Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

(2019) SF Trendon Watford to LSU

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

As long as the university isn’t on tourney probation(they should be) then it may not matter if wade is there or not to kids like Watford. The coach isn’t the only pull, sometimes it’s the location, the money, players etc

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Case in point: Arizona. Don't they have the #1 recruiting class now, while being in the headlines non-stop over the last year for cheating allegations? Have to think there is at least a reasonable chance Sean could be fired at any time....yet that had no effect on hauling in a the top class.  Ridiculous. 

Case in point: Arizona. Don't they have the #1 recruiting class now, while being in the headlines non-stop over the last year for cheating allegations? Have to think there is at least a reasonable chance Sean could be fired at any time....yet that had no effect on hauling in a the top class.  Ridiculous. 

I had an interesting conversation with my mother about Rick Pitino a few years back. Her thought was kids see the coach as “sticking it to the man” and it gives them a better rep with certain players and their crews. I could see that being the case along with boatloads of $$$.

Yep and they just made the top four for a 2020 5 star. It has no impact on the recruits.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I had an interesting conversation with my mother about Rick Pitino a few years back. Her thought was kids see the coach as “sticking it to the man” and it gives them a better rep with certain players and their crews. I could see that being the case along with boatloads of $$$.

I think there is absolutely a growing sentiment among recruits and families of recruits that the NCAA is 'sticking it to them', so getting paid is now more looked at as a badge of honor as opposed to years ago when you were blackballed as "dirty". Getting paid used to be a scarlet letter, but there's no longer a stigma attached to it by the players and families, it's now more of a "go get mine, I deserve it" mentality. Some of the coaches that pay are definitely benefiting from this. 

I really think both are truly solid points. You really get the feel of the old guard coming down, and this is just the way it is. I still feel $300k is light for their worth. Nobody can tell me Zion wasn’t worth tens of millions to the NCAA. If you had him in the title game I feel there are many more casual viewers. March Madness is the biggest money maker for the NCAA. That’s a fact, and it is also a star driven viewing experience. The title game was fantastic, but the casual kid watches Zion. He drives ratings. He should get his imo.

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I really think both are truly solid points. You really get the feel of the old guard coming down, and this is just the way it is. I still feel $300k is light for their worth. Nobody can tell me Zion wasn’t worth tens of millions to the NCAA. If you had him in the title game I feel there are many more casual viewers. March Madness is the biggest money maker for the NCAA. That’s a fact, and it is also a star driven viewing experience. The title game was fantastic, but the casual kid watches Zion. He drives ratings. He should get his imo.

Your point about Zion brings up a point that is related. 1 of the reasons I want rid of 1 and done is I feel having these stars is bad for the league. I really feel that the superstar discount is beginning to get out of hand in officiating. Both Pro and college. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I agree with your point, the NCAA, ACC, Duke, all the broadcast partners, etc. all made millions off of Zion Williamson. That's absolutely accurate and true. 

But at the same time, Zion himself also made tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars off the exposure and branding he received by playing college basketball. He would not have been the #1 pick if he came right out of high school and the branding and exposure he received playing college basketball will garner him a $100 million shoe deal which would not have happened if he was allowed to go the NBA right out of high school, as well as other endorsements. 

Zion Williamson benefited incredibly by playing college basketball. 

...without even getting a degree from the prestigious Duke University.

Yeah, this seems to be lost in this world of instant gratification.

I get it - it used to be getting a free college education was enough, and then college ball became a huge business. The fact is though, the players wouldn't gain popularity and get exposure if the networks weren't making money off of it. The shoe companies wouldn't be giving millions to the players if they weren't making money off of it. Colleges and coaches wouldn't fight for players to be on their team if they weren't making money off of it. At the end of the day, consumers and taxpayers are footing the bill for the whole thing.

The athletes can say they are being taken advantage of, but they are also benefiting... like almost everyone else. Many players wouldn't be considering leaving school early without the exposure they got from the tournament.

The fact that we haven't come up with a better system for players that really have no interest in college is the problem. But then again, the NCAA has a dog in the fight. Do you think they really want to lose their piece of the pie?

I agree with your point, the NCAA, ACC, Duke, all the broadcast partners, etc. all made millions off of Zion Williamson. That's absolutely accurate and true. 
But at the same time, Zion himself also made tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars off the exposure and branding he received by playing college basketball. He would not have been the #1 pick if he came right out of high school and the branding and exposure he received playing college basketball will garner him a $100 million shoe deal which would not have happened if he was allowed to go the NBA right out of high school, as well as other endorsements. 

Oh for sure. I absolutely agree both benefited from his time in NCAA. But monetarily is there any other place than the NCAA that Zion doesn’t make $100 million last year? Can you imagine the Zion commercials last year if he could get paid? Imo that would also positively impact the NCAA more than it already did. That isn’t always the case on the flip side obviously.

...without even getting a degree from the prestigious Duke University.
Yeah, this seems to be lost in this world of instant gratification.
I get it - it used to be getting a free college education was enough, and then college ball became a huge business. The fact is though, the players wouldn't gain popularity and get exposure if the networks weren't making money off of it. The shoe companies wouldn't be giving millions to the players if they weren't making money off of it. Colleges and coaches wouldn't fight for players to be on their team if they weren't making money off of it. At the end of the day, consumers and taxpayers are footing the bill for the whole thing.
The athletes can say they are being taken advantage of, but they are also benefiting... like almost everyone else. Many players wouldn't be considering leaving school early without the exposure they got from the tournament.
The fact that we haven't come up with a better system for players that really have no interest in college is the problem. But then again, the NCAA has a dog in the fight. Do you think they really want to lose their piece of the pie?

And severely punishing schools for paying players would hamper their ability to keep those players under their umbrella making them millions.

In a perfect world, players are allowed into the NBA/G-League right out of high school. The players choosing to go to school stay 3 years before they’re draft eligible. This will never happen because the NBA doesn’t want that.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Would not have gotten the exposure if went straight to the G league either. Also, probably would have been paid A LOT less!

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Oh for sure. I absolutely agree both benefited from his time in NCAA. But monetarily is there any other place than the NCAA that Zion doesn’t make $100 million last year? Can you imagine the Zion commercials last year if he could get paid? Imo that would also positively impact the NCAA more than it already did. That isn’t always the case on the flip side obviously.

Tough to answer. He would not have gotten $100 million last summer heading into the NBA season because he wasn't thought of at that level as a player. He wasn't projected to be the #1 pick if he came out last year, so then it would have come down to how good of a rookie season he was having. He he had come right from high school and killed it in the NBA immediately, then he might have earned $100 million in the NBA this past season, but that's an unknown. 

By going to Duke for a year, he'll be a $100 millionaire before he ever steps foot on an NBA court. 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I know there are a lot of moving parts- coaches leaving, players transferring and declaring, etc.....but is waiting until the middle of MAY to choose a school really necessary? Obviously it's not just Watford since it's trending this this way for all the top 50 kids, but it just seems silly.  

Is this thing over yet? Or is everyone assuming it’s LSU. My apologies, I just don’t follow recruiting like I used to years ago

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Assumed to be a money/perks offering southern school.

Amazingly LSU considered leaders, with Alabama and Memphis playing along.

Hard not to assume this is a money grab and highest bidder situation. Pretty sad.

Christian never made the big bucks unfortunately. Trendon and family trying to ensure he does.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:27 PM, Hardwood83 said:

I know there are a lot of moving parts- coaches leaving, players transferring and declaring, etc.....but is waiting until the middle of MAY to choose a school really necessary? Obviously it's not just Watford since it's trending this this way for all the top 50 kids, but it just seems silly.  

I don't like it either, but from a top 50 kid point if view I understand it.  At that point you know which coaches are where, what players have transferred, and mostly where players stand in terms of the draft.  I do wonder a little if Harris would have chosen North Carolina had he known that Christian Keeling would transfer to UNC.  That makes 4 freshman guards plus a grad transfer coming in.  And Keeling is very good.