Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2015) SG Donovan Mitchell to Louisville

The day we get our next 4 or 5 star I'll calm down but until then I deserve to right to be disappointed in our recruiting results. I'd like to get our plan A recruits or even plan B or C. You can't expect to compete with the big boys until you recruit with the big boys.

NOW, if Crean was consciously trying a different approach and going after 2 or 3 stars initially, I wouldn't gripe because he is getting his target, but when he misses 4,5,6,7 times, then get a 2 or 3 star it comes off harder to bare.

I am not basing my disappointment on the Spalding miss. Do I think we grossly misappropriated our time? Yes? But I saw this one coming long ago. I was surprised our staff prioritized him in the first place. I thought, they must know something I don't. Turns out they did not.

It is not the Spalding miss. It's the 20 some misses we've accumulated over the past year. It's the odd endings to recruitments. BJ Anya, Ahmed Hill's weird tweet, Onuaku saying he's coming for a visit and not. Same for AntLee, Eron Harris, Ryan Anderson, Trey Thompson. It is a multitude of things.

Odds tweets went out by Jerry Meyer last year trying to explain why our Crystal Ball picks were so Scattershot and wrong, when normally CB gets it right. A full afternoon of tweets insinuating problems. Never did get to the bottom of him explaining his reasoning.

We just plain and simple need some good news in recruiting. Simple as that.

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="74987" timestamp="1406005514"]The day we get our next 4 or 5 star I'll calm down but until then I deserve to right to be disappointed in our recruiting results. I'd like to get our plan A recruits or even plan B or C. You can't expect to compete with the big boys until you recruit with the big boys.

NOW, if Crean was consciously trying a different approach and going after 2 or 3 stars initially, I wouldn't gripe because he is getting his target, but when he misses 4,5,6,7 times, then get a 2 or 3 star it comes off harder to bare.[/quote] Look at our recent recruiting classes. We've recruited against, and won against the big boys. Go back and read posts by myself and pap about why the program may not seem desirable this year. Think about how buyout rumors, the loss of KJ, and missing tournaments effect recruiting. And remember, we technically only have 1 scholarship available for next year. It's not like the last few years where we've had 5 scholarship spots. Also, UL has 5 more scholarship offers out than we do. UL has 34, we have 29, OSU 23, UK 16, Mich St. 15, Duke 6(?!). It varies, but there seems to be a trend that the more success the program has had in recent history, the less offers they give. We don't seem that unordinary. Have we seen recruiting classes that we haven't been excited about under Crean? Not really. Let's see where the other 60ish top 100 recruits in 2015 fall.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Look at our recent recruiting classes. We've recruited against, and won against the big boys. Go back and read posts by myself and pap about why the program may not seem desirable this year. Think about how buyout rumors, the loss of KJ, and missing tournaments effect recruiting. And remember, we technically only have 1 scholarship available for next year. It's not like the last few years where we've had 5 scholarship spots. Also, UL has 5 more scholarship offers out than we do. UL has 34, we have 29, OSU 23, UK 16, Mich St. 15, Duke 6(?!). It varies, but there seems to be a trend that the more success the program has had in recent history, the less offers they give. We don't seem that unordinary. Have we seen recruiting classes that we haven't been excited about under Crean? Not really. Let's see where the other 60ish top 100 recruits in 2015 fall. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Fair. The excuses about the state of our program doesn't make me feel any better. We are what we are right now. That seems to be the problem. Yes, his previous classes have been solid, for the most part. Although, the 2014 class should have been incredible. And fizzled beyond belief. And since then, ?????

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="74992" timestamp="1406006543"]Fair. The excuses about the state of our program doesn't make me feel any better. We are what we are right now. That seems to be the problem. Yes, his previous classes have been solid, for the most part. Although, the 2014 class should have been incredible. And fizzled beyond belief. And since then, ?????[/quote] It's a slow start, but 2015 still seems wide open. Crean has gotten in on players' recruitment late and won multiple times. We've seen him fizzle out with early recruitments. I'm not happy by any means. Fans desperately need some good news, but I don't think recruiting is our issue, more of a byproduct of an shaky situation.

Fair. The excuses about the state of our program doesn't make me feel any better. We are what we are right now. That seems to be the problem. Yes, his previous classes have been solid, for the most part. Although, the 2014 class should have been incredible. And fizzled beyond belief. And since then, ?????

Look at our recent recruiting classes. We've recruited against, and won against the big boys. Go back and read posts by myself and pap about why the program may not seem desirable this year. Think about how buyout rumors, the loss of KJ, and missing tournaments effect recruiting. And remember, we technically only have 1 scholarship available for next year. It's not like the last few years where we've had 5 scholarship spots. Also, UL has 5 more scholarship offers out than we do. UL has 34, we have 29, OSU 23, UK 16, Mich St. 15, Duke 6(?!). It varies, but there seems to be a trend that the more success the program has had in recent history, the less offers they give. We don't seem that unordinary. Have we seen recruiting classes that we haven't been excited about under Crean? Not really. Let's see where the other 60ish top 100 recruits in 2015 fall. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

The numbers you gave does prove my point. UL is the outlier but we double MSU, UK, and smash Duke in offers. The numbers bear my premise that we offer too many and cheapen its meaning.

I don't even demand or desire UK, KU, Duke like classes with all 4/5 stars.

The beginning of our 2014 class seemed perfect, ranking wise.

Top 20 ish

Top 50-70 ish

Promising 3 star.

That makes a perfectly fine class to me.

But since then, we've had 2 unrated guys and an underwhelming transfer (who is likely better than his stats indicate) but still underwhelming. Plus we continue to MISS.

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="74994" timestamp="1406006841"]The numbers you gave does prove my point. UL is the outlier but we double MSU, UK, and smash Duke in offers. The numbers bear my premise that we offer too many and cheapen its meaning.[/quote] Duke is the outlier there. I could have looked at more programs, but I will put a rough guesstimate of about 22 offers per team each year. I don't think we're really hurting ourself by giving out too many offers. Our offers don't carry as much weight because we have won. Giving out fewer won't make them anymore valuable. Winning will.

I think of Blackmon interviews back when he was a Senior. They'd always ask him who IU was recruiting to join him. He usually didn't know, but when he did it was Goodluck, then Devin Robinson, then the next guy and on and on. How does that make a star recruit feel?

Heck, our whole program, including players mothers were recruiting AntLee. Desperately pleading for him. It's not just the fans that are frustrated, it's the players and players families too.

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="74997" timestamp="1406007463"]I think of Blackmon interviews back when he was a Senior. They'd always ask him who IU was recruiting to join him. He usually didn't know, but when he did it was Goodluck, then Devin Robinson, then the next guy and on and on. How does that make a star recruit feel?

Heck, our whole program, including players mothers were recruiting AntLee. Desperately pleading for him. It's not just the fans that are frustrated, it's the players and players families too.[/quote] Players can help recruit by winning. That's the only thing that will make recruiting easier for Crean. I honestly don't even care about the 2015 class right now, because unless this year goes well, we may have much more important things to worry about. I still think 2015 will work itself out in time. Agree to be varying levels of disgruntled.

Duke is the outlier there. I could have looked at more programs, but I will put a rough guesstimate of about 22 offers per team each year. I don't think we're really hurting ourself by giving out too many offers. Our offers don't carry as much weight because we have won. Giving out fewer won't make them anymore valuable. Winning will. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I partly agree. Winning is a big deal in all of it. However UNC had some pretty rough seasons. Didn't much slow them down. People like to blame the Syracuse loss. Kansas generally has a top 5 or top 10 talent team and seem to lose early in NCAAs all the time. Their early loses don't hurt them. Same for Duke.

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="74999" timestamp="1406007906"]I partly agree. Winning is a big deal in all of it. However UNC had some pretty rough seasons. Didn't much slow them down. People like to blame the Syracuse loss. Kansas generally has a top 5 or top 10 talent team and seem to lose early in NCAAs all the time. Their early loses don't hurt them. Same for Duke.[/quote] Those three programs have won National Championships this decade, and more importantly, during these recruits' life times. We have not, sadly.

Players can help recruit by winning. That's the only thing that will make recruiting easier for Crean. I honestly don't even care about the 2015 class right now, because unless this year goes well, we may have much more important things to worry about. I still think 2015 will work itself out in time. Agree to be varying levels of disgruntled. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

After all this, watch us get Thon, Thomas Bryant, and Jimmy Whitt. Haha. Right???? Anyway, thanks for the discourse. We shall see. I just have the "what coulda been" mentality for the 2014 class and it's continuing.

I am still stoked to see our top 7 play. Yogi, JB2, Stan, TW, Hanner, Rojo , and DD.

Curious and excited about Hoetzel. I think Nate Ritchie could be fun. Likely better than Priller and April. Curious to see if Zeisloft can have an impact. Curious to see what 2 or 3 players transfer next season. I have my ideas. Excited for this season above all else, just wish we had one more Big. Noah, Fischer, Trey Lyles, Devin Robinson, Goodluck, AntLee would have made a sweet roster.

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="75001" timestamp="1406008607"]After all this, watch us get Thon, Thomas Bryant, and Jimmy Whitt. Haha. Right???? Anyway, thanks for the discourse. We shall see. I just have the "what coulda been" mentality for the 2014 class and it's continuing.

I am still stoked to see our top 7 play. Yogi, JB2, Stan, TW, Hanner, Rojo , and DD.

Curious and excited about Hoetzel. I think Nate Ritchie could be fun. Likely better than Priller and April. Curious to see if Zeisloft can have an impact. Curious to see what 2 or 3 players transfer next season. I have my ideas. Excited for this season above all else, just wish we had one more Big. Noah, Fischer, Trey Lyles, Devin Robinson, Goodluck, AntLee would have made a sweet roster.[/quote] That would be very, very nice lol. Much to be excited about, I agree. I hope to have more to be excited about as well though.

[quote name="8bucks" post="75011" timestamp="1406034641"]If we do not fill our last current open spot for this year then don't we technically have two open scholarships for 2015 Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote] We have one. If we fill the last open scholarship, technically there won't be a 2015 class. Lol [url="http://www.insidethehall.com/indiana-scholarship-numbers/]http://www.insidethe...arship-numbers/"]http://www.insidethehall.com/indiana-scholarship-numbers/]http://www.insidethe...arship-numbers/[/url] Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

We are likely to have much more space than the 1 open scholarship.  With NBA/Pro options, early graduation, and personal decision transfers.  However, if we whiff on this recruiting class, maybe we will be forced to internally recruit and keep what we have.  Who knows?  Its been an interesting off season so far and is bound to stay that way. 

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="75029" timestamp="1406042489"]We are likely to have much more space than the 1 open scholarship. With NBA/Pro options, early graduation, and personal decision transfers. However, if we whiff on this recruiting class, maybe we will be forced to internally recruit and keep what we have. Who knows? Its been an interesting off season so far and is bound to stay that way. [/quote] Yeah I'm only stating what we technically have because of the uncertainty. It was discussed elsewhere, but it doesn't seem that we have any NBA options after this season. Transfers average about 2 or so a year in the NCAA so we'll see what happen come April.

Yeah I'm only stating what we technically have because of the uncertainty. It was discussed elsewhere, but it doesn't seem that we have any NBA options after this season. Transfers average about 2 or so a year in the NCAA so we'll see what happen come April. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

"We'll see what happens come April"

Funny quote considering transfer talk. Not intentional, but made me laugh.

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="75038" timestamp="1406049727"]"We'll see what happens come April"

Funny quote considering transfer talk. Not intentional, but made me laugh.[/quote] Lol. Unintentional foreshadowing?