Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HoosierJacoby

Boeheim to surpass Knight in all-time D1 victories

Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim is well on his way to passing Bobby Knight for second on the list of Division 1 all-time victories.  Syracuse is up almost 30 points over Rutgers in the second half.  This will put Boeheim at 903 wins.  

1.  Coach K - 939 (1975-present)

2.  Boeheim - 903 (1976-present)

3.  Coach Knight - 902 (1965-2008)

Who is the greatest college basketball coach of all time in your opinion? 

Edit: It's official now, a 78-53 win for Syracuse gets Boeheim to 903.

Doug Gottlieb (@GottliebShow) tweeted this at Seth Davis regarding Boeheim/Knight: "@SethDavisHoops if you think JB has had the same impact on hoops as Knight u are high"     I think we can all agree.

I think it depends on what kind of coach you prefer. Boeheim is decent, but I personally believe the other two are still in a class of their own. 

Now, if you like the angry, get in your face, tough, nitty-gritty type, obviously The General is the choice, and I believe him to be one of the greatest basketball minds of all time.

But Coach K just has something about him. He is a very great mind, and is someone that can be looked up to (not that Knight isn't, but come on, sometimes Knight's anger is misplaced and unnecessary). I think Coach K is the better coach overall, but only just so over Knight.

Gottlieb also tweeted this regarding Knight vs. Boeheim..

"Doug Gottlieb@GottliebShow

Knights teams played 7-10 less games (no conf tourney - less games overall)and played round robin vs Big Ten when Big10was king #facts"

I'd have to go with Coach K as well, but I agree with Gottlieb that Knight clearly stands out over Boeheim.  The difference, to me, between Knight and Krzyzewski is K's ability to adapt to a new era of athlete and a new era of basketball.  Lot of respect for Coach Knight though, personally not so much.