Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

Ron Helmer Named B1G Cross Country COY

After leading the Indiana men's cross country team to its first Big Ten title in 33 years, director and head coach Ron Helmer was named Big Ten Coach of the Year on Wednesday afternoon by the conference coaches.

Helmer is in his seventh season at the helm of the IU cross country and track and field programs. This is his first Big Ten Coach of the Year honor in cross country and second overall. He was given the same award after the 2012 indoor track and field season.

"I am honored to be recognized for this award, but I have to give all the credit to this team and their work over the course of the season so far," Helmer said. "I have an excellent coaching staff and a great support staff and they work tirelessly to assist in the success of our student-athletes. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to our athletes. They performed at a high level at the Big Ten Championships and we hope to continue building on that heading into the regional and NCAA Championships."

The Hoosiers had four runners finish in the top 10 at the Big Ten Championships on Nov. 6 and tallied 51 team points to outrun second place Michigan (66 points) and third place Wisconsin (71 points).

Jason Crist and Chanli Mundy also earned recognition from the conference on Wednesday, as they were both named Indiana's Big Ten sportsmanship award recipients. Crist led the Indiana men at Big Tens with a fifth place finish overall. Mundy was the sixth Hoosier to finish for the IU women at the conference meet on Sunday.

Link

:hi: