Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) SF Kris Wilkes to UCLA

I am not sure why. Maybe he was genuinely trying to decide what he felt was best for his future. He has that right and I would be disappointed if he didn't. If he feels UCLA will get him prepared for the NBA good luck. I disagree Alford can or has proven to do that. He will not play regularly against top talent. That is the ACC or B1G. But to be salty against the kid for making a decision that doesn't make us happy is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I am not sure why. Maybe he was genuinely trying to decide what he felt was best for his future. He has that right and I would be disappointed if he didn't. If he feels UCLA will get him prepared for the NBA good luck. I disagree Alford can or has proven to do that. He will not play regularly against top talent. That is the ACC or B1G. But to be salty against the kid for making a decision that doesn't make us happy is wrong.

Why would I not be salty/disappointed if he doesn't pick us? Am I suppose to be happy ? I'm not talking crap about kris. I wish him the best.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So if Alford gets fired does Wilkes come here?  

Because if his job is determined by his coaching ability I think we still have a decent shot

Good point, in fact Kris would be better off if Stevie got canned and they got a new coach.

Wilkes has to make his best decision and if those include things like Los Angeles, then so be it. If you have to scratch that itch who I am or we to say otherwise? It stings, it sucks, and he should know better. But now is the time to tackle the what if of California if it is intriguing.

Why would I not be salty/disappointed if he doesn't pick us? Am I suppose to be happy ? I'm not talking crap about kris. I wish him the best.

No, but to take issue with him coming to practice and football games is excessive. This sucks no doubt.

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So if Alford gets fired does Wilkes come here?  

Because if his job is determined by his coaching ability I think we still have a decent shot

I think it's pretty obvious he has removed the coaching element from his decision-making process.  He probably has a great relationship with Crean, and likes Alford well enough, but in his head he thinks simply the act of going to UCLA is going to put him into contact with high-rollers and bigwigs in the NBA and entertainment industry.

That's based on reading the tea leaves from people on this board and others, and if it's accurate or pretty close, I wish the kid luck and all the power to him if he makes it.

But I don't want him here if that's his mindset.  His goals are unrealistic and his expectations are not going to be met.  

He may be a 5 star, but he has a lot to improve upon if he wants to get drafted, and that ain't happening under Alford.

No, but to take issue with him coming to practice and football games is excessive. This sucks no doubt.

That is not excessive at all. If I was making a decision like that, I would stay away from the schools until I make my decision. That's giving people false hope. If you have any recruit go on a OV and then the next week they're on campus again at basketball practice and football game, everyone is probably assuming he's going to that school. All I'm saying is, he could of done some things differently. I don't understand why my post is so bad.

That is not excessive at all. If I was making a decision like that, I would stay away from the schools until I make my decision. That's giving people false hope. If you have any recruit go on a OV and then the next week they're on campus again at basketball practice and football game, everyone is probably assuming he's going to that school. All I'm saying is, he could of done some things differently. I don't understand why my post is so bad.

The issue is that's now how recruiting goes at all. Especially if the recruit lives in a school's backyard. It has nothing to do with hurting fans' feelings. Recruiting as a whole is one giant cauldron of false hope.

The issue is that's now how recruiting goes at all. Especially if the recruit lives in a school's backyard. It has nothing to do with hurting fans' feelings. Recruiting as a whole is one giant cauldron of false hope.

lol agreed! I love recruiting and following it unfortunately

Something stinks here. Crean is no world beater by any means but his record of getting kids to the NBA and his reputation within NBA gm's and scouts FAR exceeds that of Steve Alford. It's not even close. Adrian Wojinowski claimed in a podcast that Tom Crean is a top 3 coach in NBA circles. They value his opinion over the likes of many coaches that would shock us.

I don't give a rats arse if Alford is gone next year and he changes his mind and wants to come back into the fold! Absolutely NOT!!! If we are not good enuff the first time around...we are certainly too good for him the second. If that is being "salty" so be it. I spent 20 yrs in the Navy and am proud to be salty. If he chooses UCLA, you can wish him luck if you want. As for me...won't even check his stat lines in the news rags! Care only about the Cream and Crimson!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using BtownBanners mobile app

18 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Well, he didn't go to Hoosier Hysteria this year. There's that.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yeah but he talked about it! Told Hoosier nation to let him know about chants for him. I don't know if he will come here or not but it should be a no brainer! 

29 minutes ago, Demo said:

Come on dude. Forget what NBA types think. If you can't spot the obvious appeal of a half full Pauley with a coach with the history of a Steve Alford stalking the sidelines in a shootout with a Washington St, I don't know what to tell you.

Love your sarcasm!

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

We are recruiting the wrong players. If you are selling development you target high 4 stars not 5 stars and lower end 4 stars. The high 4 stars give you close to the talent of the 5 star but understand they aren't 1 and dones. 

then again we couldn't land Waters because a coaching staff came in at the last minute promising something that more than likely isn't going to happen the way they said it would. 

Development can mean different things when approaching various players. To a potential one and done it's about skill and player development in that one year in an effort to better prepare them for the NBA. Maybe it's also getting a guy like Wilkes from a mid-20 pick to a lottery pick. Those things can mean real dollars to a one and done. 

Just making that that point that "development" doesn't mean no 5*'s. 

24 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

I don't give a rats arse if Alford is gone next year and he changes his mind and wants to come back into the fold! Absolutely NOT!!! If we are not good enuff the first time around...we are certainly too good for him the second. If that is being "salty" so be it. I spent 20 yrs in the Navy and am proud to be salty. If he chooses UCLA, you can wish him luck if you want. As for me...won't even check his stat lines in the news rags! Care only about the Cream and Crimson!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using BtownBanners mobile app

No apology needed! This is the attitude I have about this and many other things! It is a breath of fresh air that I'm not the only one!  Cue the wife so she can see!