Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HoosierBeezo

Trey Burke

Was wondering why Michigan's Trey Burke is getting all this hype (which I think he deserves) but Cody is getting hammered by people?

A lot of people are saying Zeller is frustrating because he's not being physical or aggressive.

Zeller is better this year than last year in every category than last year except FT pct. His pts/g, rbs, blocks & fg pct is all higher and blocks and steals are almost exact.

Burke has increased his ppg & asts per game but doesnt even avg more steals per game than Zeller and he's a guard. Also, for a shooter he is only averaging 39pct on his 3pt shots.

Also, Zeller has gotten to the FT line 111 times making 79 while Burke has only gotten to the FT line 49 times making 38.

Now, I like Burke but don't understad why some IU fans & media are gushing over Burke and saying Zeller isn't playing very well so far.

I disagree... I think he's playing very well.  I would like to see him be more aggressive and physical but is that who he is?  I think he has it in him, I remember and loved when he laid out the big from Illinois last year that went pro.  But I still think Zeller has had a really good year so far. IMO.

Zeller...16.5pts, 7.9rbs, 1.2asts, 1.4stls, 1.3bks, 63fg%, 71ft%

Burke...18pts, 3rbs, 7.3asts, 1.3sts, .4bks, 53fg%, 77ft%

Preseason hype is all it is. That and some fans have very high expectations of Cody. They think everything should be run through him 90% of the time, which is absurd. I've said it about 100 times to many different people: this TEAM has talent, not just Cody. So he isn't averaging 25 and 15, so what? This is a team for a reason, they play together, and they play a very balanced game, which is why the "big numbers" aren't there: they don't need to be. 

Because of all the preseason hype, I think fans and media thought Cody would just barrel down anyone who looked at him funny, which was wrong to assume, because that's not his game, nor is it the team's mindset to just constantly look to Zeller. 

About Burke, everyone is riding high on him because he and his team are winning, and winning at a nice clip I might add. He just seems to be talked about in a more positive light because he wasn't projected as the front runner for POY.

Trey Burke is a very good scoring point guard on an undefeated team........the hype and positive press will stay with him until Michigan loses.

Cody is a very good center on a team with multiple scoring options.......Michigan may have as many options, but the ball ALWAYS goes through Trey....sometimes we forget about Cody as an option, some games more than others. The challenge for IU is to make Cody that option with most possessions. The challenge for Cody is to demand that option more by working harder for the ball in his spots....... 

I think the two posters above nailed it. I also think Cody showing a rapid improvement in his game was almost impossible this year. What didn't Cody do his freshman year? Many people believed the hype with Indiana being No.1 and Cody being the Preseason POY. In all honesty, for Cody to show a large improvement would mean he would be unstoppable on every play.

I said this in another post, but the thing about Cody is he is extremely talented in all aspects of the game. He doesn't really have a weakness (although shooting could be said since he never shoots). On the opposite side of the equation, Cody also isn't superb at any one thing. Trey is extremely good at certain parts of his game which makes him stand out a little more.

I think the two posters above nailed it. I also think Cody showing a rapid improvement in his game was almost impossible this year. What didn't Cody do his freshman year? Many people believed the hype with Indiana being No.1 and Cody being the Preseason POY. In all honesty, for Cody to show a large improvement would mean he would be unstoppable on every play. I said this in another post, but the thing about Cody is he is extremely talented in all aspects of the game. He doesn't really have a weakness (although shooting could be said since he never shoots). On the opposite side of the equation, Cody also isn't superb at any one thing. Trey is extremely good at certain parts of his game which makes him stand out a little more.

couldn't have said it better myself

I was hoping cody would be more of a defensive stopper this season. Last season Jordy got burned a lot which put cody in difficult situations. This season with the addition of Yogi I was hoping to see Cody get a few more blocks, and be in better position to grab some defensive rebounds. Still plenty of time left in the season.