Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coachmayhew

Time outs?

Whys does coach always save time outs? Sometimes I feel they are needed in the first half. I will not judge how he subs players in and out that is why he is coach. As is calling the time outs but am I the only one who sees the need for a first half TO? I think we should have beat Wisky by +10.

I have noticed that myself this season. I can only think of one reason he may not want to use them. He doesn't want to give the other team any rest. It frustrates me sometimes, I guess I am used to coaches who will use a timeout to stop a run. With that said, I hope that when Buckley gets a head coaching job after this season, that Coach Crean hires a coach who is really good at in game adjustments. I love our assistants, great motivators, great developers, and excellent recruiters, I just think we need one who can step in and say he maybe we should try something different if the game plan doesn't seem to be working.

Like many coaches they try to save as many as you can for end of games if you need them. Agree with earlier post that you tend to let them play through rough patches on home court. The crowd can help slow momentum. I would be much quicker to use TOs on the road to slow momentum.

I've never been a fan of Coach Crean's use or (lack their of) timeouts.  I always have felt like he is one or two possessions BEHIND when a timeout needs to be called.  Sometimes it looks like it is a pride thing with him, and he doesn't want to let that go by calling a time out when another team makes a run.  It can be extremely frustrating.

My philosophy on time outs is use em before you lose em.  Its not like football where using timeouts early is a waste (looking at you Cutler)

My philosophy on time outs is use em before you lose em.  Its not like football where using timeouts early is a waste (looking at you Cutler)

Fair point, but what about in late game situations, where you used one you maybe could have used down the stretch?

Lets be fair here. Crean doesn't need all his timeouts at home. If you look at college bball games, most college have around 3 left going into the last media timeout. Why would you use them in the 1st half when you could need them in the second. If you save 1-3 of them for the final 4 minutes and don't need them, so what. as a coach, you put your team in the most succesful situation with having timeouts

Lets be fair here. Crean doesn't need all his timeouts at home. If you look at college bball games, most college have around 3 left going into the last media timeout. Why would you use them in the 1st half when you could need them in the second. If you save 1-3 of them for the final 4 minutes and don't need them, so what. as a coach, you put your team in the most succesful situation with having timeouts

Agree with your post 100%. Unfortunately Coach hasn't followed that logic. He just doesn't use his timeouts when IU needs them most. Sometimes it even looks like the players are expecting a timeout; and it just doesn't come.