Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
cbaumber

Disappointment of Men's soccer vs. Men's basketball

We won an NCAA Division I National Championship last year in soccer.  Prior to the start of the tournament, the school and campus were ablaze with new Hoosier Army fans and hope. The Q48 was in full swing and it looked like IU had begun to have another sport (aside from basketball) that students truly cared about. After we won the championship, the team was hailed and even given a halftime tribute at a basketball game.

Now, fast forward one year and it seems like there is very little talk about the program positively or negatively.  In one short year we went from the best in college soccer to owning a ~33.3% win percentage.

Imagine if the basketball team won a national championship the previous year, and then the next year wound up not having a winning record.  Imagine the outrage and disappointment that would be spoken, and rightfully so.

If we really are "24 Sports 1 Team", it would be nice to see some discussion about sports in the community other than basketball, or else we're just trying to sell false camaraderie.  Don't get me wrong, my favorite part of attending IU was going to the basketball games and falling in love with our program.

Just some food for thought!

It's a fair and valid point. The hard part is keeping that excitement. It will be interesting to see the baseball support this season. Hopefully it doesn't fall victim like the soccer fans have.

Hoosiers like to win, we can only take so many heartbreaking last 5 minute goals to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app