Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mdn82

Rapid Reaction IU vs. Chicago St.

The season is officially here!!!  A lot of what you would expect for a first game, which is actually good considering how a lot of other teams had more issues than expected.  It is starting to look like 90 might be the new 70 under the new rules which always bodes well for a Tom Crean coached team.  Words that could describe this IU team are long, athletic, quick, and young.  This young team is going to make that head-scratching play and turn around making a play that gets you out of your seat.  

I don't think there were many people who would say a 100-72 score would result in anyone saying it was a decent defensive game, but I think it really was.  Defensively we were active with block after block.  We were active on the boards as a team (62!!!-36).  The reason I say 90 is the new 70 is because we just went 45-55 from the line on a night I couldn't really see the home cooking calls you could normally see in a game like that.  Turnovers were again a big problem with the good guys getting 19 and only forcing 10.  We did force them to shoot 25.9% from the field however.  

Individually, I was thrilled with how Noah came out.  He scored the first 5 and hit his first free throw!  Then offensively he seemed to disappear for long stretches.  The boards however, he was a beast.  This kid ended up with 11 pts and 14 rebounds.  10 coming in the first 15 minutes!!!  Beyond that we had 6 Hoosiers in double figures scoring, led by Jeremy Hollowell with 16.  In a game with this many points you would expect that.  Things that won't show up in the box score and probably were more important were the energy minutes that Hanner Perea, Stan Robinson, and Devin Davis all provided.  These kids are going to get a lot of minutes for the energy they bring on every possession.  I can honestly say I have never seen a kid improve as much in one offseason as I have with Hanner Perea, and I think that says something after having witnessed Victor Oladopo's rise.  

All in all it is really what you would expect for a first game.  I think this gives us a better feel how the new rules will effect the outcome of games.  I believe this also shows why players that are ultra-athletic are even more valuable in this environment.  That 300 pound plodder that can't move his feet won't do very well in this new environment.  More important than that, the season is underway folks!  Sit back and if the site is new to you, kick your feet up and enjoy.  Its going to be one hell of a season!