Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Naturalhoosier

IU vs MSU Postgame thread

I will say this we can't get the other team's offensive players the first time we try to tackle them because they break it. If I were Wilson I'd be asking Mallory for his headset and I would put another player on punt returns.

The raw talent gap that exists between IU and the best of the conference is shrinking.  But we were soooo far behind that it'll take some time to make up that ground.  It's coming along and CKW is moving us in the right direction.  But it's a long road.  We're getting there though.

I feel better about this game than I did right after watching it. We scored 28 points on the #1 D in the country. Nate didn't have it yesterday, but that's a soph QB for you anyway. O-line was a area I expected to be a plus this year, but injuries have made that a bit unrealistic. I suspect Suds will come out better prepared next week and we can see a more potent offense. Winning in the Big House will be just as tough. 

Natty is right on about the talent gap. We seem to be starting freshmen a lot, which is the result of better talent in each incoming class. That should start to balance out to a point where we have enough returning talent that they can beat out talented freshmen. Its great having freshmen that are talented enough to play, but there is just no substitute for talent that has 2-3 years in the system. 

Tiny pointed out that I was way too hard on the offense, and backed that up with a list of MSU scoring drives that was impressive. Granted, we faced a MSU team that had just found its offensive equilibrium, but  we gave up more points to them, by a nice margin, than any other team has. We need better D. We need better D. We need better D. You can cut and paste that statement a hundred times and its just as true the next time. I think the talent gets better every year, but the number of freshmen we have playing at safety and LB tells a story about how weak that was. Tim Bennett is definitely a great find for this staff. 

The future is still bright, but we need to win a few more games this year. Bowl eligible would be beautiful.