Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hwy 1

(2014) SF Devin Robinson to Florida

I was never a great athlete but I never backed down from anyone. Sometimes they got the better of me, sometimes they didn't.  The two really are dissimilar players. I can't imagine that he'd be afraid of the competition and if he is then I don't think he has what it takes to succeed.

Not sure it's totally that. I've heard the rumor IUhoosier41 is alluding to. Crean tried to sell Drobs camp that Hoetzel is a 4/3, and that Drob is a 3/4 with the first position being the "natural" and the second being a viable option in Creans offense. (nearly interchangable in most instances imo) Drobs camp watched some highlights of Hoetzel on youtube and disagreed. I'm not sure he is threatened by Hoetzel, specifically, but we are crowded where he wants to play, and in their opinion, we just added to that depth. (TW, JH, CH, DD)

Florida does not have a 3 or a 4 committed in their '13 or '14 class, so that is one way he could be looking at it. I don't know this, but it seems logical.

I heard a lot of Florida buzz after the visit, and to be honest, it's only picked up. I'm not sure what Devin wants and I'm not sure what his family wants, but I do feel his AAU coaches may be trying to keep him from Bloomington and they have solidified themselves as a major part of this decision. In other words, it's been put, they think they made him and know what's best for the young man.

We'll see tomorrow.

I was never a great athlete but I never backed down from anyone. Sometimes they got the better of me, sometimes they didn't.  The two really are dissimilar players. I can't imagine that he'd be afraid of the competition and if he is then I don't think he has what it takes to succeed.

Part of success is strategy. Clearly the better strategy to being the 'star' of a team right off the bat and going high in the draft as early as possible is going to a place with less competition.

Just because an option is an easier path to PT doesn't mean it's taking the easy way out. Just doing what he thinks is best for him.

Recruiting is like dating, you gotta make sure what you've got to offer is the most attractive. How many times did any of you pass on the single girl who's an 8 (Florida) for the girl in a committed relationship who's a 9 (IU) just because the 9 said "well, you can compete for my affection"? 

A better strategy for success is going somewhere that you'll get a good education academically and athletically. You'll become a better player taking the harder route. Anyone looking for the easy way out is slighting themselves. It might help short term but in the end you'll be better off putting in the work.

Blackmon and Lyle are better than Robinson, and we already have a ton of forwards. I'm not too shook up, because I think we land Blackmon and/or Lyle.

Florida provides the easiest path for playing time and I'm fine with Drob wanting to go to the better situation for him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I still think we have no shot with Blackmon and at this point, very little chance with DRob. Lyle is looking like our last resort at this point, and I'd be ecstatic if we got him. Any one of the three would be awesome to have.

Blackmon and Lyle are better than Robinson, and we already have a ton of forwards. I'm not too shook up, because I think we land Blackmon and/or Lyle.

Florida provides the easiest path for playing time and I'm fine with Drob wanting to go to the better situation for him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Even if asked a month ago I would say Blackmon is far and away my favorite option for this class.  That said we can't really go wrong if we get any of them.

A better strategy for success is going somewhere that you'll get a good education academically and athletically. You'll become a better player taking the harder route. Anyone looking for the easy way out is slighting themselves. It might help short term but in the end you'll be better off putting in the work.

Its hard when you have AAU coaches or any handlers telling you that you will get more PT at UF AND you won't get better from the bench.  I can't fault him for that.  The shortsighted fact is the SEC is weak.  The B1G is grueling as hell.  Can't fault them for their logic.  Kids look for all sorts of things.  PT is sometimes a deal breaker.  He will get more at UF by default.  They will be highly ranked.  Not a bad options.  As for your first sentence, he will get that at UF as well, he will just not be blocked in any way.  I don't know any kids that want to make things harder on themselves when their ultimate goal is the NBA. 

I don't think we'll get any of the three, but life goes on anyhow.

I agree with this 100%. If we don't get any of the three, we are still in great shape. A young team with no one having to transfer or give away their scholarship. It allows the team to grow together, which builds better team chemistry. AND, we all know that both Blackmon and Lyle will be drama queens and demand the ball/playing time. I like our team now, and I like the prospect of them growing together (even without Sheehey and Gordon).

I don't think we'll get any of the three, but life goes on anyhow.

Agreed.  Our 2013 class is stacked with quality players who aren't one and done.  There will be spring players (I think Jaquan is one of those) available if we go after another player. 

But Florida offers a great situation academically and athletically also.

I have two degrees from IU and now live in Florida.  They are BOTH great places to go to school and play bball.

Its hard when you have AAU coaches or any handlers telling you that you will get more PT at UF AND you won't get better from the bench.  I can't fault him for that.  The shortsighted fact is the SEC is weak.  The B1G is grueling as hell.  Can't fault them for their logic.  Kids look for all sorts of things.  PT is sometimes a deal breaker.  He will get more at UF by default.  They will be highly ranked.  Not a bad options.  As for your first sentence, he will get that at UF as well, he will just not be blocked in any way.  I don't know any kids that want to make things harder on themselves when their ultimate goal is the NBA. 

He'll learn a lot more about basketball playing in the B1G than in the SEC. He'll be taking the easy way out at Florida. If that's his choice then so be it. If he doesn't think he has what it takes to make it at IU then he probably doesn't. The easy way out is for short term success.

But Florida offers a great situation academically and athletically also.

I have two degrees from IU and now live in Florida.  They are BOTH great places to go to school and play bball.

SEC basketball does not equal Big Ten basketball.

SEC basketball does not equal Big Ten basketball.

True, but it's still big time, and is close enough, especially if you're not from the midwest.

Anyway, if the tea leaves hold up, look forward to seeing Drob hit many, many shots against highly paid UK players for the next few years!