Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

#USMNT - 2014 World Cup

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="70703" timestamp="1403015728"]World Cup could very well be my favorite sporting event out there[/quote]

Overall I would say the same for me too. Never was really into soccer until 2010 when I went to a Bundesliga game between Borussia Dortmund and FC Koln that I really started to enjoy the game and it also helped the World Cup was that summer. Learned a lot since then and catch a game whenever I can and also have gotten into the Premier League. The World Cup is an outstanding event.

So I was wondering about our last game with Germany.. if the Germans have already clinched a spot to get out of group play and into the round of 16 by the time we play them, how would that affect how they play the USA?   do you think they may be a bit lackluster in effort? or possibly even try to be strategic with it and attempt to allow a draw in order for Portugal to remain out of the round of 16?  just thoughts...

[quote name="Scohutch" post="70719" timestamp="1403026101"]So I was wondering about our last game with Germany.. if the Germans have already clinched a spot to get out of group play and into the round of 16 by the time we play them, how would that affect how they play the USA? do you think they may be a bit lackluster in effort? or possibly even try to be strategic with it and attempt to allow a draw in order for Portugal to remain out of the round of 16? just thoughts...[/quote]

Hopefully it won't matter. If we win Sunday we should (emphasis on should) clench a spot in the knockout round. A tie could clench. If we tie Sunday, and Portugal goes on to beat Ghana, it would come down to goal differential (that's assuming we lose to Germany). Considering Germany beat Portugal by 4, as long as Germany doesn't completely maul us, we would advance. So, if we at least tie Sunday (big if), we just would need to keep from being destroyed in the final game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well, Belgium just escaped what could have been a very embarrassing defeat to Algeria.

First round complete. Plenty of drama and excitement. Bring on the second round. Can't wait to see what's in store. 

[quote name="Will_Padgman" post="70722" timestamp="1403027616"]Well, Belgium just escaped what could have been a very embarrassing defeat to Algeria.

First round complete. Plenty of drama and excitement. Bring on the second round. Can't wait to see what's in store. [/quote]

Still have Russia and South Korea to finish round the first set of games

[quote name="BlueDevil2aHoosier" post="70724" timestamp="1403027896"]Still have Russia and South Korea to finish round the first set of games[/quote]

So......first tound is complete...? Lol

I'm thinking we realistically need 3 goals to win and 2 to tie. I don't see us holding them under 2 goals. That counter attack will really stretch us. Hopefully we get the first strike again, Unfortunately I can see the flood gates opening for them as they need some SERIOUS scoring to improve their GD.

[quote name="Scohutch" post="70719" timestamp="1403026101"]So I was wondering about our last game with Germany.. if the Germans have already clinched a spot to get out of group play and into the round of 16 by the time we play them, how would that affect how they play the USA? do you think they may be a bit lackluster in effort? or possibly even try to be strategic with it and attempt to allow a draw in order for Portugal to remain out of the round of 16? just thoughts...[/quote]

It's an interesting thought, there could be some of that, but I would guess Jurgen will be receiving Germany's best effort.

So......first tound is complete...? Lol

Lmao yes because I don't give a damn about that game

Yes, yes, so I spaced about a game. Forgive the young gun. :P

Pepe getting a red card helps us tremendously, he was a big body that could eat space during dead ball situations. Wish we would have Jozy for this match, but feel like we can scalp a couple goals from corners. Just need Bradly to show up in better form than he showed vs Ghana.