Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

(2019) SF Trendon Watford to LSU

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Watford coming here for an official visit? If he wins his game that starts in 20 minutes they play the state championship on Saturday. 

Did he win?

EDIT: Found the AHSAA twitter feed. TW and Mountain Brook won 59-48.

Edited by IUaic

Unless Watford drags this recruitment out, I don’t see us getting him. Really never read much about our coaching staff being involved like the other schools. He still never made that official visit. I don’t get insider information, but just doesn’t seem likely.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Game played earlier today.

BIRMINGHAM -- A cast of college basketball coaches rendezvoused at Legacy Arena on Thursday morning for the Class 7A state semifinal between Mountain Brook and Lee-Montgomery. 

Memphis' Penny Hardaway. Alabama's Avery Johnson. Two of Mike Krzyzewski's assistants at Duke. 

All were there to check out Mountain Brook High School senior Trendon Watford, a five-star forward still looking for a college home. 

But on a day when Watford drew so much attention — from both coaches and defenders — it was another Mountain Brook senior who stepped up to lead the Spartans to their third consecutive state final.

Alex Washington, a Harvard football signee, scored 14 consecutive points in the second half to help his team hold off Lee-Montgomery 59-48. 

"I just kept shooting," said Washington, who recorded a game-high 19 points. "I was shooting with confidence." 

Washington drained four 3-pointers during his scorching stretch, which spanned from the end of the third quarter to the end of the fourth.

After canning his final 3, taken from the right wing near the Mountain Brook bench with under two minutes to play, he turned to his teammates.

They've seen him do it before. 

"He always does," said Watford, when asked if he'd witnessed a similar showing in practice. 

Mountain Brook (30-3) needed Washington to heat up when he did. After trailing by three at the half, 24-21, Lee-Montgomery (29-4) came out firing post-intermission. 

The Generals sank five 3-pointers in the third period and led by as many as six points. Demond Robinson (14) and Nicholas Barnes (12) paced their team in scoring. 

Mountain Brook carried a one-point lead, 41-40, into the final quarter. Spartans head coach Bucky McMillan gave his team simple instructions to counter Lee-Montgomery's run.  

"Please find No. 10, because he's got it going," McMillan said in regard to Barnes, who hit four 3s. 

Lee-Montgomery started the fourth quarter with another 3 but then cooled off. Washington never did. His prolific effort enabled the Spartans to overcome a performance that McMillan said was far from their best.

The victory was his 300th as a coach. 

"Sometimes it's better to win ugly than lose pretty," he said. "That's kind of what I felt it was." 

Mountain Brook started sluggishly and trailed 15-10 after one quarter. The Spartans committed eight turnovers against Lee-Montgomery's full-court press in the opening frame. 

Watford, who tallied 14 points and 13 rebounds, provided a spark early in the second. He scored five straight points to pull his team even, 15-15, before three minutes had run off the clock. 

Lior Berman, another senior, picked up the torch from there. As Lee-Montgomery defenders hounded Watford, Berman found a way to get to the basket. He scored 11 points in the first half, most of them coming on layups. 

"I knew we were struggling at first, and we were turning the ball over," said Berman, who finished with 17 points. "...I just wanted to attack the rim and do everything I could." 

Mountain Brook will vie for its third straight state title on Saturday against either Hoover or Baker. Tipoff is at 5:45 p.m. at Legacy Arena. 

On 2/27/2019 at 10:38 PM, Hoosier1984 said:

Hopefully he sees how well Jordan Tucker worked out with Duke with them jumping in last second as a last option

Should've gone to Butler to begin with. 

History is made in Alabama!   Mountain Brook is the first large school to win 3 straight state championships!

Mountain Brook remains on top of Class 7A.

Trendon Watford capped his remarkable high school career with 22 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Spartans (31-3) to a 61-42 victory over Baker in tonight’s 7A championship game at Birmingham’s Legacy Arena.

The victory gives Mountain Brook three straight 7A state titles and five in the last seven seasons.

Baker (21-14) was shooting for its first state basketball championship.

Added:  Watford also blocked 4 shots and was 12-13 on FTs.

Let me throw something out there. Right before Romeo committed, there were several on here the insinuated that the Langford family was playing the money game during the recruitment. Once the Adidas Reports came out some believe that the family didn't want to get caught up in it and pulled the trigger for us. Same scenario, with the Watford family....some on here with the same accusations. With possibly KBJ choosing UK, could we see Watford, not wanting to get caught up with the LSU fiasco and our offer looking better perhaps him pulling for us? Hmmmm I think we are a better option than Memphis and 'Bama.

1 hour ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Let me throw something out there. Right before Romeo committed, there were several on here the insinuated that the Langford family was playing the money game during the recruitment. Once it came out with the Adidas Reports, some believe that the family didn't want to get caught up in it and pulled the trigger for us. Same scenario, with the Watford family....some on here with the same accusations. With possibly KBJ choosing UK, could we see Watford, not wanting to get caught up with the LSU fiasco and our offer looking better perhaps him pulling for us? Hmmmm I think we are a better option than Memphis and 'Bama.

I thought Duke was also an option....

Interesting development...

Memphis just picked up another recruit for the 2019 class. While the commit was only a 6’4” guard, Memphis now has three recruits for the 2019 season at or over 6’7”, the #2 player in the nation at Center, an unproven coach, and retuning big men.

I think it’d be crazy to go to LSU right now, especially before everything presumably blows over.

Is it too much of wishful thinking to believe that would leave Watford with just us, Bama, and a Duke team still in the run for Matthew Hurt that hasn’t offered Watford...

I’m kinda starting to like our chances even more even though I don’t think it happens unless Brooks goes elsewhere

45 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

Interesting development...

Memphis just picked up another recruit for the 2019 class. While the commit was only a 6’4” guard, Memphis now has three recruits for the 2019 season at or over 6’7”, the #2 player in the nation at Center, an unproven coach, and retuning big men.

I think it’d be crazy to go to LSU right now, especially before everything presumably blows over.

Is it too much of wishful thinking to believe that would leave Watford with just us, Bama, and a Duke team still in the run for Matthew Hurt that hasn’t offered Watford...

I’m kinda starting to like our chances even more even though I don’t think it happens unless Brooks goes elsewhere

I would also throw in Avery Johnson is starting to take some heat at Bama. If they miss the tourney this year which they likely will unless they can get a few wins in the SEC tourney his seat could be warm. 

I would also throw in Avery Johnson is starting to take some heat at Bama. If they miss the tourney this year which they likely will unless they can get a few wins in the SEC tourney his seat could be warm. 

I completely agree. We’re all a little biased here, but if you look at what Archie is doing with Morgan, Davis, and his body of work with stretch 4’s at Dayton, it seems like an obvious decision.

Not even factoring in the love he would immediately get from the IU fan base

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

If we miss on Brooks, you gotta think Watford takes an even closer look at us.

I don't.  I don't care that he's continued to list IU among his schools.  I don't believe there's any genuine mutual interest and hasn't been for a long time.