Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) SF Kris Wilkes to UCLA

On 10/29/2016 at 8:29 PM, Brass Cannon said:

Here's my concern when was the last time we got a 5 star without some added factor working in our favor?

Bryant Syracuse was facing sanctions. 

JBJ only came here because UK got their first choice. 

Troy I feel we were due to slotting also  I might be wrong though  

So Yogi and Cody were our wins where we went toe to toe with other programs and came out ahead  so to have any chance with a 5 star in a straight up recruiting battle they have to be from Indiana and still it's a long shot  

Mr Wilkes gets home sick at UCLA , I hope IUPUI has A opening for him, hope T Crean wouldn't take him at all!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Nothing good to come from this. Wish or don't wish Wilkes good luck and let's move along. Crean and our fan base couldn't convince him. Let's hope we can find another fish.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well this recruiting class will save his job probably. 

Wilkes will regret his decision when after his Junior year at UCLA he realizes Alford hasn't made him a better player. 

At some point during his junior year, he'll look up at the 3/4 empty stadium during a game at Washington State and wonder if playing a couple summer pick-up games with a few NBA players was worth it.

Called this months ago. There has to be a disconnect in the state of Indiana between the current IU coaching staff and high school programs.. I don't know how else to explain continuously losing out on some of the best talent in the country in their own back yards. Really sucks. I fear the same is going to happen with Langford next year. 

Called this months ago. There has to be a disconnect in the state of Indiana between the current IU coaching staff and high school programs.. I don't know how else to explain continuously losing out on some of the best talent in the country in their own back yards. Really sucks. I fear the same is going to happen with Langford next year. 

Langford is more in the Louisville area than Indiana. Wilkes is more bothersome than him due to location.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

26 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Purely a guess, as I'm in Balt too not Indiana, but I'd guess it's more about AAU programs than high school coaches. 

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Langford is more in the Louisville area than Indiana. Wilkes is more bothersome than him due to location.

I'd consider 90 miles south of Bloomington in IU's back yard. Probably a better chance he ends up in Lexington than Louisville. 

I'd consider 90 miles south of Bloomington in IU's back yard. Probably a better chance he ends up in Lexington than Louisville. 

He is across the river from the Yum center. I would consider that more Louisville's backyard and would be willing to bet he is more likely to end up at Duke than UK.

Expected or not, Crean needs to start closing the deal on kids like this.  I personally don't think Wilkes in particular will be a huge loss; but if we don't get Langford or Phinissee either; we've got a problem.   Indiana University is the state school of Indiana (he states the obvious).    We have by far the greatest tradition, facilities, and offering here in the state; and there's no reason for kids to choose places OVER Indiana unless it's something way beyond Crean's control.  

Any time you get out-recruited by Steve Alford, who has never made it past the sweet 16, never won a conference title in a major conference, and is coming off a losing record; there's an issue.  I know UCLA's campus is gorgeous.  I get it.    But something's missing here.   I honestly don't think Crean can keep getting lucky with kids like Oladipo or Anunoby.  Bryant's gone after this season, as is Blackmon, as is Anunoby.  That's an awful lot to replace; and our recruiting class next season isn't exactly full of star power.   Wilkes aside, we need to do some work locally and start closing the deal.  As much as I love what I see on the court now; I can easily see another huge drop to 8th or 9th next season and beyond if we don't load the cupbord and rapidly.   Crean won't survive another drop like that.

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

Expected or not, Crean needs to start closing the deal on kids like this.  I personally don't think Wilkes in particular will be a huge loss; but if we don't get Langford or Phinissee either; we've got a problem.   Indiana University is the state school of Indiana (he states the obvious).    We have by far the greatest tradition, facilities, and offering here in the state; and there's no reason for kids to choose places OVER Indiana unless it's something way beyond Crean's control.  

Any time you get out-recruited by Steve Alford, who has never made it past the sweet 16, never won a conference title in a major conference, and is coming off a losing record; there's an issue.  I know UCLA's campus is gorgeous.  I get it.    But something's missing here.   I honestly don't think Crean can keep getting lucky with kids like Oladipo or Anunoby.  Bryant's gone after this season, as is Blackmon, as is Anunoby.  That's an awful lot to replace; and our recruiting class next season isn't exactly full of star power.   Wilkes aside, we need to do some work locally and start closing the deal.  As much as I love what I see on the court now; I can easily see another huge drop to 8th or 9th next season and beyond if we don't load the cupbord and rapidly.   Crean won't survive another drop like that.

After what I saw on Friday I doubt we drop that far.  Newkirk, Johnson, Cujo, Morgan and Davis with McSwain and Green off the Bench. 

Need a grad transfer big or Moore to be the real deal but that's a solid rotation that makes the tourney. 

We do need to make a splash in recruiting but honestly I don't see us winning any of the big timers in 2018. Would rather focus energy on Watford and target some solid high 4 stars in 2018. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

After what I saw on Friday I doubt we drop that far.  Newkirk, Johnson, Cujo, Morgan and Davis with McSwain and Green off the Bench. 

Need a grad transfer big or Moore to be the real deal but that's a solid rotation that makes the tourney. 

We do need to make a splash in recruiting but honestly I don't see us winning any of the big timers in 2018. Would rather focus energy on Watford and target some solid high 4 stars in 2018. 

You could be right, and I hope you are.  I'm not as sold as you are on Newkirk, McSwain, and Davis.  I do LOVE Curtis Jones, though.   Kids improve though; and they will.  Depth won that game for us the other night.  We need to keep it through the roster,

Maybe I am an IU traditionalist----but this just makes no sense to me.  Indiana kids used to dream of playing for IU.  Don't get me wrong, I could understand losing one now and then to UK, Kansas, UNC, or Duke-----but not to UCLA.  I like Stevie---but let's face it---he's a good (not great) coach in an average league for a team with average player development and average attendance and who perennially plays average to below average defense and underperforms almost every year in the NCAA's.  Good luck with that Wilkes.  You could have been part of something better---your loss young man.

Alford wins lots of recruiting battles. He may not do a lot with the talent, but he gets lots of it since he's been at ucla.

Yea him being that close to IU sucks, but don't discredit Alford. He's a great recruiter who tells these kids what they want to hear.