Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) SF Kris Wilkes to UCLA

I'd love to be a fly on the wall with our staff when they found out.

I'd like to know how surprised they were with this news or if they saw it coming.

He was our top recruiting priority without a doubt.

If we could pull Preston we would get a better talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We just have to think, the 16-17 season hasn't even started yet. Who knows how this season is going to turn out. No one knows who's going to the NBA, no one knows what grad transfers will be available next year. We'll just have to wait and see. This year should be awesome though, let's take it 1 season at a time

Kris made the decision that he felt was best for himself. I think if he is a "normal" recruit he ends up at IU. But his parents were very confident in his ability to make the right decision and really allowed him to make an independent decision. Not good for IU, but sorta cool given the influence others have in the majority of recruitments. Time will tell if it's the correct decision, but I can see Wilkes being very successful at UCLA. 

I do understand the frustration and- while I don't think THIS recruitment would have been different regardless- I think that given the last few years a change needs to happen with the in-state pitch. And honestly, Buckley doesn't seem to connect. 

I'm not even a "lock down the state" type of guy. I really don't care. But there is a natural advantage to local kids and right now Indiana isn't able to exploit that the way they should. 

Very good post Pap. Unfortunately, Langford will be the next one. I think we can get Jallow if we REALLY wanted him and pushed.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Very good post Pap. Unfortunately, Langford will be the next one. I think we can get Jallow if we REALLY wanted him and pushed.

I think Wilkes and Harris hurt more in the sense of location. Langford is in Indiana, but can see Louisville much easier. Either way we need to do a better job in Indy. There has been a lot of talent come out of that city and we have only got Yogi. That is disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

In regards to Musa, we have literally no excuse to miss on him. He lives in Bloomington and plays basketball with CTCs son. That being said I've heard he really likes Michigan and Ohio State.

In regards to Musa, we have literally no excuse to miss on him. He lives in Bloomington and plays basketball with CTCs son. That being said I've heard he really likes Michigan and Ohio State.

Well if he lives in Bloomington and plays with Tom Crean's son while liking other schools more that may be why we won't go harder. There just isn't much Crean can do if interest isn't reciprocated.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I get making your own decision but this is rough. IU not landing a single top instate kid for 2017. Three of those kids going to schools close but not in the state. Baffling that none of them are buying what IU is selling.

If we're not going to be landing top end talent we'll have to hit on the VO, OG, JMo's of the recruiting world. I would love to see OG be a lottery pick this coming draft and JMo absolutely blow up and go in the first round the following draft.

Honestly, I think the results of our recruits has been great over the last few years. 2 Big Ten titles over the last 4 years, great kids on this year's team, a good share of McD AAs over the last few years.

I know there are people who wring their hands over missing recruits from the state of Indiana. I don't really care where any kids are from, but it does suck to miss on highly ranked guys.

On to the next one. No matter where he's from.

I'm convinced Clifton Moore will "grow" into another "how did we miss him" type. I said that about Devonte Green. I'm saying that about Moore.

However, they aren't Thomas Bryants or Billy Prestons. I still feel like we need a talent like that to be taken seriously next year.

IMO I don't think Wilkes was going to have as huge of an on the court effect as he would have had on our perception. Justin Smith isn't worlds off of Wilkes and he is a better shooter.

Missing Wilkes, the player, doesn't upset me except for the fact we made him #1 and still missed a kid with a million connections. He tried pressuring UK into an offer because he wanted to go there. They didn't bite. That tells u something about his 5 star rating compared to other 5 star players.

Honestly, I think the results of our recruits has been great over the last few years. 2 Big Ten titles over the last 4 years, great kids on this year's team, a good share of McD AAs over the last few years.

I know there are people who wring their hands over missing recruits from the state of Indiana. I don't really care where any kids are from, but it does suck to miss on highly ranked guys.

On to the next one. No matter where he's from.

I have concerns when we miss on primary targets whether they are 3,4 or 5 star kids. We have missed on a lot of our primary candidates.

17 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not sure on why some think that IU missing on Wilkes is such a big deal when Crean has proven to be able to find gems.

N.D. Kendrick tweet.

Glad someone said it worth noting. He has 4 guys making close to 20 million a year in the NBA. (EG, Matthews, Victor, Wade), Cody making almost 15, Vonleh will be a double digit guy next year as well as having 2-3 more guys in the league. He's done enough for recruiting sometimes it just dont go your way. He's got a proven track record of 3 stars turning into 5 stars and a few more that turn into 4 stars. The rankings don't mean nothing to me anymore. Its nice yes and brings excitement, but he has his system in place now that is working for him.

1 minute ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Glad someone said it worth noting. He has 4 guys making close to 20 million a year in the NBA. (EG, Matthews, Victor, Wade), Cody making almost 15, Vonleh will be a double digit guy next year as well as having 2-3 more guys in the league. He's done enough for recruiting sometimes it just dont go your way. He's got a proven track record of 3 stars turning into 5 stars and a few more that turn into 4 stars. The rankings don't mean nothing to me anymore. Its nice yes and brings excitement, but he has his system in place now that is working for him.

Crean might find diamonds in the rough but he's never had a good team without a 5 star here.