Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JSHoosier

(2014) PG Dante Exum to NBA

Exum has stated he wont enroll anywhere this winter. If he goes to college, it'd be next year. I would be thrilled to have this guy on Indiana, especially next year, but I think he goes NBA. 

That's why I didn't make a recruiting thread for him until now.

Canberra teen Dante Exum is tipped to be a top-four NBA draftee

He looked a man among boys while stalking the showcase court on the opening day of the Australian Schools Championship at Kilsyth Basketball Stadium, which is why Melbourne teenager Dante Exum is a projected top-four pick in next year's NBA draft - should he nominate.

While the scouting reports of NBA experts have listed the mechanics of his outside shooting as a minor issue, Exum confirmed his ongoing improvement on Monday by coming off a screen and burying a three-pointer from the wing - from just in front of where his father Cecil, a former NBL forward, sat.

A minute later, the 198-centimetre 18-year-old combination guard dribbled the ball down court and buried a pull-up three-pointer.
Dante Exum.

And if the small but appreciative crowd of fellow teenagers and NBL and Basketball Australia types was looking for an exclamation mark among his 32 points in leading his Canberra college team Lake Ginninderra College to a six-point win over Caulfield Grammar, it came with a one-handed dunk to finish an alley-oop.
Advertisement

Exum, who also flourishes when slashing to the hoop, is still raw but he clearly has a gift to play elite basketball.

''The hype is valid because of the excellent character that he has,'' Ginninderra coach Jason Denley said.
<p>

That hype will only gain momentum should, as expected, the Australian Institute of Sport product, and emerging Boomer, nominate for June's NBA draft.

Exum, in Canberra on an AIS scholarship, says he will decide by February whether to do so, a move that would make him an instant millionaire. NBA draft experts, and leading US sports website ESPN, believe he would be a top-four selection and could even go No. 1 should he not want to spend at least one year developing at college level.

''To be honest, I haven't been thinking about it too much,'' Exum said. ''I am back home but my mum is still in Singapore, so she is going to head back soon. After that I will make my decision with my whole family.

''I want to get it done by February. It shouldn't be too hard [a decision] to make. But I just want to make sure I use my time right so I make the right decision.''

Next year's draft promises to be one of the deepest, and best, with several players, including Exum, viewed as potential ''franchise'' players able to carry a team for a decade.

College stars Jabari Parker, the do-it-all Duke forward, Kentucky power forward Julius Randle, Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart, Arizona's Aaron Gordon and Kansas' Andrew Wiggins are also coveted selections.

Exum, for the time being, is happy to stay in what he believes is relative anonymity in Australia, but NBA scouts are well aware of his ability, and a prominent US-based website, the Bleacher Report, is following him around this week. It's also hard to hide when you were named as an All-Star five at the FIBA under-19 world championships this year.

''There has been a lot of hype but I have kind of been undercover being in Australia,'' Exum said.''I don't mind it and I have adjusted well to it.''

Denley agrees, and says Exum's willingness to compete for his high school team - when this time next year he could be facing the likes of LeBron James, Kevin Durrant and James Harden - underlines his maturity.

''There is a lot of pressure on him, but he is very grounded and he is keeping it all in his stride,'' Denley said.

''Dante could be thinking about that next stage, which is a massive stage, yet he has still shown the willingness to come and compete for his school at the Australian School Championships.''

Exum keeps a close eye on the performances of all fellow NBA draft prospects, but does not believe the likes of Parker and Wiggins have an advantage in terms of improving their ''stock'' because they are at college where players are meticulously drilled and learn the nuances of the game.

''They are getting an advantage and a disadvantage,'' he said. ''They might play bad and go down [in rankings]. It's the same with me. I am over here, not playing and they are not seeing me, but still my stock stays up.''

Exum has worked hard on his shooting. ''At the moment the things that we have been working on through the AIS and through his junior programs is definitely his outside shooting, his consistency, and also the ability to handle contact and traffic,'' Denley said.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/canberra-teen-dante-exum-is-tipped-to-be-a-topfour-nba-draftee-20131202-2yl9k.html

This is not official:

Aussie NBA prospect Dante Exum to bypass college system
By Ronny Lerner
Australian NBA prospect Dante Exum is set to bypass the college system and head straight to next year's draft, according to compatriot and Golden State centre Andrew Bogut.

The highly-rated youngster is touted as a potential top-five pick and Bogut believes it would be the smart thing to do if the 18-year-old didn't risk sustaining a serious injury prior to a promising professional career while playing college ball.

"From what I hear he won't go to college, he'll probably end up coming over here (to America) sometime early next year ... and get ready for the draft," Bogut told radio SEN on Tuesday.

"Right now, it's a risk-versus-reward thing for him.

"He's a projected top-five pick, if you go to college, you risk getting hurt ... So I think he's doing the smart thing."

Bogut has enjoyed a clean run so far this season with the Warriors which has been a welcome change for the former number one pick who has had his fair share of serious injuries throughout his career - most notably to his elbow and ankle.

And while he insisted Golden State supported his desire to play for the Boomers, Bogut confirmed his primary national ambition was to play at the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro which meant he would almost certainly sit out next year's world championships and give his battle-weary body a much-needed rest.

"I need to be smart right now and probably be a little selfish in that sense that I'm almost 30 years of age and I've had two potentially career-ending injuries that I've battled through, but the body has definitely taken its toll from it," Bogut said.

"Next year's world championships are very, very questionable at the moment and I'll probably give those a miss.

"The Olympics is my immediate goal in 2016, I want to make sure that not only am I ready for it but that I'm in the right mind and right body to get through that."

Bogut said the key to staying on the court in the 2013/14 season - he has played 17 of the Warriors' 18 games to date - was being vigilant with his recovery after each game.

"I still ice the ankle every day after every games, every day after training, I still have to do all the modalities on it, massage, physio," Bogut said.

"If you keep being professional and doing those things, the body responds well but if you try to have a day where you forget to do that, it definitely catches up to you."
http://www.sportal.com.au/nba/aussie-nba-prospect-dante-exum-to-bypass-college-system/73en2rdcv7cp1wi6nu4wjv2r9

Another Link saying Exum plans to meet with agents from all the big agencies. This ship has sailed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--international-star-dante-exum-setting-up-agent-meetings-074642785.html

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Another Link saying Exum plans to meet with agents from all the big agencies. This ship has sailed.http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--international-star-dante-exum-setting-up-agent-meetings-074642785.htmlSent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well, shoot. Getting Dante would have been amazing, but I see his side. Says he plans to make a choice by February so I asume that choice is which agent to go with rather than which college to attend.

This kid is projected on some sites ahead of Randle. He gone. Not a huge deal though, would have been a great get but I always felt it was a long shot. He will be a stud in the NBA.

I may be speaking out of turn here, but it's pretty much Indiana is his choice if he goes to college right? I don't think it will happen, but that's my take on all this right?

That's pretty much what I've heard.

This kid is projected on some sites ahead of Randle. He gone. Not a huge deal though, would have been a great get but I always felt it was a long shot. He will be a stud in the NBA.

Yes that is true if he decides to go to college.

I probably wouldn't read to much into this...

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1m
Dante Exum (@daanteee) told ESPN that he still intends to set up college visits to 5 finalists soon -- Indiana, UNC, UK, Michigan, Oregon.

Ya why would he waste his time to go to college, when he has money waiting for him right now