Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IU Hoosier41

Impact of Calbert Leaving

I'll be honest, I was sick when I saw he took the St Louis job. I loved having him in our program and really wanted to see him become an assistant with IU. The weird thing to me is he turned down an assistant job with IU when Setzler left right? Maybe he didnt like the direction of IU or working with Crean? An assistant job at Indiana is obviously more prestigious than St Louis.

Beyond that, I think he added a ton to our success over the last two seasons. On the court, off the court and a huge impact on recruiting. Having a caliber of player and scorer like calbert had to have a big impact on recruits. They could relate and learn a lot from him. I think this departure will hurt more than many think. I think behind the scenes, Calbert was a HUGE part of this team. What do you all think?

I don't like this at all. I'm hoping that it was a philosophy on how to play that caused Calbert to leave. It just seems so odd that he would turn down an asst. job last year, yet take an offer from St. Louis this year.  Not sure what to make of this, but I hope Calbert has success. 

St.L is a smaller program under less scrutiny and pressure than IU, but with a connection to IU by way of Crews.  It fits well with the public statements that Calbert has made over the course of two years now about taking a conservative approach to a career in coaching. It may be (and in fact probably is) as simple as that.

St.L is a smaller program under less scrutiny and pressure than IU, but with a connection to IU by way of Crews.  It fits well with the public statements that Calbert has made over the course of two years now about taking a conservative approach to a career in coaching. It may be (and in fact probably is) as simple as that.

Certainly hope that is the case. Still seems a bit bizarre but I can get comfortable with that explanation.