Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

(2019) SF Trendon Watford to LSU

INTERVIEW: 1-on-1 with Alabama Challenge freshman Trendon Watford

04/13/2016, 8:45pm EDT
By Alec Kinsky, D1Circuit

The words 'freshman' and 'EYBL' aren't used in the same sentence very often. Its truly is rare to see a player compete two age levels up, and it's even more rare that said player is a difference-maker.

Consider Trendon Watford a trailblazer, then, because the Alabama Challenge freshman plans to do just that.

'Difference-maker' may be an understatement for the Mountain Brook (Alabama) star. This young man is going to make noise immediately, and is running alongside some extremely high-level talent.

D1 caught up with the fabulous freshman, and Watford proceeded to give us a tremendous interview. 

Alec Kinsky: Not many freshman get the opportunity to play in the 17U EYBL. How pumped are you?

Trendon Watford: I’m excited about it, last year I played 16U in the EYBL and that developed my game a lot. Every game was a battle and you’re always playing against top players.

AK: Does playing against top competition bring the best out in your game?

Watford: Yeah, I just try to be the best player I can be against other teams, and dominate my opponent.

AK: What’s it like playing with Rayshaun? I imagine you two will be quite the duo.

Watford: It’s been great already. Rayshaun is always ready to play and always plays above the rim. We are both two versatile players.

AK: You mention your versatility, how much time do you dedicate to building each aspect of your game?

Watford: Lots of time! I’m in the gym every day working on getting better. Me being versatile makes it hard for other teams to decide whether to put a big or a guard on me. Being able to do multiple things allows me to stretch the floor more and opens up shots for my teammates.

AK: What has the Alabama Challenge program done for you so far?

Watford: They’ve developed my game a lot, and we got to the best tournaments.

AK: When did basketball first become a point of emphasis for you?

Watford: Probably about 7th grade. That’s when I really started developing my game a lot.

AK: When you look to the future, what will make basketball a success for you in the long run?

Watford: I want to be one of the greatest to play. Basketball (will be a success) because it will take me a long way.

AK: Any hobbies outside of hoops?

Watford: XBox and pretty much just chill.

AK: If you have to steal one skill from any other player and have it as your own, what would it be?

Watford: Kobe’s mentality, no doubt.

AK: How much knowledge do you pull from your older brother? I imagine he’s a tremendous resource for you.

Watford: A lot! He’s been through it all and knows what it takes to get to the next level. That’s why he pushes me to get better all the time.

AK: What would you say is your biggest motivator?

Watford: Just me wanting to be the best player to come out of Alabama, and have the ability to influence kids.

Alabama Challenge F Trendon Watford (@Trendon_2): 20 PTS, 6 REB vs Spiece Indy Heat in 30 min. of action.  He was 5 of 11 from the field  and only 8 of 15 from the charity stripe (ouch).  Also had 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 blk.  Spiece beat Alabama 77 - 68.

Jaren Jackson (Park Tudor) playing only 24 minutes on the Spiece team had himself quite a ballgame with 35 pts. on 10 of 13 from the field; 6 of 8 on 3's and 9 of 10 from the foul line.  He also had 9 reb., and 3 blks.

Recap of Trendon Watford at EYBL in Indy:

4/22 – Alabama Challenge lost to MoKan 83 – 67.   21 pts on 6 of 12 from the field; 5 of 7 on 3’s; 5 reb; 2 assists; 1 TO.

4/23 – Alabama Challenge lost to NY Lightning 69 – 66.  17 pts. on 6 of 16 from the field; 3 of 9 on 3’s; 4 reb.; 1 assist; 4 TO’s.

4/23 – Alabama Challenge lost to Oakland 77 – 73.  14 pts. on 6 of 15 from the field; 1 of 3 on 3’s; 10 reb; 3 assists; 4 TO’s.

4/24 – Alabama Challenge beat LV Prospects 68 – 65.  18 pts. on 9 of 17 from the field; 0 for 4 on 3’s; 6 reb; 2 assists; 2 TO’s.

5/13 - Beat Team United 60 - 57.  9 pts on 4 of 10 from the field; 1 of 3 on 3's; 0 for 2 FT's; 7 reb; 1 assist; 3 TO's; 1 stl.

5/14 – Lost to The RENS 80 – 71.  15 pts. on 7 of 17 from the field 0 for 7 on 3’s; 1 of 2 FT’s; 6 reb; 1 assist; 2 TO’s; 1 stl; 1 blk.