Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Sam_Boger

Starting Lineup

Yogi, Will and Noah are sure things. I think Hollowell is as well (particularly in light of Crean's comments about him during midnight madness on ESPNU). The 5th slot could go to Luke (if healthy), HMP (if he shows any offense), Troy (if healthy and we go small) or Devin (Crean has RAVED about his rebounding). I see Evan coming off the bench but playing 25 to 30 minutes a game at both guard slots.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I love how multiple times, people have stated that the Yogi-Evan backcourt is too small. Ia that not what everyone thought last year when Hulls was out there? 

Just saying, it may not have won a national championship, but it was still damn effective. Plus, Evan can both shoot from the outside as well as explode off the bounce.

Starting lineup for Saturday: Yogi, Evan, Will, Jeremey, and Vonleh. Expect HMP to come in quickly, as well as Davis. Troy will only play if he is above 90%.

Yogi, Will and Noah are certain. After that, I'm not sure. I'm not a fan of the small starting lineup so I don't really want to see Evan starting, and I don't think we have anyone that is really ready for the 5 (Noah is a 4, but then again so was Cody).

I'd go Yogi/Will/Jeremy/Noah and see who is better at the 5 between Fischer and Hanner.

I do think the starting lineup on the first game will be the same throughout the year. I'm not sure why people think it'll be fluid, Crean hasn't shown that to this point. Don't forget it took an injury for him to remove Verdell from the starting lineup, even though Will had already shown himself to be the better player.

I love how multiple times, people have stated that the Yogi-Evan backcourt is too small. Ia that not what everyone thought last year when Hulls was out there?

Just saying, it may not have won a national championship, but it was still damn effective. Plus, Evan can both shoot from the outside as well as explode off the bounce.

Starting lineup for Saturday: Yogi, Evan, Will, Jeremey, and Vonleh. Expect HMP to come in quickly, as well as Davis. Troy will only play if he is above 90%.

Hated Jordy/Yogi combo last year. Too small, and it played a key role in ending our season. No reason either should have played, especially together, against Syracuse. We have size this year compared to last year, and we need to use it.

Also, just because it was effective, doesn't mean it was the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hated Jordy/Yogi combo last year. Too small, and it played a key role in ending our season. No reason either should have played, especially together, against Syracuse. We have size this year compared to last year, and we need to use it. Also, just because it was effective, doesn't mean it was the best way to go. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not saying its the end-all-be-all, but it does have its advantages when used correctly. Also, effective means "works well". If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

It was down the stretch when the height problem really became that, a problem. The stubbornness did end up being a big factor when the line-up didn't change. But that doesn't mean it didn't help us win games either.

What people also need to remember is the frontcourt is once again behind schedule. Peter is out of the country, Luke is only in 5-0 drills, Troy is just now starting to play again, and Hanner is working on his mentality. This is why I have my lineup the way it is, and I do believe it will change as players become healthier and get used to the speed of the game. 

Good thing about this year compared to last year is we actually have depth and Crean can mess with the starting lineup a bit.

I'm not disagreeing with you because I think this is true, but I'm pretty sure at this point last year a lot of us (I was guilty of it too) were thumping our chests about how deep we would be and that didn't turn out quite like we had hoped.  Because of that, I am taking a more cautious approach to our depth this year.  

I'm not disagreeing with you because I think this is true, but I'm pretty sure at this point last year a lot of us (I was guilty of it too) were thumping our chests about how deep we would be and that didn't turn out quite like we had hoped.  Because of that, I am taking a more cautious approach to our depth this year.  

I think we are more deep from the standpoint of having more players on the bench that will get a fair amount of minutes. I don't think they are as talented as our bench last year, but there were many injury issues with that bench (Elston, Creek, Etherington) and Remy just wasn't too great. The one bright spot all year was Will, but it could've been argued that he was talented enough to be a starter.

I do believe we are deeper this year due to these facts. More players will contribute... Evan, Troy, Luke, Hanner, Stan, Devin, Austin... I think all of them can contribute a good enough amount to the team to help from off of the bench.

Clearly, Jurkin and Perea weren't prepared to play, and we should've seen that coming from how raw they were to begin with. There should be more polished talent on this year's bench. We only had two guys who could actually play well off the bench last year, and I believe we will have more this year.