Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

7 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

I'm not sure who it is yet.

@driven2dominate: Boom #igniteIndiana. 
My staff just landed a top recruit in the country - great wrestler and great character! I can't thank my staff enough for their hard work!

Angel doing Angel things!  I texted my buddy who is a huge B1G/college wrestling fanatic to see if he knew- will update if I hear anything

On 9/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, ccgeneral said:

I'm not sure who it is yet.

@driven2dominate: Boom #igniteIndiana. 
My staff just landed a top recruit in the country - great wrestler and great character! I can't thank my staff enough for their hard work!

@WillieAtFLO: #8 at 152 and #61 overall in the Class of 2020, Derek Gilcher of powerhouse @DCCWrestling commits to @IndianaWR

Track Wrestling Profile

Our first '21 commit. Henry Porter - Oakdale, CA. Ranked #38 nationally.

@BlackPlauge01: I am honored to announce that our son Henry Porter has committed to attend classes and compete for the Indiana University Hoosiers, big thanks to the staff Coach Escobedo, Dixion, Jordan and T-Shirt big things happening in Bloomington #IUWR #Hoosiernation

Track Wrestling Profile

Really kind of a shock to see CCG's post above this :(

Hoosiers Continue Momentum at Journeyman, Ohio Open

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Story Links

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.– The Indiana wrestling team had 11 athletes finish in the top three in their divisions, including four first-place finishes at the Journeyman Classic and the Ohio Intercollegiate Open on Sunday.

At the Journeyman Classic Kyle Luigs, Joey Sanchez, Dillon Hoey and Greg Hagan all captured first-place finishes.

Luigs pinned Zach Firestone of Rutgers in his first-place match in 1:46 to earn the top spot at 133. Joey Sanchez picked up a 21-6 technical fall and outscored his three opponents 43-13 at 157. Hoey, at 165, won by decision, 4-0 against Larry Brown of Lock Haven in his final match and Greg Hagan at 285, earned two falls and a 6-0 decision in his final match.

Of the eight placers at the Journeyman Classic, each placed in the top-three and combined for an overall record of 20-4.

In Cleveland, at the Ohio Open, three Indiana freshmen made the final at their respective weight classes. Cayden Rooks at 133, Nick South at 165 and Donnell Washington at 174 all finished in second-place.

Journeyman Classic
125 Hudkins (3rd)
133 Luigs (1st)
157 Sanchez (1st)
165 Hoey (1st)
165 Tunon (2nd)
184 Hinz (2nd)
197 Kleimola (2nd)
 285 Hagan (1st)

Ohio Intercollegiate Open
133 Cayden Rooks (2nd)
165 Nick South (2nd)
174 DJ Washington (2nd)
149 Luke Baughman (5th)
197 Nick Willham (5th)

Up next the Hoosiers will travel back to New York for the Black Night Invite Nov. 17 at West Point.

I’m a high school head coach here in Indiana.  First year as the head coach. Last year I was the assistant. Angel has assembled a great roster. It’s young but has a lot of talented wrestlers that he kept in state. Several state champs. One three time champ. Several two times state champs. Indiana has always produced top notch wrestlers and the talent in the past 3-4 years was amazing and we let them leave the state or they chose to go to Purdue who put a focus on the region up north (great wrestling up in that area). Goldman focused on the eastern part of the country and had some hits but a lot of misses, but I think that also goes back to him investing a ton of time in the program from what I’ve heard in his final years. If angel can continue hitting the Midwest states hard like he has....this team can compete to be top 5 in conference which is where they should shoot for given the teams in our conference. PSU, OSU, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Minny. There should be 2-3 NCAA qualifiers this year, but in the years to come.....we could see 4-6 every year. His staff has put time in rebuilding relationships throughout the state and coaches are noticing and athletes as well

Santos Cantu had been an O$U verbal.

I have changed my commitment and signed my National Letter of Intent to Indiana University-Bloomington.  Through the grace of god my decision has changed and couldn’t be happier about my new home!

First link is a summary of our 2020 commits.  Second link is the team's participation in Sunday's Black Knight Invite hosted by Army.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2019/11/14/wrestling-adds-four-for-2020-signing-class.aspx?path=wrestling

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2019/11/15/black-knight-invite-next-for-wrestling.aspx

Redshirt junior Jacob Covaciu finished in second-place to highlight the Indiana Wrestling results at the Black Knight Invite on Sunday.  Covaciu, at 174 lbs, started his day with a 14-1 major decision over Anthony Vetrano of Bloomsburg.

In the semi-final Covaciu took down No. 9 Ben Harvey of Army in a 5-3 decision.

Covaciu went up against No. 1 Mark Hall of Penn State in the final and lost in a 14-2 major decision.

Next up the Hoosiers host their home opener on Friday Nov. 22 at 7:00 p.m. ET against North Dakota State.  

Hey mamasa, isn't Columbus East your school district?

Over the course of the 2019-20 wrestling season we will feature newcomers on the team with this Meet the Hoosiers series. This week, Cayden Rooks, a freshman from Columbus, Ind., answered some questions.  

The Hoosiers open the dual match season at home Nov. 22 vs. North Dakota State.

Why did you choose to wrestle at Indiana?

I chose to wrestle at Indiana because of the amazing coaching staff, how close it is to home, the beautiful campus and I wanted to be part of the new wave of wrestling that is happening at IU.

What are you most excited about to begin your Hoosier wrestling career?

I'm excited to practice and get better with the team. I'm also excited to see how far we go this year. Everyone in the room comes ready to battle everyday so this year should be fun.

When did you first start wrestling?

I first started wrestling when I was 4.

What is your favorite wrestling memory?

My favorite wrestling memory is when I won my first high school state championship in 2017. It was amazing and I'll never forget that feeling.

What are you majoring in at Indiana and why?

I'm majoring in psychology because I want to become a counselor or Dean.

What is your favorite meal?

My favorite meal is BuffaLouie's garlic parmesan boneless wings.

What is your favorite TV show?

My favorite TV show is Rick and Morty.

What is your favorite movie?

My favorite movie is Deadpool 2.  

What is your favorite sport other than wrestling?

My favorite sport other than wrestling is football. Bear down!

Who is your sports hero?

My sports hero is Dan Gable.

Rooks, a native of Columbus, Ind., finished with a 128-5 record at Columbus East and was a two-time Indiana State Champion. This season Rooks finished in fourth-place in the fresh/soph MSU Open and second-place at the Ohio Open.

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hey mamasa, isn't Columbus East your school district?

Over the course of the 2019-20 wrestling season we will feature newcomers on the team with this Meet the Hoosiers series. This week, Cayden Rooks, a freshman from Columbus, Ind., answered some questions.  

The Hoosiers open the dual match season at home Nov. 22 vs. North Dakota State.

Why did you choose to wrestle at Indiana?

I chose to wrestle at Indiana because of the amazing coaching staff, how close it is to home, the beautiful campus and I wanted to be part of the new wave of wrestling that is happening at IU.

What are you most excited about to begin your Hoosier wrestling career?

I'm excited to practice and get better with the team. I'm also excited to see how far we go this year. Everyone in the room comes ready to battle everyday so this year should be fun.

When did you first start wrestling?

I first started wrestling when I was 4.

What is your favorite wrestling memory?

My favorite wrestling memory is when I won my first high school state championship in 2017. It was amazing and I'll never forget that feeling.

What are you majoring in at Indiana and why?

I'm majoring in psychology because I want to become a counselor or Dean.

What is your favorite meal?

My favorite meal is BuffaLouie's garlic parmesan boneless wings.

What is your favorite TV show?

My favorite TV show is Rick and Morty.

What is your favorite movie?

My favorite movie is Deadpool 2.  

What is your favorite sport other than wrestling?

My favorite sport other than wrestling is football. Bear down!

Who is your sports hero?

My sports hero is Dan Gable.

Rooks, a native of Columbus, Ind., finished with a 128-5 record at Columbus East and was a two-time Indiana State Champion. This season Rooks finished in fourth-place in the fresh/soph MSU Open and second-place at the Ohio Open.

Yessir!  Proud Columbus East Olympian here!  I just drank a beer w/ Cayden's uncle a couple of weeks ago!  East is legit on wrestling. Thanks for sharing!

Really excited to see how this season progresses.  

Home Opener for Wrestling Friday Night vs. North Dakota State

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.– Indiana will host North Dakota State in their first dual match of the season at Wilkinson Hall on Friday at 7:00 p.m. ET.

Friday November 22
Indiana vs. North Dakota State
7:00 PM ET | Bloomington, Ind.
Video ($): https://bit.ly/2Xveziq
Match at Wilkinson Hall (1151 E 17th Street).

The Series
Indiana leads the all-time series 2-1. Last year North Dakota State won the dual at the South Beach Duals, 33-9. In 2016 Indiana won 18-17.

Coverage
Live results will be provided by TrackWrestling.Com. The match will be streamed on BTN plus for a subscription fee.

The Lineups
Indiana
125: Liam Cronin 1-4 or #8 Brock Hudkins 7-1
133: Jonathan Moran 4-6 or Kyle Luigs 2-4
141: None
149: Graham Rooks 0-1
157: Fernie Silva 3-6
165: Davey Tunon 5-5 or Dillon Hoey 3-4
174: #18 Jacob Covaciu 6-3
184: Jacob Hinz 3-5
197: Spencer Irick 2-4 or Jacob Kleimola 6-6
285: Rudy Streck 2-6

North Dakota State
125 -– McGwire Midkiff (5-2 overall, 1-1 duals)
133 -– #7 Cam Sykora (2-0, 2-0)
141 -- Sawyer Degen (4-2, 1-1) OR Dylan Droegemueller (4-2, 0-0)
149 -- Jaden Van Maanen (0-2, 0-2)
157-- Jared Franek (5-1, 1-1) OR Luke Weber (6-5, 0-0)
165 -- #10 Andrew Fogarty (6-0, 2-0)
174 -- Jimmy Noel (3-2, 0-1) OR Austin Brenner (3-3, 0-1)
184 --  TJ Pottinger (4-3, 1-1)
197 -- Cordell Eaton (3-2, 0-2)
285 -- #26 Brandon Metz (6-0, 2-0) OR Dan Stibral (2-2, 0-0)

North Dakota State
The Bison have competed in two dual matches this season. North Dakota State beat Cal State Bakersfield on 11/3, 24-9 in Fargo, N.D. Recently, the Bison hosted No. 25 Purdue, with the Boilermakers coming out on top, 22-12 on 11/17. At 133, the Bison have redshirt senior Cam Sykora, a three-time NCAA qualifier and currently ranked No. 7 in his weight class. In his sophomore season, Sykora finished second in the country in tech falls with 12. At 165 the Bison feature redshirt senior No. 10 Andrew Fogarty. Fogarty is a three-time NCAA qualifier and finished in second-place in 2019 at the Big 12 Championships. The Bison also have a ranked wrestler in No. 26 Brandon Metz at 285.

The Hoosiers in the Rankings
This week two Hoosiers are ranked by FloWrestling. Brock Hudkins, who captured the MSU Open title at 125 earlier this season is ranked No. 8. Jacob Covaciu, who beat No. 9 Ben Harvey at the Journeyman Classic, is ranked No. 18.

Early Season Success for Indiana
Brock Hudkins (125) and Nick Willham (197) both won titles for the Hoosiers at MSU Open. The Hoosiers have five wrestlers finish in the top-three at the MSU Open. At the Journeyman Classic eight wrestlers finishined in the top-three, with Kyle Luigs, Joey Sanchez, Dillon Hoey and Greg Hagan each winning first-place in their respective weight classes.

Hoosiers Open Wilkinson Hall
Wilkinson Hall was dedicated on January 16, 2019. Wilkinson Hall is a multi-use training and performance center that is the new home venue for the Indiana Wrestling and Volleyball programs. The 3,000-seat venue is used as a competition facility for both Indiana Volleyball and Indiana Wrestling. Wilkinson Hall is named after IU alumnus Jay Wilkinson and his family, who have an incredible history of support for IU Athletics and its student-athletes. Last season, the Hoosiers first year in Wilkinson Hall, they ranked 21st in the country in attendance at 1,286 fans per match. This included a program record 1,962 fans when they hosted No. 1 Penn State.

Hoosiers Sign Elite Recruiting Class
Last week, IU head coach Angel Escobedo announced the Hoosiers 2020 class, which includes four wrestlers. Jacob Moran, Derek Gilcher, Nico Bolivar and Santos Cantu will be joining the Hoosiers in the 2020 class. Cantu chose Indiana over Ohio State and is a three-time OSAA 6A Champion at 195 lbs. Gilcher chose Indiana over Virginia, Maryland, Michigan State and Wisconsin and is ranked No. 6 nationally and part of a team that is ranked No. 5 nationally. Bolivar is the brother of current Hoosier Eddie Bolivar was the 2018 Illinois Freestyle Champion. Moran is the brother of current Hoosiers Jonathan Moran and was the 2018 Indiana State Champion and is ranked No. 6 on FloWrestling. Moran is spending this year training at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado.

Pre-Match Socials
This season the Hoosiers will periodically host pre-match socials. The first one will be Friday prior to the dual vs. NDSU. The social will take place from 5p.m.-6:30p.m. at the IU Alumni Association (1000 E 17th Street, Bloomington, IN, 47408). The socials are open to all. If you would like to attend please email administrative assistant Christy Dubois at chdubois@indiana.edu.

The Indiana wrestling team fell against North Dakota State, 26-12 on Friday at Wilkinson Hall

Notes
• The Hoosiers fall to 0-1 on the season and North Dakota State improved to 2-1.
• Graham Rooks got the first win for the Hoosiers at 149 lbs. Rooks scored on a reversal in the second period that proved to be the difference in his 2-1 decision.
• No. 18 Jacob Covaciu dominated in match and led 5-1 after the second period. Covaciu added two takedowns in the third period for an 11-4 decision with 4:21 of riding time.
Covaciu improved to 7-1 on the season for the Hoosiers. Rooks now has a 1-1 record on the season.
• Rudy Streck battled tough against No. 26 Brandon Metz. Streck narrowed the gap to 2-1 going into the third period, but was called for stalling with 57 seconds left to give Metz a 3-1 decision.
• Jake Hinz at 184 lbs led his bout 2-1 after the first period, 4-4 after the second, and went into sudden victory with the score 6-6 at the end of the third period. His opponent Noah Cressel scored on a takedown in sudden victory.
• North Dakota State had two wrestlers ranked in the top-10 who each secured pins in the match. No. 7 Cameron Sykora at 133 lbs. and No. 10 Andrew Fogarty at 165 lbs.

IU Head Coach Angel Escobedo
"I thought the fans had some energy behind the matches. We were in a lot of close matches. We didn't capitalize on a couple of techniques we have been working on in the room and as far as getting to our offense. I felt like there were opportunities where we could have scored to win the match and turned it in our favor. It's back to work and focusing on those opportunities and helping them identify them when they come up in matches and how we can capitalize on them."

"I thought Graham's first match back in a while. For him I thought he did a great job. His conditioning looked good. He was attacking till the end. For him to get a win for not having as many matches as the other guys was good. It showed some toughness for him. For Covaciu, he is a worker. He is looking to score points. He had the most points of anyone on the team. He was getting after it, trying to dominate and get bonus points for the team, which is huge."

Indiana vs. North Dakota State Results
125: Liam Cronin (IU) forfeit (NDSU) (IU 6, NDSU 0)
133: #7 Cameron Sykora (NDSU) technical fall Jonathan Moran (IU) 15-0/4:45 (IU 6, NDSU 5)
141: Sawyer Degen (NDSU) dec. Kyle Luigs (IU) 13-10 (NDSU 8, IU 6)
149: Graham Rooks (IU) dec. Jaden Van Maanen (NDSU) 2-1 (IU 9, NDSU 8)
157: Jared Franek (NDSU) dec. Fernando Silva (IU) 5-4 (NDSU 11, IU 9)
165: #10 Andrew Fogarty (NDSU) fall Davey Tunon (IU) 5:28 (NDSU 17, IU 9)
174: #18 Jacob Covaciu (IU) dec. Jimmy Noel (NDSU) 11-4 (NDSU 17, IU 12)
184: Noah Cressel (NDSU) SV-1 Jake Hinz (IU) 8-6 (NDSU 20, IU 12)
197: Cordell Eaton (NDSU) dec. Spencer Irick (IU) 12-5 (NDSU 23, IU 12)
285: #26 Brandon Metz (NDSU) dec. Rudy Streck (IU) 3-1 (NDSU 26, IU 12)

Final NDSU: 26, Indiana: 12  
Attendance: 1,501

Up Next
Up next the Hoosiers travel to Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa, for the UNI Open on Dec. 14.

FWIW - NDSU wrestling began in 1957 when head coach Tom Neuberger led the team to victory in their first dual meet against Valley City State University. Neuberger passed the coaching reins to Bucky Maughan in 1964. Since that time, NDSU has won four NCAA Division II wrestling titles, 30 individual national champions, and 159 All-Americans.  The first National Champions were Bob Backlund and Bill Demaray in 1971. The team has since transitioned to NCAA Division I and were first eligible for the Division I National Tournament in 2007.

Trivia note from OF:  Bob Backlund went on to have a career in the old World Wrestling Federation.

Coach Escobedo - 

This freshman class is special! 2 champs, 2 runner ups, 2 3rd places, and a 5th place at the Lindenwood Open held yesterday in St. Charles, MO.   4 wrestlers made the finals:  Rooks at 133; Garcia at 141; Sanchez at 157; Ortiz at 165.