Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

(2019) SF Trendon Watford to LSU

1 minute ago, ramadden13 said:

I mean I disagree with the stark in-state, out-of-state distinction, and it seems so do you. Garland is out-of-state but you seem to include him with the in-state kids (I know he used to live in-state). I understand why we use these labels. We want a sense of inevitability around the state that Indiana kids will come to IU; it helps if recruits grow up thinking of IU as the logical choice. However, the labels are also so tiresome. Garland is a perfect example. He grew up in-state but now he lives out-of-state. Is he an in-state kid or an out-of-state kid? So tiresome. Watford is the same kind of kid. Out-of-state but with a connection that we should be trying to use. We ignore these possible advantages at our own peril.

I think your choices listed above are self-defeating for #1. If that's how you recruit out-of-state kids you might as well not bother. Other schools get this right. Roy Williams visits Romeo enough to stay on his mind even if he's not at every game for example. Crean never found a balance. I hope Archie manages to balance between Crean's philosophy and the one you seem to state above.

I absolutely don't see a strict in-state/out of state distinction, but proximity is important. Especially for kids that have an excellent family life and want their folks to attend games wherever they end up. Papa Watford made a very, very long drive to almost every IU home game. I'm pretty sure he's not all that hot-fired on doing that again with Trendon.

Garland is expressing real interest in a way that Trendon is not - ie; "I grew up a Hoosier", Papa Garland a lifelong Hoosier fan, Nashville Tn is a 30 min propjet flight. 

FWIW, currently we are not UNC for recruits (or for potential of NCAA sanctions, thank goodness) and cannot stop by now and then for 5* kids with any real impact.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I absolutely don't see a strict in-state/out of state distinction, but proximity is important. Especially for kids that have an excellent family life and want their folks to attend games wherever they end up. Papa Watford made a very, very long drive to almost every IU home game. I'm pretty sure he's not all that hot-fired on doing that again with Trendon.

Garland is expressing real interest in a way that Trendon is not - ie; "I grew up a Hoosier", Papa Garland a lifelong Hoosier fan, Nashville Tn is a 30 min propjet flight. 

FWIW, currently we are not UNC for recruits (or for potential of NCAA sanctions, thank goodness) and cannot stop by now and then for 5* kids with any real impact.

Yeah I edited my post while you were posting to say that this isn't really about you. It just so happens you presented an opportunity for me to vent a general frustration. I do think Watford is the type of kid we could stop by now and then and remain in the conversation though. He already knows IU, but we risk not being considered if we don't show enough interest.

17 minutes ago, ramadden13 said:

Yeah I edited my post while you were posting to say that this isn't really about you. It just so happens you presented an opportunity for me to vent a general frustration. I do think Watford is the type of kid we could stop by now and then and remain in the conversation though. He already knows IU, but we risk not being considered if we don't show enough interest.

Oh... no offense taken at all!

I just think that while we have a shot with five star kids currently, to have that shot we need to show a special kind of love (and the resources that follow) at this point (unlike UNC, Duke, UK, Kansas). Not seeing indications that Trendon is where those resources should be devoted.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh... no offense taken at all!

I just think that while we have we have a shot with five star kids currently, to have that shot we need to show a special kind of love (and the resources that follow) at this point (unlike UNC, Duke, UK, Kansas). Not seeing indications that Trendon is where those resources should be devoted.

Maybe. I would personally take the "recruit and drop in now and then" approach and reassess in a year when you have a good idea of where you stand with kids. Keep your options open.

Maybe. I would personally take the "recruit and drop in now and then" approach and reassess in a year when you have a good idea of where you stand with kids. Keep your options open.

This is where in-state schools that are close to a recruit gain an advantage. While the prospects are freshman and sophomores off campus contact is not permitted but unofficial visits by the prospect to the university is unlimited.
https://recruitlook.com/2016-2017-ncaa-mens-basketball-recruiting-calendars/

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Listening to Peegs podcast. He mentioned that there is a connection between the Watford's and Schilling. I guess Watfords have worked out with Schilling. Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This staff has connections everywhere. I was a bit hesitant that Archie was overselling his ability to build the best staff in college basketball. I believe Archie is going to have a long successful career at IU.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

This staff has connections everywhere. I was a bit hesitant that Archie was overselling his ability to build the best staff in college basketball. I believe Archie is going to have a long successful career at IU.

Yep and thank god we haven't heard the word rebuild once. 

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I figured it was being over hyped too, but I've very impressed with the staff he ended up putting together. I'm not sure if I should say impressed or downright shocked. lol