Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IU Hoosier41

FINAL: Indiana 88 - Minnesota 81 - Thoughts

What a story of two halves. First half Indiana played the best basketball I have seen in the Tom Crean era. Unselfish, hard-nosed defense, gritty performance. Indiana controlled the pace of the game from tip to the final buzzer. Ball movement was quite impressive for Indiana. That was the first time we have seen that kind of movement since the shellacking of North Carolina earlier this season.

The second half... Unreal. Indiana has shown the ability to build giant leads, but hasn't shown the ability to maintain them well. A 23 point lead in the second half, and Indiana leads by 3 with under a minute to go. How does that happen? This team seems like they take 1 step forward, and 2 steps back. 16 games into the season, I still don't know who this Indiana team is.  For as frustrating as Indiana was in the second half, you have to give Minnesota credit.  That was a gutsy performance to come out in the second half and make that comeback in an environment as electric as Assembly Hall.

Victor Oladipo - Love this kid and his game. He was definitely Indiana's MVP today. That being said, the three fouls on three point shots is inexcusable to give up. Hollins was doing a great job of getting those calls, but Vic needs to be smarter. I'll give Vic the benefit of the doubt though. When you play the game at 110mph, you will make mistakes. Today's mistakes almost cost Indiana a win.

I was extremely excited at half-tme, now I just don't know what to think. Thoughts?

#IUBBPickem Results, Analysis, Leaderboards

Highlights:

Great win. Need to be better from the line. Going to the line a lot in the second half disrupted the offense a little. Could've put this thing away from the line no matter what Minnesota shot from three.

From the AP:

INDIANAPOLIS -- Victor Oladipo had 20 points and six rebounds and Jordan Hulls knocked down four 3-pointers, helping No. 5 Indiana hold off No. 8 Minnesota's late charge for an 88-81 victory Saturday. The Hoosiers (15-1, 3-0 Big Ten) have won six straight overall and 18 in a row at Assembly Hall.

Minnesota (15-2, 3-1) was led by Andre Hollins with 25 points but had its 11-game winning streak snapped despite rallying from 23 points down at halftime to within 3 with 19.5 seconds left.The game flipped midway through the first half when Hulls got the 3-pointer flurry started. He and Oladipo combined for 16 points in an 18-2 run that gave Indiana a 34-17 first-half lead.

The Hoosiers extended the halftime lead to 52-29.Minnesota rallied with a 19-7 run in the final four minutes, getting as close as 84-81 but never had a chance to tie the score.

We so lack that killer instinct! We have to learn to kick em when there down! Credit to Tubby and his team to show that much heart! I pray we have that much when we go to Minnesota! We have the tools but much work to do! Cody saved that game for us!

We so lack that killer instinct! We have to learn to kick em when there down! Credit to Tubby and his team to show that much heart! I pray we have that much when we go to Minnesota! We have the tools but much work to do! Cody saved that game for us!

I don't think we lack a killer instinct.  That killer instinct was very prevalent in the first half.  Unfortunately, I think we lack the ability to close out a game.  I'll be doing some research on the final 5 minutes of IU games this year, have a feeling it won't be pretty.

we came out in the second half cold from behind the arc, that was a bad thing in my mind, also that little spout when it was under a minute with abell turning the ball over by stepping in bounds before passing the ball, then the hulls turnover, that cant happen, we needed to calm down, but i give a lot of credit to minnesota's defense, they are very great, and are doing a great job on the season, i think they are gonna be hungry after this win, but im hoping iu doesnt allow this habit to blow big leads continue.

IU gets up big then they relax. I'm predicting that IU will be up and another team will come back and win. I think that will wake this ball team up. Gotta play all 40 mins.

I was really upset when Jordy missed 2 free throws late in the game. But then SOMEHOW regained the ball and tried to run some clock out rather than go back to the basket...great leadership. I can see so many players getting frustrated after missing FTs but Jordy waited till after the whistle to vent and busted two after regaining composure. Tough second half, Minnesota had a lot of second efforts but we won against a ranked team and I'm cool with that!

I don't think we lack a killer instinct, I just think for some reason that I do not understand, why we don't continue to play the same way in the 2nd half the way we played in the 1st..

Our PG has 7 asts in the 1st half but only 1 in 2nd?  He's improving each and every game.  Give him the ball.  His penetration opened up lanes for him or kick outs for open jumper.  We got away from that. 

Also, those 3s we were hitting didn't go down in the 2nd half.  Watford & Co. were clanking them.

FTs, our 2 best FT shooters missed some crucial ones. 

We will learn from this and i'm pretty sure Wisconsin will have to pay for that 2nd half today.

Ok..first time in Forum so a little background on myself. I was FORCED to move to Salem Indiana when I was 4 from Louisville, KY! Hence my name. I HATED Bobby Knight, now that I'm older, I LOVE him! I really appreciate Tom Crean and what he has done for program! Now back to TOPIC: Indiana needs to play a full GAME to be able to play with other BIG TEN teams. Crean can only do so much but he needs to take a timeout with 5 min to go a really evaluate what personnel and game plan to Finish!