Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BtownBanners

Debate: Does IU Lack a Killer Instinct?

Get a grip. Starting con season on the road n chaotic atmosphere after playing so many cupcakes at home. Yes they didn't play well but pulled out the win anyway. They're tough enough alright. Good win.

They needed this game and this atmosphere to begin getting into a B1G mindset. IUBB has definitely become the "huntED" instead of the "huntERS" this year, and it is highly evident when traveling to places like Carver-Hawkeye. At times, IU allowed Iowa to beat them at their own transition game, which was fed off of lazy and misguided passes and overall lack of effort on the glass. We aren't going to get calls on the road, especially not in conference play - so this team needs to get back into that tough, gritty mindset that fans know they have in them.Throwing away key inbound passes and missing front ends of 1 and 1's will lose games, but hey, a road W is a road W in this league. 

They've played NOBODY all season with the exeption of 2 teams, they're used to blowin everybody outta the water. Big Ten play is different and they need to get into the Big Ten mentality. I think they'll snap out if it, eventually. Expect to lose a few...it happens...

The schedule wasn't that weak in pre Conf. Play. Georgia, NC, Georgetown, Butler. They got a little taste of toughness. Tonight was a great win! No they were not running on all cylinders but that's the sign of a great team! When one guy is down the rest pick up the slack. Great road win! And that "killer instinct" will come as they gel. It's a very deep team with lots of combinations to test out! Great game Hoosiers!

The schedule wasn't that weak in pre Conf. Play. Georgia, NC, Georgetown, Butler. They got a little taste of toughness. Tonight was a great win! No they were not running on all cylinders but that's the sign of a great team! When one guy is down the rest pick up the slack. Great road win! And that "killer instinct" will come as they gel. It's a very deep team with lots of combinations to test out! Great game Hoosiers!

I'll tend to agree with you here Randall. A road Big Ten win is win, regardless of how you get it. It wasn't a pretty win, but at the end of the day Indiana went into Iowa City and came out with the W. Going forward, I really want to see Indiana put the throttle down and make 6-8 point leads into blowouts.

That, is what championship teams do.

What I have read EVERYWHERE I read fan comments blasting this team and the coaching for not scoring more. I really don't understand it. For God's sake, it's not like we are going to shoot 75% all day every day. It's not bad coaching, we were getting open looks that just weren't falling and it happens. I can't even remember the last time Jordan didn't score in a game, so the performance is an outlier. This team doesn't lack a killer instinct by any means. When shots don't fall, they don't fall, and you get back and play hard-nosed D. Gutting out a gritty win in a Big Ten road atmosphere is the best thing that could have happened to this team, because they proved to themselves and the rest that they can, rather than getting into this situation later and not being able to and having a 2-3-4 game skid mid-season.

Thank you sir and amen. You would think that having been through the last few years with our beloved Hoosiers and coming out on top as we have that people would have just a little more faith in this team and the coach that brought us out of the cellar and back to the top. HOOSIERS FOREVER!

Indiana Men's Basketball's twitter said that the team "led the whole game, except for 2:29 in the first half." Sure, there may not have a "killer instinct" to the degree we'd like, but they went into a hostile environment, controlled the entire game, and walked away with a nice win. That's something champion caliber teams do. 

I think they have the killer instinct and have shown it a bit.  As someone said any road win in the Big Ten is a tough one.  I think they need to focus more on winning road games and reminded everyone that we own Assembly Hall. Big Ten teams don't have the same luxury as UK and say they don't want to play there any more.  

I think it comes down to us having too many great players. we don't have a need for someone to just take over the game at one point, and everyone is comfortable letting another player be the guy. This is excluding Victor, who thrives on being the best of the best. I don't think we lack a killer instinct, just that we have no one who wants to be "the guy" if you will.

I think it comes down to us having too many great players. we don't have a need for someone to just take over the game at one point, and everyone is comfortable letting another player be the guy. This is excluding Victor, who thrives on being the best of the best. I don't think we lack a killer instinct, just that we have no one who wants to be "the guy" if you will.

You bring up an interesting point with "the guy". Makes you wonder if the guys are so team-oriented that they don't want to seem selfish and therefore will look to make the extra pass more than they should. Not that it is too much of a problem, but its always healthy to have a little bit of a "I'm gonna get mine" mentality as well

You bring up an interesting point with "the guy". Makes you wonder if the guys are so team-oriented that they don't want to seem selfish and therefore will look to make the extra pass more than they should. Not that it is too much of a problem, but its always healthy to have a little bit of a "I'm gonna get mine" mentality as well

I've noticed our guys can be a little TOO unselfish at times, and it's not that big o deal, but has hurt in some cases, I think Oladipo has the " I'm gonna get mine" mentality and it's showing and paying off well for him.

I've noticed our guys can be a little TOO unselfish at times, and it's not that big o deal, but has hurt in some cases, I think Oladipo has the " I'm gonna get mine" mentality and it's showing and paying off well for him.

Exactly. 

I would have to say Sheehey has about the perfect balance of take and give, but he overplays one or the other at times. Yogi is becoming more confident with his shot, and we all know what Cody can do when given the chance.