Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) SF Kris Wilkes to UCLA

I know CB and Jerry Meyer take a lot of heat around here. I don't know Meyers background and don't generally seem to like the guy but boy he seemed to have some privy info here.

He was WAY in front knowing it wasn't going to be IU. Even picked Michigan for moment knowing it wasn't IU. Locked on UCLA very early.

He knew stuff our staff didn't even know is my take.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I know CB and Jerry Meyer take a lot of heat around here. I don't know Meyers background and don't generally seem to like the guy but boy he seemed to have some privy info here.

He was WAY in front knowing it wasn't going to be IU. Even picked Michigan for moment knowing it wasn't IU. Locked on UCLA very early.

I believe there was a statement early on that Wilkes wouldn't play for Crean. Maybe he was going off that?

24 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Could not disagree more with just about every take here. 

Could not disagree more with just about every take here. 

Takes:

1. Meyer is more inside with knowledge than most basketball people due to his connections. (Moreso than our site gives him credit for)

2. He had privy info.

3. He was way in front of nearly everyone else in saying it wasn't going to be Indiana.

Would you like to explain why you disagree with these takes?

He is the son of the late and well respected Don Meyer who coached at Lipscomp. I believe he has a couple books out about the game of basketball. Jerry has been around the game a long time and probably has a ton of sources throughout the basketball community. I don't necessarily give the crystal ball and him heat on here but I would recommend checking out the other scouting services on a recruit instead of just taking the crystal ball as the final verdict. Since Meyer is the director of basketball scouting for 247 the crystal ball will follow his lead. People the participate in the crystal ball are 247 employees and other independent websites that don't have an affiliation with the other scouting services (Alex). You won't see an employee of scout, rivals, or espn participate in the 247's crystal ball. Usually in a recruitment if all 4 director's of scouting Meyer(247), biacarnardi(ESPN), bossi(rivals), and Daniels(scout) are reporting the same thing then it's pretty much a slam dunk but for me if they are split then that's when things get interesting. Meyer still had waters to iu well after Daniels and bossi were reporting Georgetown.

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Takes:

1. Meyer is more inside with knowledge than most basketball people due to his connections. (Moreso than our site gives him credit for)

I don't think he is. He is sorta at the top over there and he uses other beat writers info/takes.

2. He had privy info.

He was nowhere near the Kris Wilkes recruitment, very few were. I know this because I know how many people actually knew anything after a certain point, and I'm certainly not claiming to be one of them. 

3. He was way in front of nearly everyone else in saying it wasn't going to be Indiana.

I can just tell you that is flat wrong. He considered Indiana very seriously until very recently. And the point about Michigan I don't get, thats so discrediting. No way in hell that was happening.

4. You mentioned your take was he knew what the staff didn't....

Again, you're just going to have to believe me here (or not). This is NOT how Kris Wilkes handled the recruitment...

Would you like to explain why you disagree with these takes?

Appreciate the response.

My take is that Wilkes tried to respect Indiana and Crean. I think Indiana got mislead by the mixed emotions of Wilkes vs Family.

Meyer tweeted he switched to Michigan because it wasn't going to be IU. He then switched relatively quickly over to UCLA. He always seemed ahead of EVERY person connected to IU.

I know he relies on his sources. I know he is sometimes wrong.

I know he was right on this one and very early.

PS- I don't think he was personally involved in this one but I do think he had some connections that created his opinion.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/starting-five-decision-set-for-five-star-kris-wilkes
Bossi points out in here that Wilkes recruitment was one of the most intense in the country and behind the scenes there was a major tug of war for his services

I suppose you can call it a tug of war when a school wins a recruitment from 2,000 miles away over the In State school that been recruiting a kid for 4-6 years.

Wilkes was wanting UK. Never got it. It wasn't going to be Indiana for whatever reason. He had his eyes elsewhere. Our staff kept pursuing intensely, leading to the tug of war.

Fwiw. I'm not upset on missing Wilkes TBH. I think he is very good with a lot of potential. But I think he is overrated at this point.

The frustration to me is our lack of recruiting appeal in general. Every odd was on our side to land Wilkes if we wanted him. Couldn't.

I think Wilkes will struggle more in college than he thinks because his shooting isn't ready.

I suppose you can call it a tug of war when a school wins a recruitment from 2,000 miles away over the In State school that been recruiting a kid for 4-6 years.

Wilkes was wanting UK. Never got it. It wasn't going to be Indiana for whatever reason. He had his eyes elsewhere. Our staff kept pursuing intensely, leading to the tug of war.

opinion? I didn't see it that way as I was following his recruitment. UCLA might be far away but it still has Indiana ties plugged into the program. Maybe he was coming maybe he wasn't I can't say I wasn't there I can only give an opinion of the situation

Fwiw. I'm not upset on missing Wilkes TBH. I think he is very good with a lot of potential. But I think he is overrated at this point.

The frustration to me is our lack of recruiting appeal in general. Every odd was on our side to land Wilkes if we wanted him. Couldn't.

I think Wilkes will struggle more in college than he thinks because his shooting isn't ready.

I just think he has all the potential but I agree I felt like it would take him a couple of years before he would make a huge impact

I really wish I understood what's so unappealing about IU. I wish someone could explain.

We're in a bit of a recruiting rut right now. While Kris hasn't committed anywhere, the writing seems to be on the wall. I am frustrated with this as well as I'm sure most of our fan base is.

Here's to hoping we kill it this year and show recruits what they're missing out on. With some high profile wins at the beginning of the season, we may be able to secure some of our fringe prospects.