gritty, clutch, derp". Even though his career is built off steroids and Fenway being a joke of a stadium. And it will piss me off because Edgar Martinez, the best DH in baseball history, isn't in the Hall because he was a DH and other players that were the best players in the league without roids won't be in (Clemens, Bonds, etc). The same fools that will vote for him made excuses when he went full roid rage and destroyed another team's property sending shrapnel in the direction of his teammates, and threw his elbow pad at the ump which he was never punished for. And Selig will be there shaking his hand, just because he's the clown that turned a blind eye to steroid use when it put fans in the seats and now wants to make it look like he's concerned for the integrity of the game.[/quote] Sorry JS, I didn't realize he got caught. I looked at an article that said he tested positive in '03. That was not too long after my college and independent ball career was over. I had seen several people get signed or drafted that...oh well we won't get into that. When I quit playing I was very bitter towards baseball and have just started to follow it again. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Sorry JS, I didn't realize he got caught. I looked at an article that said he tested positive in '03. That was not too long after my college and independent ball career was over. I had seen several people get signed or drafted that...oh well we won't get into that. When I quit playing I was very bitter towards baseball and have just started to follow it again. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes, he tested positive in '03.  Oddly enough, that is the only positive test Alex Rodriguez has had but yet he's public enemy number 1 in regards to PEDs.  The only proof of A-Rod being involved with Biogenesis comes from a guy trying to save his own ass for practicing medicine without a license.