Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coachmayhew

Banner Up

Agreed.  The fanbase is knowledgeable enough to understand the depths of what that squad went through.  A special banner isn't necessary to highlight it.  If anything that in and of itself exudes greed and entitlement.

I know I'm only 21, and the only pulse I have is on the student body here in Bloomington, but after last year's season ended, too many people I talked to tossed the team aside, as though the team let them down, like they owed the fans something more. I was absolutely appalled.

I realize they too are young like me, but that is where I think the sense of "entitlement" mentioned comes from, students who see other programs who have instant success and wonder why they can't have it too. 

I know the fanbase stretches farther than the city limits of Bloomington, but what kind of culture can the current program see when nearly half of the fans in AH judge so harshly?

Maybe it's not all about the fans. How about those guys and the staff who were a part of it? I think they deserve it. I really don't care if a few fans get upset over it. It's about the players, not the traditionalists sitting on the couch watching it from their lazy boy.

And again, seeing 2013 along with the other B1G titles would mean more because of what they went through.  The Olympic committee doesn't say "Oh wait, you overcame a lot of adversity.  Here we have a special medal just for you".  The athlete gets the same medal as the other winners, and it has added meaning because of the challenges they faced.  Same difference, the team gets their year on the same banner as the other conference titles and it has added meaning.

Nothing to do with ego or tradition or anything else.  They don't need their own special banner for the accomplishment to have added meaning or for it to be remembered.

We'll have to agree to disagree guys. I don't think either side is changing anyone's mind and I don't have the desire to continue. Carry on without me...  :)

1987 was a long time ago. I'm 17 and Indiana basketball has basically been crap my entire life. The players are the reason Indiana basketball is even at the top again. They brought us our best two year span since the early 90s. Until last year, we hadn't been to consecutive Sweet 16s since the early 90s. I wasn't even born.

It's been a long time since "we've been there." Quit whining and respect the special feat performed by those guys. Not many groups get a chance to revive a program from rock bottom. They're special, and they deserve special regonition.

Just curious as your thoughts on the new banner that was raised tonight? I have a feeling the older and younger generations might have a difference of opinion on this topic.

Agree coach. I think it should be placed with the others. I'm young, 26, and understand both arguments. Just for me, I think it should be with the others. Great topic to bring both view points together.