Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mdn82

Rapid Reaction LIU-Brooklyn vs. Indiana

The Hoosiers Struggled early, but were able to overcome their slow start on way to a 73-72 victory Tuesday Night.Welcome to the 2013-14 version of the Indiana Hoosiers everyone! That was what we should come to expect for this season. The unexpected. We are talented. We are also very young. We came out like most would have expected, jumping out to an early lead. Then, our youth seemed to take over it seemed. Suddenly we turned into a jump shooting team, missing shot after shot. Will had about as bad of a half as one will ever see him have. I can't even say we "righted" the ship. We survived. That is it.

The announcers appointed Will as the player of the game, but this was all Noah Vonleh. His 17 and 11 were so much bigger than Will's 19/7/6. Some will disagree with that, but without what Noah did in the First Half, we don't win this game. Yogi put up 17 points in a game where he was frustrated most of the night. Troy had 9 and 6. Jeremy had 6 and 6. Beyond that, it was slim pickings for the Hoosiers. Stan had some key minutes on both ends as did Devin.

As a team we did what you would expect on the boards. We out-rebounded them 48-35. One area more wouldn't have expected us to improve in this type of game is with the turnovers. We had 14 in a game that was up and down, and as ugly as the women in West Lafayette. We did have 13 assists on 27 field goals. I don't expect there to be many games where we shoot under 40% and win. This counts as one. A lucky one.

As fans we don't like to see this type of a win so early in the season. There will be positives that come from this game. Noah took this game and put it on his shoulders in the First Half when it seemed we had lost control. As a freshman the only thing more impressive is his patience in hectic moments. This game was no fun for anyone. There is no sugar coating that. This is just one game that will help the kids that matter more than all of us. They are young, but they all helped us age a little more on this evening.

[url=https://btownbanners.com/page/articles.html/_/basketball/rapid-reactions/rapid-reaction-liu-brooklyn-vs-indiana-r85]Click here to view the article[/url]

Noah was big in the first half, but I have to credit Will.  He stepped up in the second.

No doubt about that.  I preferred Noah's game due to him being consistent and keeping us in the game.  Will's first half was a huge part of us being down.  He just did not stop shooting in the first half.  His mid-range opened up that outside shot.  He is just not an outside shooter.  If he lives at 15 feet we would have won by 10+ and he would have scored 25.  Easy to live in hindsight, but that has been his game for 4 years.  

Nice recap.  Good job.

That game was fun to watch tho.  I saw some improvement from the young guys learning to get the ball to Noah and also others like Jeremy and Troy inside, and Yogi busted their zone on more than one occasion driving straight through it in the second half.

I hate it when the team gets lazy and just launches like it did in the first half.  If you're gonna do that, why don't you just play a game of H-O-R-S-E in front of 17,000 people?

Anyway, I liked some of our defensive play.  Leaving that sharpshooter open in the second half was the unpardonable sin tho lol.

I love Troy, Devin, and Stan.

Would have liked to have seen a little more Stan on the offensive end in the second half.

No doubt about that.  I preferred Noah's game due to him being consistent and keeping us in the game.  Will's first half was a huge part of us being down.  He just did not stop shooting in the first half.  His mid-range opened up that outside shot.  He is just not an outside shooter.  If he lives at 15 feet we would have won by 10+ and he would have scored 25.  Easy to live in hindsight, but that has been his game for 4 years.  

I believe we would have lost the game if most of we fans were coaching, because we would have sat Will after the first half, and that would have been the end of it. Noah kept us in it, Will knocked down some huge shots in the final 10 mins.

No way anybody would have sat will after the first half. I knew we needed him the ball just wasn't falling but if it never did we would hsve lost and I am not a huge will fan

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe we would have lost the game if most of we fans were coaching, because we would have sat Will after the first half, and that would have been the end of it. Noah kept us in it, Will knocked down some huge shots in the final 10 mins.

Completely agree.  I personally think Will is better off of the bench.  A couple of years ago he was hot as a 6th man and we tried starting him for a couple of games.  Didn't work.  Crean even said then, for whatever reason Will can't get going at the start of the game.  I personally would like to see Will stay inside the 3 pt line to start the game.  Even if he would have hit the first few, it just makes him one dimensional when he is thinking 3.  Will is a smart kid though.  He will see it and come back better.  

I hate it when we come out launching.  Make an easy shot or two first, then you can start getting fancy lol

Will is the biggest factor with this - I am OK with him taking the 3 - as long as he has seen one or two go in already in the night

I agree about Will not being an outside shooter.  As a sophomore he shot nearly 40%, but now I'd rather he not take one.  He was definitely too trigger happy in the first, though thankfully his shots started falling.

Will is the biggest factor with this - I am OK with him taking the 3 - as long as he has seen one or two go in already in the night

yeh, whatever happened to getting a shot or two in the basket first?  I get that they were packing the lane against us, but we don't even really seem to try to penetrate at the beginning of games sometimes.  

I hate that.

yeh, whatever happened to getting a shot or two in the basket first?  I get that they were packing the lane against us, but we don't even really seem to try to penetrate at the beginning of games sometimes.  

I hate that.

Crean sounded agitated after... took him a while before he came out to the media guys 

Crean sounded agitated after... took him a while before he came out to the media guys 

I haven't gone to Inside the Hall to hear the post game stuff, not sure if I will find the time to do that or not.

Did he say anything about Stan not taking a shot in the second half and why that never happened?

Pure shooters shoot themselves out of slumps.  Will just isn't a pure shooter.  He looked gawd awful tonight. 

Leadership.  Leadership.  Leadership.  There is no clear cut leader on this team.  I'd love to see Yogi just slow it down a touch.  He reminds me of Oladipo his sophomore year.  Not from a talent perspective, but from a he's-moving-faster-than-the-game-will-allow perspective.  Once he fines that balance the kid will be great. 

Noah is spectacular.  Just like we expected.  He's a freshman and will make frosh mistakes, but he'll mature as the season progresses.  He's really good. 

I expected more Luke Fischer.  Maybe it was his comparisons to CZ (even if only in body type) but he just seemed lost.  Didn't know which way was up/down/left/right.  Again, Freshman, I get it.  Just anticipated more.

Kudo's to Brickman on LIU.  That kid is good.  He has awesome BB-IQ.  He's a fun one to watch!

GO HOOSIERS!  Bring on Samford!