Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Will_Logan

The History of Mallory

Just thinking out loud here, but maybe with our history in football and reputation for low pay for assistants we couldn't get anyone else to take the job.  

Have to agree with IU Hoosier41 on this.  We don't need to hire any high profile D.C. (we won't).  I'd actually prefer coach who has proven himself as either a D.C. or a defensive-minded H.C. at a small D-I or even D-II school.  So many of these guys just start as graduate assistants and get continually promoted without actually proving that they can coach.  I want somebody who has proven he understands how to coach defense both in terms of schematics and player development.  Geez, any pee-wee coach could at least teach the players to tackle.

my only issue with the breakdown is the statistic of whether the defense improves over the season as it doesn't consider quality of opponent. You can't compare how the defense does against Indiana State and Ball State to how it plays against Wisconsin and Ohio State. The defense could be better at the end, but with that type of opponent, the statistics wouldn't show it. Other than that, well done analysis and can't dispute the conclusion. 

my only issue with the breakdown is the statistic of whether the defense improves over the season as it doesn't consider quality of opponent. You can't compare how the defense does against Indiana State and Ball State to how it plays against Wisconsin and Ohio State. The defense could be better at the end, but with that type of opponent, the statistics wouldn't show it. Other than that, well done analysis and can't dispute the conclusion.

Solid point. That's a fair argument.

Also, some picture fun after we posted this to the Facebook page:

post-1-138322660943_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Absolutely right.  Our Big Ten Schedule is definitely tougher in general than non-conference, but improvement is still possible.  Minnesota's doing it right now (391 yards per game in Aug./Sept. and  334 in October).  They've improved their statistics even though the teams they played in the early part of the season pale in comparison to their October schedule:

Aug/Sept (391 yards per game)

UNLV

New Mexico State

Western Ill.

San Jose St.

Iowa

October (334 yards per game)

Michigan

Northwestern 

Nebreska

That's a good question. I'll worry about it next year because Mallory isn't leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Might as well start talking about who we should hire as a new head coach if Mallory spends another full off-season, and eventually another full season running our defensive unit. I could realistically see a small improvement in the defense, natural progression of players, playing offenses that are losing guys, etc. But unless it is a significant improvement, not gonna happen with Mallory, then I don't see us as a bowl team next year. With not being able to see what seems to be blatantly obvious that Mallory isn't doing our defense any good and not making a bowl game after having the majority, if not the entire team, be his own recruits I don't see how it would make sense to retain Wilson. He is the head coach, he should be able to make the tough decisions, though I would not consider this a tough one. I would prefer to have someone who can make these decisions leading the program into the future

Might as well start talking about who we should hire as a new head coach if Mallory spends another full off-season, and eventually another full season running our defensive unit. I could realistically see a small improvement in the defense, natural progression of players, playing offenses that are losing guys, etc. But unless it is a significant improvement, not gonna happen with Mallory, then I don't see us as a bowl team next year. With not being able to see what seems to be blatantly obvious that Mallory isn't doing our defense any good and not making a bowl game after having the majority, if not the entire team, be his own recruits I don't see how it would make sense to retain Wilson. He is the head coach, he should be able to make the tough decisions, though I would not consider this a tough one. I would prefer to have someone who can make these decisions leading the program into the future

I feel like I am coming off as really, really pessimistic these past few days about IU coaches/coaching staffs. This is really frustrating.