Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) SF Kris Wilkes to UCLA

15 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Here's my concern when was the last time we got a 5 star without some added factor working in our favor?

Bryant Syracuse was facing sanctions. 

JBJ only came here because UK got their first choice. 

Troy I feel we were due to slotting also  I might be wrong though  

So Yogi and Cody were our wins where we went toe to toe with other programs and came out ahead  so to have any chance with a 5 star in a straight up recruiting battle they have to be from Indiana and still it's a long shot  

Troy wasn't a 5*, but we did land Vonleh. 

Here's my concern when was the last time we got a 5 star without some added factor working in our favor?

Bryant Syracuse was facing sanctions. 

JBJ only came here because UK got their first choice. 

Troy I feel we were due to slotting also  I might be wrong though  

So Yogi and Cody were our wins where we went toe to toe with other programs and came out ahead  so to have any chance with a 5 star in a straight up recruiting battle they have to be from Indiana and still it's a long shot  

Since we are in Indiana we should get our share of top talent since the state produces so many. If we could get our share of the states 5* kids and then mix in with 3 and 4 star kids that the coaches prioritize during recruiting and develop while here big wins should consistently follow.

When we win consistently then our recruiting should pick up. We had a pretty good two year run and our recruiting results however have picked up. Crean works recruiting hard, pretty good two year run, strong Indiana HS class for next year and we don't cash in.

Now if Crean had prioritized a few other kids over Wilkes I might have questioned it but would have given the benefit of the doubt because of some diamonds he has found. A lot of those diamonds though were not after thoughts and that is potentially where we are heading.

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I might jump to your side so I can have a built in excuse even if we land 5 stars. If we don't land any we suck and even if we do we still suck but got lucky. If we land Wilkes what's the excuse?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A realistic assessment isn't an excuse. We aren't winning recruiting battles. It's a fact we just lost a 5 star to another old time blue blood with a coach on the hot seat. 

Owe just lost a PG to a school that swooped in and fed him some bs. 

Our recruiting isn't getting the results it should for the money we spend. 

A realistic assessment isn't an excuse. We aren't winning recruiting battles. It's a fact we just lost a 5 star to another old time blue blood with a coach on the hot seat. 

Owe just lost a PG to a school that swooped in and fed him some bs. 

Our recruiting isn't getting the results it should for the money we spend. 

Maybe but we won the battle I was talking about with Bryant and I won't minimize the effort in landing him

Did you talk to the reporters that reported Syracuse the leader while hanging out or read it online?

The poster referenced Bryant and Syracuse sanctions. You then posted that in an interview he said that did not matter. This has nothing to do with reporters or articles or who was leading. Just that the Syracuse sanctions helped us land him.

I do find it hard to believe that he did not have some sort of list with pros and cons and the sanctions would not have been a big factor against them.

We did win him but it's unfair to act like outside factors didn't help us with him. 

Hell UK didn't even push hard for him. 

i don't know how hard U.K. push for him but they pushed hard enough to host him on an official and since I don't subscribe to iu recruiting newsletter that some on here must subscribe to from iu' coaching staff to know what's really going on I can't answer if outside factors helped us. Hopefully we can get lucky and some outside factors help us land Wilkes

I think it is a fair assessment to say Syracuse sanctions helped us. Maybe we win anyway. We'll never know because said sanctions did exist.

The UK and Blackmon situation is correct. That was a slotting play. His Mom really liked IU. We won but JBJ wanted UK.

We seemed to kick butt with Noah Vonleh. Everything about that was atypical for IU. We simply won him. Thought it would be the beginning of big recruiting wins.

Troy Williams. He was slipping in rankings substantially at end and UNC and UK backed off. It's a fact.

I give Crean the utmost respect for identifying some underrated talent but our recruiting of big time talent has been absolutely awful.

The list is long. Most people know the list.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Remember, Kris Wilkes still has not committed to UCLA or anywhere else.

Well it's sounding like Alford sold him some really good snake oil. Feel for the kid cause Alford/UCLA is not going to help him get to the NBA better than Crean or really any other number of schools. 

Why?

Why?  

You: "Why don't we ever win recruiting battles for 5 stars?"
Me: "What about all theses players?"
You: "No, those don't count because _____."
Me: "Well how'd we get them?"
You: "I don't know, we suck at recruiting so we just got lucky 5 years in a row."

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

You: "Why don't we ever win recruiting battles for 5 stars?"
Me: "What about all theses players?"
You: "No, those don't count because _____."
Me: "Well how'd we get them?"
You: "I don't know, we suck at recruiting so we just got lucky 5 years in a row."

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm supposed to stop posting because your misrepresenting the content of my posts?

We have an atrocious track record with elite talent recruiting in general and especially the last 4 years.  Unless there's a force outside our control helping us  

Bryant - Sanctions

JBJ - Slotting

Troy - Other big boys backed off

We need to change our strategy target the lower end 5 stars and the upper end 4 stars  consistently get class with 2-3 guys in the 20-50s range.

I'm supposed to stop posting because your misrepresenting the content of my posts?

We have an atrocious track record with elite talent recruiting in general and especially the last 4 years.  Unless there's a force outside our control helping us  

Bryant - Sanctions

JBJ - Slotting

Troy - Other big boys backed off

We need to change our strategy target the lower end 5 stars and the upper end 4 stars  consistently get class with 2-3 guys in the 20-50s range.

Your opinion as to why we got those recruits not every bodies. I respect your and others opinion on the subject but I have my own opinion and conclusions on the matter.

36 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Your opinion as to why we got those recruits not every bodies. I respect your and others opinion on the subject but I have my own opinion and conclusions on the matter.

They are generally regarded it's not some state secret that these were factors. And nonetheless we haven't got a 5 star for 2 years now and after this season will have none on our roster. And frankly we don't look well positioned to get any of the 5 stars in 18 that we have targeted so far