Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

CKW Likes His Team, and Wants Success for His Seniors

I would hope so Kent...

I’ve been in the front row every time Indiana football coach Kevin Wilson has spoken the the media this season, and his behavior is a little bit different from what I saw early in his tenure.

There was a two-year period when I lived in St. Louis and was only able to experience Wilson on television, so when I came back the difference between the high strung guy who yelled his comments into the microphone at the press conference announcing his hire and the guy who speak positively about his team regardless of recent results was stark.

I asked a couple of guys I respect who cover the Hoosiers about the change after Wilson’s media availability Monday at Memorial Stadium.  Pete DiPrimio of the Fort Wayne and Ken Bikoff do their jobs very well, and seem to be adept observers of behavior, so I asked what has prompted the difference in Wilson’s behavior during the time I was away.

Both answered in unison, “He likes his team.”

The inference I drew was that there was a strong mutual dislike between Wilson and the players in 2011.  It was noticeable on the field during games, and so I wondered whether the mutual acrimony would continue as part of Wilson’s managerial style. That is hasn’t was clear not just through the assessment of DiPrimio and Bikoff, but in Wilson’s comments about what he likes and what frustrates him about his third team.

Wilson is similar to a lot of football coaches in that he’s a nut and bolts guy who doesn’t allow emotion to seep into his media performance, but as he talked about his desire to see the seniors experience some success, there was a softening – a different level of humanity – in the way he spoke.

Gone was the analytical strategist who talks in specific football vernacular.  Replacing him was a man who admires the work of the young men he leads – a man who is invested in the success and development of those upperclassmen who are continuing to work harder than they are asked, and whose faith in Wilson has not yet been rewarded with the level of on-field success that he sees as a just end to their collegiate careers.

Link