Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XLevel

2014 Recruiting Class

2014 Recruiting Class:

Projected Class Size of 4

Committed:

James "Sloppy Janitor" Blackmon, Jr. - SG - Currently ranked 39 on the ESPN 60, but that was before he came back from injury and started averaging 38.2 ppg.  He garnered the nickname "Sloppy Janitor" from IU Assistant Coach Kenny Johnson because he "drops buckets."

Wish list:

JaQuan Lyle - PG - Currently ranked 14th in the ESPN 60.  Good friends with James Blackmon, Jr.  Plays for Evansville's Bosse and has put up 6 triple doubles in 8 games last time I saw.  This back court would be unbelievable.

Theo Pinson - SF - Currently ranked 7th in the ESPN 60 just behind #5 Trey Lyles and could make his decommitment sting a lot less.

Cliff Alexander - C - Currently ranked 8th in the ESPN 60.  Competes hard on both ends, and has the hands and size to receive the pass and finish.  His main weakness may be his strength and conditioning, but we know this is an IU strong point which will negate this possible weakness.

Over-Recruit:

Grayson Allen - SG - Currently ranked 31th in the ESPN 60.  Cerebral player who is high percentage from behind the arc and can also drive to the bucket and slam it down.  Had a stand out 2012 summer where he dropped 40 in a game.  Was emailing colleges shortly before the summer.  Diamond in the rough type.  I'm thinking Oladipo/Sheehey type recruit that CTC can develop.

Ahmed Hill - G/SF - Currently ranked 23rd in the ESPN 60.  All around player but needs to work on his ball handling.  "Doesn't have to score to make his presence felt." - ESPN Analyst  Really sounds like an Oladipo type of player.  Quoted as being "very interested” in IU, but is being targeted by Duke.  Dropped 41 pts. and 17 rebs. earlier in the year and judging by his tweets is averaging around 35-38 ppg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who do you guys like for 2014 and why?

Love Blackmon. Always skeptical when you take such an early commit, but this kid is going to be good. He's putting up points in bunches this year in Ft Wayne. I know points aren't everything, I love when IU has a player that can just flat out put the ball in the net. James Blackmon will be this type of player for Indiana.

JaQuan Lyle - would love to see him in Assembly Hall. Most people questioned his maturity and character (which i feel is premature to do. He was only a freshman in high school...) The kid can play. All it takes is a simple Youtube search and you can see he plays with confidence. Most people would probably call that arrogance or cockiness, but I'm going to stick with Confidence :)

Pinson / Alexander - Honestly don't know much about them. Judging from their rankings, both are solid players.

*Stepping onto my soapbox*

I love all these guys Coach Crean is going after, and love his recruiting ability... BUT, I think he is starting to drift away from Indiana players. Many people will probably agree & disagree with this, but I want Indiana players on this team. I know players from other areas of the country are "better" from a rankings perspective and might just be better. The one thing they lack... they don't have the passion that is Indiana Basketball. Growing up in Indiana, you know high school basketball. The high school players are your idols when you are young and have just started travel BBall or junior high ball. I just feel like Indiana plays with an edge, is a real TEAM and not all in it for themselves. I'm afraid by pulling in too many top talents from across the country could lose that togetherness. When you watch IU play, you can tell the players really respect and care for one another. I DON'T want to lose that. I'm ending this rambling post now, don't worry. I just want Indiana to always have that same FIRE they currently have. Whether I'm right or wrong, I want Indiana players on the team to ensure they still know what basketball means to Hoosiers.

*Hopping down from my soapbox*

I'm going to have to disagree a little here with you 41.  I love having players from Indiana as well, but, I can't say how much I have loved watching kids come from other states and their passion for Indiana and their love for basketball and Indiana Basketball. Guys like Moye, Fife, Creek, DJ White, Oladipo and Sheehey to name a few.

Even this years team along with last years team is very balanced with in-state Hoosiers and out of state Hoosiers.  That looks to continue with Davis, Hartman and Blackmon already committed and ones that we are recruiting (Lyle, Coleman, Edwards).

I see it the same as Duke, they recruit nationally but they love what is on the front of their chest, same will be for Indiana!! Because, Its Indiana!!

I'm going to have to disagree a little here with you 41.  I love having players from Indiana as well, but, I can't say how much I have loved watching kids come from other states and their passion for Indiana and their love for basketball and Indiana Basketball. Guys like Moye, Fife, Creek, DJ White, Oladipo and Sheehey to name a few.

Even this years team along with last years team is very balanced with in-state Hoosiers and out of state Hoosiers.  That looks to continue with Davis, Hartman and Blackmon already committed and ones that we are recruiting (Lyle, Coleman, Edwards).

I see it the same as Duke, they recruit nationally but they love what is on the front of their chest, same will be for Indiana!! Because, Its Indiana!!

Well said Southpaw.

I would hate to see JaQuan get away from us, hate losing out on top Indiana kids that can play anywhere. Love Blackmon and think he is going to contribute from day 1, the kid can flat out score. As long as the recruits are the right fit, you have to get the talent wherever they come from. I would like to think we will always have the Indiana kids that have the talent to play at IU going to IU. HS talent is so good in Indiana we will always have home grown players on our roster.

I think Pinson is a long shot (being from North Carolina), and IU is more likely to get someone like 5* Dwayne Morgan.  

Jaquan is definitely tearing it up right now.  Doesn't seem like anyone really knows who currently leads for him, or maybe it's just  because it's kind of been a roller coaster recruitment, where he's high on one team and then not so much a couple weeks later.

I don't think we are an option for JaQuan Lyle anyways.. I don't have any inside info but from twitter, @NDKendrick is like his mentor and I believe he said Lyle wouldn't fit good at IU because of the atmosphere.

Hard to recruit in indiana for any school. When IU, Butler, Purdue, ND are all in the mix not to mention power houses like Duke, Kentucky,and North Carolina breathing down their necks

Sorry, Southpaw, but I have to disagree. The Hoosiers are def in the mix for Lyle. He has been to Hoosier Hysteria and has tweeted about being excited to see future games. I can't remember if it was Minnesota or Michigan or both.

Somehow Lyle has my daughter's cell number and has texted her a few times. He probably has seen her play basketball against Bosse. She ends her reply by telling him he needs to come to IU. He always says they are #1 with him. What else is he going to say?

My opinion is that I hope he goes somewhere else.  He is a junior now and probably at a career high for technical fouls. He got one for kicking a kid. The other night he got a second technical for a skirmish against EVV Central.  The refs made the signal to leave the floor then his coach and AD argued with the official and it was changed to a regular double foul.

He has a clown for a coach that will never teach him to control his emotions. The coach has probably made his lack of respect worse for officials. He has talent, but I worry that he will not be a good fit and a future distraction in the locker room.  We had a bunch of problem players under Sampson. I don't see that he has changed from the kid that walked off the court, angry about a call and caused his team a loss last year against Castle.

Sorry, Southpaw, but I have to disagree. The Hoosiers are def in the mix for Lyle. He has been to Hoosier Hysteria and has tweeted about being exited to see future games. I can't remember if it was Minnesota or Michigan or both.

Not my opinion, XLevel, just going by what I ready from a scout that is his mentor.

James "Sloppy Janitor" Blackmon, what a great nickname. All the players mentioned above sound good but winning sounds better. As long as Coach keeps us rolling as a team then I am all for it. With that said, bring on the "Sloppy Janitor"

I think Pinson is a long shot (being from North Carolina), and IU is more likely to get someone like 5* Dwayne Morgan.  

You may be right but Rivals is showing him taking an official visit to Btown when Michigan is in town with no other official visits scheduled yet. Plus you have to like a kid who has the talent to go there but doesn't put pUKe on their list ;)

U would have to think that if Dante Exum did commit to IU this weekend, this would probably mean no room for Lyle, correct?

I believe so. I wonder how much recruits take competition for scholarships into consideration. This is from earlier today. "@daanteee: Indiana was crazy! Really set the bar high for the other schools! #realtalk #2014 #iubb"

UPDATE: Re: Grayson Allen

I have spoken with him via Twitter and it seems like his interest in Indiana is high, but he doesn't have an offer at this time.

UPDATE: Re: Theo Pinson & Phil Booth

Both attended IU vs Michigan on Saturday.  Phil Booth tweeted pics from his seats, but no reaction.  Theo Pinson tweeted several pics (one with DickieV), "It's so freakin hype in here! #crazy" and "Well Indiana it's been fun!!"

UPDATE: Re: James Blackmon Jr. & younger brother Vijay Blackmon (2016)

Both attended IU vs Michigan on Saturday.  JB is already signed.  I'm not sure if Vijay has an offer at this point and he tweeted on picture which is no longer available.  In their last two games, they scored 42,40 and 25, 21 respectively.

UPDATE:  Re: JaQuan Lyle

He did not attend the game because he had a game of his own against Evansville North.  30 pts 14 rebs 9 asts