Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mdn82

Rapid Reaction IU vs UConn

Well, losing sucks.  There is no way around that.  I could hear Herm Edwards ringing through my head as I find myself not as mad as I should be.  Noah Vonleh was 0-1 with 2 rebounds, 4 turnovers, and 4 fouls.  We had a shot to win.  Yogi Ferrell was our best player on the court in the money time and went 6-19 and we had a chance to win.  How did we have a chance to win against a legit top 25 team on a night where our 2 best players were struggling this bad?  Depth and defense.  UConn did things you would expect a team to do of that caliber at times.  However, we made them look human offensively.  In the past, under Crean we lose this game by 20+. 

As a team it isn't pretty, but it isn't as bad as you would think for how we started.  The good guys ended up with 17 turnovers.  We ended up shooting 40.8% from the field as a team which is pretty decent considering the level of defense we were up against.  From the line, IU was 15-22.  Far fewer than previous games, but you would expect that.  The true test for IU would be on the boards.  On a night where Vonleh was non-existent we still ended up flush on the boards with 34 apiece which is astonishing.  Props to Devin Davis for his 7 boards in the game.  He had his issues down the stretch with 2 costly turnovers, but that is what you get with freshman.  

Individually, it was downright ugly.  If you look across the list of every player, is there any player who you can say honestly had a good game?  Tom Sheehey was decent with 12 points and 4 boards.  Yogi was as inefficient as you will ever see.  Evan Gordon went 3-3 for 6 points.  Devin Davis got 7 and 7.  Jeremy had 7, but was really hit and miss no more and no less than Yogi and Noah.  Troy was especially quiet after a fantastic game on Thursday.  If someone can look at the stats,  http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400518815 and explain to me how we had a shot to win, I would be grateful.  I can't even comprehend how this was a 1 point game.  

What to take away from this game?  Well, I think this game will be the game where these kids at some point in their career point back to as a point where they realize they can be pretty good.  Shooting can be improved by work during the summer.  You can't teach that heart, defense, and athleticism that carried us in that game.  No way should we have been in that game.  Crean hates losing more than anyone of us, but he will put that tape in and show them how they stayed in that game.  A loss sucks.  No way around that.  We will lose games this year, but we learned a lot about the heart this team will carry all year and beyond.  There will be bumps along the road, but win or lose this team is exciting and easy to cheer on.  

[url=https://btownbanners.com/page/articles.html/_/basketball/rapid-reactions/rapid-reaction-iu-vs-uconn-r107]This post has been promoted to an article[/url]

I think it was actually Noah that never showed up.

Not going to argue that one.  How we lost by one is beyond me.  Napier had one hell of a game and we lose by one.  

One thing I learned over the last two games, Jeremy Hollowell is the worst and should transfer. Coach runs garbage plays even though the players miss open shots or make mistakes.

Feeling educated!

I am learning more every day.  

I couldn't disagree more with jaybob. JH is adjusting to his new role and is struggling but his upside is large. I have no doubt by B1G time he will be an important contributor.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I couldn't disagree more with jaybob. JH is adjusting to his new role and is struggling but his upside is large. I have no doubt by B1G time he will be an important contributor.

Jaybob was being sarcastic. He was just describing what a certain poster keeps saying about Jeremy.

ps, I agree with your assessment of Jeremy.

Sorry, but like Hwy said, I was being sarcastic. JH is struggling right now, but I feel he is like LaQuinton Ross from OSU. Once it clicks for JH, look out!

Sent from my DROID4 using BtownBanners mobile app

Sorry, but like mdn said, I was being sarcastic. JH is struggling right now, but I feel he is like LaQuinton Ross from OSU. Once it clicks for JH, look out!

And despite what some are griping about, he's probably not going to learn it on the bench. Furthermore, using him as a ballhandler as much as CTC is, may be because we need another ball handler or two, and he is the most prepared to fill that role. 

Sorry, but like mdn said, I was being sarcastic. JH is struggling right now, but I feel he is like LaQuinton Ross from OSU. Once it clicks for JH, look out!

Why are you always crediting mdn for my brilliant posting?

I agree JH needs some playing time to help him try to reach his potential and I realize if we want him to reach that potential he has to be in some tough game situations or he will never know how to handle them.....

With that being said there is absolutely no viable reason he is he inbouder with .7 seconds left in a game we are down 1.... He is not ready for that... Crean had a nice play drawn up, it didn't come open so JH HAS to KNOW to call the last timeout and get a reset... I thought for sure he was going to get a 5 second call, but instead he inbouds to NV with his back to the basket.... no possible way you can get off a turnaround jumper in .7 (Bad decision)

Also on the rebound of Yogi's miss he did go after the ball but couldn't hang onto it... if he gets a strong rebound he has a chance to go straight back up with it and be a hero.... (Bad technical skils)

I am not one to say he should transfer or even move behind Marlin & Howard in the rotation but until he figures something out he needs to play less.... If CTC wants him to become the other ball handler then play him while Yogi is out and let him focus on that 1 part of his game.... but to play him that many minutes and expect him to do that much.... he just isn't ready for it (yet - hopefully)

Haha, my bad.  That's what I get for posting right when I wake up.  I will change it, only because your favorite baseball team is pretty awesome :)

Well, I do have that going for me... not much else but I do have that.

Look the whole team did not play well to pick apart individual effotts is shameful. Remember the team name is hoosiers that means they win as a team and lose as a team, not noah lost, yogi lost, will lost, and on and on so please do not place blame obviously if you are on this app you are a hoodier fan win lose or draw. I still see a great season ahead of this young team

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

Look the whole team did not play well to pick apart individual effotts is shameful. Remember the team name is hoosiers that means they win as a team and lose as a team, not noah lost, yogi lost, will lost, and on and on so please do not place blame obviously if you are on this app you are a hoodier fan win lose or draw. I still see a great season ahead of this young team

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

Well said.  There is definitely nothing wrong with being critical of someone's play, but you really do have to be careful how you word it.  Bashing players accomplishes nothing but make yourself look bad (putting it nicely lol). 

I was talking with Natural, and we both agree this team will be good, but will not be a top 25 team this season.  When the first bracketology came out and we were a 9 seed, I felt it wasn't off really.  I feel this team will be around the 7-9 range.  It's not because they are bad, but it's because they just lack a few things that will lose close games.  To me, they will be a Top 40 team that will be in every game, but will struggle to win those close games. 

They will be fine, and this is a great team.  I do agree that we are a team no one will want to face in March, because we can give anyone a good game every night out. 

I think CTC has made some strides. I was one of the many ripping him for poor in game adjustments last year but when you have the players he did last year you almost have to rely on the leaders to make those adjustments and adapt to the game. This year, at least in the last two games, I thought CTC has done a much better job being an in game coach which will be necessary with this younger team.