Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hwy 1

The United Sports of America

Indiana

Official state sport(s): none

Our choice: high school basketball

Also considered: IndyCar racing

It's a two-sport race in the Hoosier State. You can make a very strong case for IndyCar racing, which includes a reference to Indianapolis in its name, for heaven's sake. But despite the enduring allure of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the IndyCar series as a whole is an afterthought even in Indiana. The only way high school basketball will be an afterthought here is if an asteroid obliterates the entire state, and even then I'm guessing some kid in French Lick will emerge from the crater and try to dribble what's left of the asteroid. This is the home of Damon Bailey and enormous high school gyms. And Hoosiers. Don't you dare forget Hoosiers.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/slate_labs/2013/10/united_sports_of_america_map_if_each_state_could_have_only_one_sport_what.html

No surprises here! We love BASKETBALL in Hoosierland!

Cool map at the link with their pick for each state. Ohio gets cornhole, illanoy gets softball, michigan gets squid chunking and puke gets horse weirdness.

Colorado

Official state sport(s): skiing and snowboarding

Our choice: mountain climbing

Also considered: skiing, snowboarding, Olympic sports

In 2008, the Colorado state legislature named skiing and snowboarding as "the official state winter recreational sports." The will of the people must be defied here, because: 1) It's just plain greedy to claim skiing and snowboarding. 2) Naming them the "official state winter recreational sports" betrays a disturbing lack of decisiveness. (Should we anticipate that the legislature will soon name Colorado's official state autumn competitive sports?) Our choice: mountain climbing. Colorado has 53 fourteeners—that is, 14,000-foot peaks that also have at least 300 feet of "topographic prominence"—far more than any other state. Is mountain climbing a sport? I say yes—there's a goal, it requires great skill, it's a physical challenge, and there's an international federation that's guided by the Olympic charter.

I've conquered 9 14ers (10 if you count the one I did twice).  Talk about physical exhaustion.  The views don't get much better than being at 14k feet ontop of the purple mountain majesty's over looking Colorado.  What a sight!!!!!