Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

Vitale's Preseason Top 25

1. KENTUCKY

John Calipari has reloaded big time. He has the top recruiting class in America by far, and this group should be special. Think about it -- the Harrison twins (Aaron and Andrew), Julius Randle,Dakari JohnsonJames YoungMarcus Lee -- WOW! Then add in veterans like Jarrod PolsonAlex Poythress and Willie Cauley-Stein to help the youngsters learn the ropes, and Big Blue Nation will be smiling.

2. MICHIGAN STATE

Having Adreian Payne up front, plus a healthy Gary HarrisKeith Appling and Branden Dawson, is enough to believe the Spartans are legit contenders to cut down the nets in April. The Big Ten favorites will be cohesive and deep. Tom Izzo is a master motivator at tournament time and his team should make a deep run in 2014.

3. LOUISVILLE

Russ Smith's decision to return to school gives Rick Pitino an even better chance of going back-to-back. Chane Behanan will be even tougher on the glass. Luke Hancock is more confident after being named Most Outstanding Player in the Final Four. I can't wait to watch Louisville and Kentucky go at it in late December.

4. DUKE

Mike Krzyzewski will have a more athletic team that will run, baby, run! Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood are newcomers to watch. Expect more from Quinn Cook and Rasheed Sulaimon. The return of Andre Dawkins will provide long-range shooting help.

5. KANSAS

The Jayhawks moved up because of one name -- Andrew Wiggins. There will be excitement for Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk with the diaper dandy leading the way at the Phog. I expect Perry Ellis to develop into a valuable performer.

6. ARIZONA

Sean Miller has the best in the West, and the addition of Aaron Gordon, the star of stars at the McDonald's All-American game, is a major positive. Nick Johnson will be a big factor for the Wildcats.

7. FLORIDA

Billy Donovan's team is loaded, and it received another boost when Rutgers transfer Eli Carterwas granted immediate eligibility. Look for big things up front from Patric Young.

8. MICHIGAN

Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr. are gone, but Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III are back. Remember the names of diaper dandies Zak Irvin and Derrick Walton Jr.. They will be crucial for John Beilein.

9. SYRACUSE

C.J. Fair will become the next dominant scorer for the Orange. Jim Boeheim lost some talent like Michael Carter-Williams, but he will reload in his first season in the ACC.

10. MEMPHIS

Josh Pastner has a solid returning nucleus and several noteworthy newcomers. This will be an exciting team to watch.

11. OKLAHOMA STATE

Marcus Smart is back, and teaming up with Le'Bryan Nash has fans excited in Stillwater.

12. OHIO STATE

Ohio State has won three of the last four Big Ten regular-season titles along with three of the last four postseason tournament championships. Thad Matta has an experienced club ready to roll.

13. NORTH CAROLINA

We will see about P.J. Hairston's return to the Tar Heels. James Michael McAdoo will have to step up on a consistent basis, but the talent is there.

14. GONZAGA

Mark Few has a shot to win his 400th game before suffering his 100th loss. Gary Bell, Jr. andKevin Pangos form an outstanding backcourt.

15. VCU

It helps to have Treveon Graham and Juvonte Reddic back, plus several talented newcomers.

16. BAYLOR

Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson are preseason All-Big 12 selections and there are high expectations in Waco. Brady Heslip can flat-out shoot.

17. CONNECTICUT

Kevin Ollie welcomes back a top-flight backcourt in Shabazz NapierRyan Boatright and Omar Calhoun.

18. NEW MEXICO

Steve Alford went to UCLA, but Craig Neal has an outstanding group back. Kendall Williams will lead the Lobos to a solid season.

19. WICHITA STATE

Last season, Gregg Marshall got the Shockers to the Final Four. Cleanthony Early and company will not sneak up on anyone.

20. CREIGHTON

Doug McDermott and Grant Gibbs take their act to the Big East. McDermott is one of the premier players in America.

21. NOTRE DAME

Mike Brey has a reason to smile. He has Eric Atkins and Jerian Grant back in the lineup.

22. HARVARD

Tommy Amaker gets back two key players that sat out last season, plus an outstanding returning nucleus.

23. COLORADO

Tad Boyle has established a winner in the Pac-12. Look for big things from 6-foot-6 Spencer Dinwiddie.

24. OREGON

The Ducks figure to be smaller and quicker than last year's team. Adding several transfers will help.

25. IOWA

Fran McCaffrey has built the program back into prominence. Aaron White and company should be dancing.

OTHERS TO WATCH: Massachusetts, UCLA, Arizona State, Wisconsin, BYU, Stanford, Georgetown, LaSalle, Boise State, LSU, St. John's, Villanova.

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/9791313/Purdue Person-vitale-preseason-top-25

We will see.  I think a bunch of his teams on the back end of that list won't be there by the time January comes around.  You always see teams where you feel they could move up and some will move back.  I think atleast 5 of them won't be there come January.  Harvard, Colorado, New Mexico, Wichita St., and VCU (If they are there will be on back end).  I think UConn moves back.  Notre Dame probably won't be there during conference play.  So yeah, I really put little stock in his list. 

Mr. Vitale left us off coz he's mad that they won't rename Assembly Hall to the Purdue Person Vitale Worships and Loves Robert Montgomery Knight Memorial Stadium. He's vengeful like that...

About the biggest complaint I have with the list is not even having us in the 'others to watch' category.  Some may feel we should be top 25, but I can see why he'd leave us off.  We lost a lot of scoring from last year with no real proven commodities besides Will and an inconsistent Yogi (shooting wise), and brought several new players into the fold.  Plus we have to remember some of those teams will not be there later in the year.

Vitale can be annoying, but he does know the game.

I'm okay with IU not being listed. There are so many questions with this team, and they lost SO much talent and experience.

That being said, I think IU will crack the top 25 early in the year with some decent big wins. People just want to see what IU has first

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

These freshmen are good. They'll surprise people this year, as will the rest of the team.

Those freshmen haven't proven anything on this level, and every year there are highly rated freshmen that don't pan out.  Don't forget that most freshmen need time to adjust to the college game, and working out with teammates is different.  We're not talking about the type of freshmen UK brings in, those are not typical freshmen.  What we got from Hollowell last year is pretty typical of most freshmen.

Here's their Rivals ratings and I'm focusing on the 2 rated highest outside of Vonleh (we all expect him to be big this year)

Hollowell- 41

Williams- 47

Robinson- 56

Many fans expected Hollowell to be a contributor last year, and he showed promise but was largely overwhelmed.  Vic played a lot of a freshmen, but he was no where near what he'd become, and let's face it that team was bad (won 12 games) so he had to play a lot unless you wanted more walk-on Daniel Moore.  Don't be surprised if what we get from Williams and Robinson this year is about what we got from Hollowell last year.  I've seen them both play, not just highlights that can make almost anyone look good, and that's what I expect.

Those freshmen haven't proven anything on this level, and every year there are highly rated freshmen that don't pan out. Don't forget that most freshmen need time to adjust to the college game, and working out with teammates is different. We're not talking about the type of freshmen UK brings in, those are not typical freshmen. What we got from Hollowell last year is pretty typical of most freshmen.

Here's their Rivals ratings and I'm focusing on the 2 rated highest outside of Vonleh (we all expect him to be big this year)

Hollowell- 41

Williams- 47

Robinson- 56

Many fans expected Hollowell to be a contributor last year, and he showed promise but was largely overwhelmed. Vic played a lot of a freshmen, but he was no where near what he'd become, and let's face it that team was bad (won 12 games) so he had to play a lot unless you wanted more walk-on Daniel Moore. Don't be surprised if what we get from Williams and Robinson this year is about what we got from Hollowell last year. I've seen them both play, not just highlights that can make almost anyone look good, and that's what I expect.

I don't agree with this. I respect the thought and why you think that way, but we NEED these players to step up. Last year, Hollowell wasn't needed as much as these freshman will be needed.

Had Hollowell gotten more Minutes earlier in the season and had more plays go his way, I think we would have been very happy with his output.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Vic was a low ranked recruit, so no one expected anything from him to begin with. Poor example.

Everyone I've talked to, including those who have seen the 2012 and 2013 IU recruiting classes play leading up to college, say the 2013 class is much better than the 2012 class. Some have said they're a little surprised at how underrated the class is. Also, Williams and Robinson definitely would have been ranked higher had they been in the 2012 class.

A friend of mine has seen the freshmen play together and said they "looked natural together, had great chemistry, and stood out from everyone else." 

I'll take this class over the 2012 class every day, and my expectations for them are much higher than last year's freshmen.