Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
All_Hoosiers

ARTICLE:IUFB's QB Dilemma: Who Will Start?

Indiana's season opener against Indiana State is fast approaching. With just over a month until kick-off, the QB competition remains very tight. We examine each quarterback, and ask you one question: "Who do you think will be the starter?"As the season nears, the quarterback competition remains very tight. Tre Roberson, Cam Coffman, and Nate Sudfeld are neck-and-neck, as head coach Kevin Wilson awaits for a dynamic QB to separate from the group. Let's take a look at each QB.

Tre Roberson: About halfway through his freshman season, former Indiana Mr. Football Tre Roberson claimed the starting role. In his first year, he passed for 937 yards, three touchdowns, and six interceptions, along with a 57.0 completion percentage. The dangerous dual-threat quarterback also ran for 426 yards and two touchdowns.

In 2012, Roberson won the starting job and seemed poised for a big year. His passing looked much better, as his completion percentage raised to 66.0% compared to 57.0% in his freshman year. He seemed much more comfortable with the offense. Unfortunately, as Roberson was rushing in the redzone, he broke his leg in the second game of the year against UMASS. This derailed his season, forcing Cam Coffman and Nate Sudfeld had to fill-in during his absence.

In less than two complete games played in 2012, Roberson compiled 501 yards of total offense and five touchdowns.

Roberson may have the most upside and athleticism of the three vying for the starting role. Some even argue he's the most talented of the bunch. He's also won a starting job before, and thrives off the pressure and competition. If he's improved since last year, Roberson could be the dynamic quarterback Wilson wants.

Kevin Wilson has noticed Roberson's dual-threat ability: "The best athlete of the crowd is probably Tre Roberson."

Cam Coffman: After Roberson went down last year, Cam Coffman stepped in and played relatively well. He had his struggles, forcing Nate Sudfeld to play some QB in relief at times, but ultimately was the best quarterback for Indiana.

In 11 games last year, Coffman passed for 2,743 yards, 15 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions, along with a 60.7 completion percentage. He also rushed for one touchdown. He passed for over 300 yards in three of the last four games and threw for under 230 yards just three times.

Coffman may have the most experience of Indiana quarterbacks. He may also be the most polished passer. Coffman can sling the ball all over the field and post huge numbers any given game. Wilson says Coffman has great anticipation, vision, and is a little daredevil in him.

One would assume that the QB competition will likely come down between him and Roberson.

Nate Sudfeld: Sudfeld was originally redshirted last year, but Roberson's injury forced him to play.

The highly-touted quarterback appeared in seven games as a freshman last season, mostly playing a relief-type role for Cam Coffman. His best performance came against Illinois when he went 10-15, threw for 107 yards, and two touchdowns, ultimately leading the Hoosiers to victory.

Overall for the season, Sudfeld passed for 632 yards, seven touchdowns, and one interception, along with a 62.2 completion percentage. While he had a numerous chances, he never took the starting job from Coffman.

Wilson says Sudfeld has the strongest arm of the three and is a "very smart, young player, very good." Sudfeld, the youngest of the group, is a true sophomore this year, and can still be redshirted, but Wilson has said that won't happen.

Indiana had the top passing attack in the Big Ten last year, and Wilson is looking to improve even more. Knowing that, all seem capable of starting, but who do you think will be the starter when the season kicks-off? Comment and tell us why.

Follow Jeff on Twitter: @All_Hoosiers

Follow BtownBanners on Twitter: @BtownBanners

Click here to view the article

I say Tre Wins it.  I also agree that we would have gone to a bowl game if he had stayed healthy last year.  He would have given us that extra spark on offense to close out those close losses.

For example, in the 31-27 loss to Michigan State, the offense could barely do anything in the 4th quarter.  I believe that Tre's athleticism and running ability could have gone a long way in helping score at the end of that game.

Side note on that game:

It was the first IU football game I went to.  I went with my cousins, and while we were in the car leaving my cousin asks something like, "Where does Tyler Zeller play?" I answered, "He's playing in the NBA for the Cavs."  Then he said, "What's the name of the one that plays for IU?"  I said, "Cody."  And he said, "Well I think I was walking right beside him, actually I think that's him over there."  Of course I said something like, "No it can't be him," but when I looked at the REALLY tall guy in a grey hoody, I saw that famous big/pointy Cody Zeller nose.  Then it got even crazier, because when we drove past the guy, I looked at him, and it really was Cody!!!!!! I wanted to jump out of the car so badly, but my aunt was on the phone for an important call.  So there I was, stuck hopelessly in the car, while only about 15 feet away from me stood one of the greatest players in IU basketball history.  I wanted to wring my cousins neck for not realizing sooner!!!