Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

Derek Drouin Wins Bowerman Award

Congrats to Derek. :clapping:

Olympic medalist and five-time NCAA Champion Derek Drouin added another honor to his impressive list of accolades as he was selected as the winner of the 2013 Bowerman Trophy - the highest honor given to the most outstanding male and female student-athletes in collegiate track & field.

It was a banner year for Drouin, as the indoor and outdoor US Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Indoor and Outdoor National Field Athlete of the Year. He became the first to sweep both the indoor and outdoor NCAA Division I high jump titles in one academic year since he did so in 2010, becoming the NCAA's first five-time high jump champion. The Canadian won at heights of 7-8 (2.34m) or greater and took cracks at collegiate records at both championships. He finished unbeaten in nine collegiate high jump finals between indoors and outdoors. For his accomplishments on the year, Drouin was named the Jesse Owens Big Ten Male Athlete of the Year as the top athlete across all men's sports in the Big Ten Conference for 2012-13.

IU head coach Ron Helmer said he is extremely proud of Drouin for this achievement.

“I could not be more excited and happy for Derek to win this award,” Helmer said. “He has been successful on the biggest stages and I can’t think of a more deserving honoree. His ability to deal with expectations and pressure and continue to excel is incredible. He is genuinely a great person and representative of Indiana University and Indiana University Track & Field.”

Drouin said he was surprised to hear his name called and he is honored to win the award.

"I was completely honored to be amongst the finalists here," he said. "looking at the finalists and banners of former winners. "To be on the wall with those names is just surreal, and I can’t even picture my face being up there."

spacer.gif

Among the finalists for the award were Drouin, Lawi Lalang of Arizona and Julian Wruck of UCLA. On the women’s side Brianna Rollins from Clemson earned the award

Drouin joins a group that includes Galen Rupp (Oregon), Ashton Eaton (Oregon), Ngoni Makusha (Florida State) and fellow Canadian Cam Levins (Southern Utah) as previous male honorees. 

For his Indiana track & field career, Drouin was a seven-time All-American and became the first athlete in NCAA history to win five NCAA titles in the high jump. Drouin also earned two Bronze Medals, one from the 2012 London Olympics and one at the 2013 World Championships. 

Link