Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) SF Kris Wilkes to UCLA

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Crean might find diamonds in the rough but he's never had a good team without a 5 star here. 

That's a cherry-picked stat. 

Crean has had a five star EVERY YEAR for the past five years (since Cody came). Some of those teams were better than others. Two of them won the B1G outright, three made it to the Sweet Sixteen.

Before Cody, he had no five stars here, and his best team had a soph CWat (36th nationally, a soph Jordy (131th nationally), a freshman Victor and Sheehey (140s) and a junior Verdell (121 nationally).

In other words, no where near the talent or experience we would have next year (senior Josh 120, CuJo 84, DeRon 40, Justin 76, junior Juwan 100 and senior RoJo 49, Clifton 137) 

And that's even if we added no one else...which won't be the case.

Wade wasn't ranked a five star, but played like one.

There are a lot of kids every year that outplay their ranking. Kudos to the coaching staffs that recognized their talent and developed them. The kid from last year was marquese chriss from Washington. Scouting services had him in the 60-100 range and he ends up being the 8th pick in the NBA draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Fair enough. Let's see what he can do. 

Would still feel better if we added Preston. 

I'd like Mo Bamba myself, or a clone of Max Bielfeldt. Preston would be great for the on-court, but there's still a bit of a hired mercenary feel to his recruiting attitude. 

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

There are a lot of kids every year that outplay their ranking. Kudos to the coaching staffs that recognized their talent and developed them. The kid from last year was marquese chriss from Washington. Scouting services had him in the 60-100 range and he ends up being the 8th pick in the NBA draft.

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Didn't say there weren't. There are also many every year that don't outplay their ranking. My point was simply that when CTC had his best year, he had a great player in Wade. To perform at a high level, most coaches need top talent.

Didn't say there weren't. There are also many every year that don't outplay their ranking. My point was simply that when CTC had his best year, he had a great player in Wade. To perform at a high level, most coaches need top talent.

I can't think of a coach that doesn't need top talent to preform at a high level. Top talent can come in many forms it doesn't have to be 5 star players. Bo Ryan might be the closest coach I can think of that could get by without top talent but for him to make a final 4 it took a legit 5 star in dekker, and red shirt kid that they molded into a 5 star player by his junior year in frank, and a under the radar freshman ranked in the 200 that in his senior year is preseason big 10 player of the year in Hayes. Back to Wilkes. Hopefully his decision turns out like the deyondre ayton decision. Everything pointed to Kansas or Kentucky and he decided to stay home and go to Arizona. Different situations though

I hear ya. No matter the star ranking, in the great majority of cases, to improve your chances of reaching the final four or beyond, it's important to recruit very well each or most years. Inside out works for me, i.e., top players from IN and then beyond. If the staff can't get the top IN players, I personally don't care where they are from and hopefully they would be similar in talent to those in IN. But, I certainly don't mind having the 5 star guys like CZ, Yogi, Bryant, Isaiah, etc.

Chriss had a good year but, like Vonleh, he was drafted for more than his production in one year.

I'd like Mo Bamba myself, or a clone of Max Bielfeldt. Preston would be great for the on-court, but there's still a bit of a hired mercenary feel to his recruiting attitude. 

I don't know. I listened to his interview. He made no bones about saying he wants to win HS national championship then try to win a college national championship.

I totally get your point though. He is likely a true one and done but he seems to be a competitive personality that truly wants to win.