Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) SF Kris Wilkes to UCLA

They are generally regarded it's not some state secret that these were factors. And nonetheless we haven't got a 5 star for 2 years now and after this season will have none on our roster. And frankly we don't look well positioned to get any of the 5 stars in 18 that we have targeted so far

Hopefully we can land Wilkes. Your opinion not mine

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The 0-4 on Indiana kids is looking like a reality.

Remarkable. No point getting excited about any 5 stars IU recruits. Langford and Garland included.
If we can't land Wilkes then our odds at 5 stars is going to be incredibly low. Each year of recruiting proves this more and more.

I've been saying similar things for months.. This staff at IU doesn't know how to compete for the best in state talent with any sort of consistency. Losing out on this class in particular will really impact the program negatively in my opinion. 

I've been saying similar things for months.. This staff at IU doesn't know how to compete for the best in state talent with any sort of consistency. Losing out on this class in particular will really impact the program negatively in my opinion. 

Agree to a point. It's not Indiana talent I care about but it's talent overall.

If our class was Waters, Preston, Smith, Moore I wouldn't have an issue with the Indiana thing. It's that we aren't getting highest level players from anywhere. I think Preston is better than Wilkes anyway. I'd love to have Wilkes, don't get me wrong.

Just need to Win. And win the talent.

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Here's my concern when was the last time we got a 5 star without some added factor working in our favor?

Bryant Syracuse was facing sanctions. 

JBJ only came here because UK got their first choice. 

Troy I feel we were due to slotting also  I might be wrong though  

So Yogi and Cody were our wins where we went toe to toe with other programs and came out ahead  so to have any chance with a 5 star in a straight up recruiting battle they have to be from Indiana and still it's a long shot  

So IU was the ONLY school that two McDonalds all Americans could've picked!!?? Thomas Bryant could've went anywhere!!

JBJ could've went to Arizona, Michigan, Michigan State or Kansas. 

Noah had plenty of people after him, but came here.

Troy was being recruited by plenty of other major programs as well. 

Saying were only getting kids, because of this or that is crazy. These kids have had plenty of options. Rojo choose us over UNC. I get what your saying, but until the product on the court falters there is no reason to get mad at Crean. He is trying. Besides maybe Stevens he's our best shot right now and Stevens ain't coming here period. Name one other guy we could get that is better than Crean and I'll gladly say he's failing at his job recruiting wise. None of those other coaches have turned a kid barely ranked and turned them into a #2 pick and another in the 200's where no one even knew and has a shot of being the first B1G kid selected next year. Crean has things other coaches don't just like they have things he don't. Every coach is different and I tend to like Crean and think this year will be a very good one. Next year w DD, RoJo, & Juwan as the studs and possibly JBJ or TB if he keeps falling is a sign of another competitive team. Yes I want banners and yes I want B1G titles and he's given us that so far so until he doesn't I'll gladly welcome whoever he brings in. 5 star or 0 star.

So IU was the ONLY school that two McDonalds all Americans could've picked!!?? Thomas Bryant could've went anywhere!!

Saying were only getting kids, because of this or that is crazy. These kids have had plenty of options. Rojo choose us over UNC. I get what your saying, but until the product on the court falters there is no reason to get mad at Crean. He is trying. Besides maybe Stevens he's our best shot right now and Stevens ain't coming here period. Name one other guy we could get that is better than Crean and I'll gladly say he's failing at his job recruiting wise. None of those other coaches have turned a kid barely ranked and turned them into a #2 pick and another in the 200's where no one even knew and has a shot of being the first B1G kid selected next year. Crean has things other coaches don't just like they have things he don't. Every coach is different and I tend to like Crean and think this year will be a very good one. Next year w DD, RoJo, & Juwan as the studs and possibly JBJ or TB if he keeps falling is a sign of another competitive team. Yes I want banners and yes I want B1G titles and he's given us that so far so until he doesn't I'll gladly welcome whoever he brings in. 5 star or 0 star.

Nope, luckily for us all of those options actually didn't exist. They were forced to pick IU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

51 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

I never said we are ONLY getting kids because of these. You can misrepresent what I am saying but that doesn't change the fact we aren't winning straight up head to head recruiting battles for top talent. 

This targeting 5 stars early and often is a failed recruiting strategy and Crean needs to abandon it. 

14 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We seemed to kick butt with Noah Vonleh. Everything about that was atypical for IU. We simply won him. Thought it would be the beginning of big recruiting wins.

This is the most upsetting thing for me. We were able to get in late with an out-of-state top 10 talent like Vonleh, get him on campus, and sign him, most people like myself thought it was going to be the norm from now on because we were a few months away from putting Zeller and Oladipo into the top 5 picks of the NBA draft.

It's upsetting because rather than that being the norm, Vonleh has proven to be the exception to the rule.  We've tried with guys like Pinson, Marcus Lee, Michael Porter, Cliff Alexander, Mario Kegler, etc. but it just hasn't worked for whatever reason.  That's the frustrating thing because I really felt after Vonleh signed in 2012, the floodgates would open up and we'd have more success with out-of-state guys as well as Indiana kids, but that frankly hasn't been the case at all.  Worse yet, it's not like Vonleh was a bust by any means.  He was a good player and was drafted in the top 10.

No one said that.

Just providing an equally ridiculous counterpoint.

Has anyone considered that up until this offseason, while competing for these 5 stars, it's been pretty damn difficult for Crean to provide them comfort that he'd be the coach at Indiana by the time they arrived on campus? Yet we still had a 5 star almost every year.

27 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Just providing an equally ridiculous counterpoint.

Has anyone considered that up until this offseason, while competing for these 5 stars, it's been pretty damn difficult for Crean to provide them comfort that he'd be the coach at Indiana by the time they arrived on campus? Yet we still had a 5 star almost every year.

The only thing ridiculous is some posters, like you did here, taking a post to an extreme just because you don't like what they said.

Saying we landed them, but circumstances at others leaders made it easier isn't ridiculous.

The only thing ridiculous is some posters, like you did here, taking a post to an extreme just because you don't like what they said.

Saying we landed them, but circumstances at others leaders made it easier isn't ridiculous.

In response to him implying that we wouldn't have won if not for the circumstances at other leaders with no inside knowledge of the situation.

22 hours ago, HooHooHoo22 said:

That is not excessive at all. If I was making a decision like that, I would stay away from the schools until I make my decision. That's giving people false hope. If you have any recruit go on a OV and then the next week they're on campus again at basketball practice and football game, everyone is probably assuming he's going to that school. All I'm saying is, he could of done some things differently. I don't understand why my post is so bad.

What if you were still deciding?

I honestly don't know what it would take for some to be upset with our recruiting results. If our staff didn't actually want these 5 star types we wouldn't be chasing 5 of them every year. We clearly want them, just can't get them.

I know that 'on the court' results trump recruiting results but it still comes down to talent. Problem is, by the time the 'on the court' results get bad it's far too late and the program suffers. It's a momentum thing.

We all remember vividly Creans first three years when he lacked talent...........Our winning teams have focused around 5 stars. (Zeller, Yogi, (VO), high 4 star Watford). (Bryant, Yogi, (OG), Blackmon).

This class isn't finished yet but it is an 'Iowa' type recruiting class so far. Fran Mccaffrey gets a few 4 stars and searches for unheralded 3 stars (remember OG was almost to Iowa). (Garza, McCaffery, Nunge this year). A better or equal recruiting class to ours on paper.

If we don't get back to landing 5 stars and high 4 stars we will be Iowa soon enough.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

This is the most upsetting thing for me. We were able to get in late with an out-of-state top 10 talent like Vonleh, get him on campus, and sign him, most people like myself thought it was going to be the norm from now on because we were a few months away from putting Zeller and Oladipo into the top 5 picks of the NBA draft.

It's upsetting because rather than that being the norm, Vonleh has proven to be the exception to the rule.  We've tried with guys like Pinson, Marcus Lee, Michael Porter, Cliff Alexander, Mario Kegler, etc. but it just hasn't worked for whatever reason.  That's the frustrating thing because I really felt after Vonleh signed in 2012, the floodgates would open up and we'd have more success with out-of-state guys as well as Indiana kids, but that frankly hasn't been the case at all.  Worse yet, it's not like Vonleh was a bust by any means.  He was a good player and was drafted in the top 10.

Not relevant at all but Marcus Lee's entire family told him to go to IU.

Back to bashing Crean :)

11 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

That's not fair pap nobody is bashing Crean people are genuinely upset with our recruiting. It wouldn't matter who the coach was. 

To target double digit 5 stars these last 2 years and whiff on all of them is disappointing beyond belief. 

To once again be staring down a 'few down years' is just depressing. With the amount of money spent on recruiting it's also unacceptable. 

The resources we devote to basketball should guarantee a team capable of being in the mix year in and year out and we aren't getting that. 

This isn't bashing Crean. But the results we are getting are unacceptable and disheartening. 

Maybe you can give us some insight pap. If we aren't selling One and done to our recruits why do we keep targeting kids that expect to be one and done?

I don't consider it Crean bashing.

Also, doesn't that kind of info further the conundrum? What does it take? His entire family told him to go to IU yet he didn't? To me, that adds to our appearance of recruiting inadequacies if anything.

My reactions in this thread aren't focused on Kris Wilkes. It's a cumulative effect.

Had we got a Bamba, Preston ( fingers crossed, I like him better), Bowen, Jaren Jackson or like talent in the class it would make the likely loss of TB and OG more palatable.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners