Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

Favorite Basketball Moments

February 27, 2005. Assembly Hall. #10 Michigan State comes to Bloomington. Spartans were on a 6 game winning streak.
Spartans started Drew Neitzel, Alan Anderson, Shannon Brown, Maurice Ager and Paul Davis. Indiana started Marshall Strickland, Bracey Wright, Rodrick Wilmont, Robert Vaden and Pat Ewing Jr. Bracey Wright goes for 32 and DJ White scores 17 off the bench. Indiana upsets #10 in the nation 78-74 in OT.
I remember pacing in our upstairs living room watching this game on a massive 20” box tv lol. I really hated Paul Davis and Drew Neitzel back them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Gotta go with this as one of my favorites. I was working in the Celtics PR Department at the time and that day someone on our scoring crew couldn't make the game so I filled in. I was the scorekeeper for the game and if you look at the scorers table right after he releases the shot, my seat was right about where the F is in "Foundation" is at the table. 

I know most of you are probably Pacers fans, but for a Celtics fan/someone working for the team it was such an amazing moment watching that unfold so close to the action! 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

That’s an awesome story! I wasn’t a Paul Pierce fan but the dude could score. He just didn’t have any help until Ray and KG got there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Paul is my favorite. People forget everything he went through with the stabbing early in his career and how he bounced back from that. He's a warrior. But yes, it's a shame he went so long with no help. Unfortunately for me, I left the team for a different job two years before the '08 title.

I still maintain that if KG hadn't gotten hurt the year after their championship (08-09), that group would have won at least 2 if not 3 titles. They were 28-3 when KG hurt his knee and missed the rest of that season, and he was never really the same when he came back the next year. They would have beaten Orlando in the '09 playoffs that year (they took them 7 games even without KG) and they took LA 7 games in the Finals the next year with a hobbled KG and Perkins blowing out his knee in Game 6 of that series.  

Paul is my favorite. People forget everything he went through with the stabbing early in his career and how he bounced back from that. He's a warrior. But yes, it's a shame he went so long with no help. Unfortunately for me, I left the team for a different job two years before the '08 title.
I still maintain that if KG hadn't gotten hurt the year after their championship (08-09), that group would have won at least 2 if not 3 titles. They were 28-3 when KG hurt his knee and missed the rest of that season, and he was never really the same when he came back the next year. They would have beaten Orlando in the '09 playoffs that year (they took them 7 games even without KG) and they took LA 7 games in the Finals the next year with a hobbled KG and Perkins blowing out his knee in Game 6 of that series.  

Yea they could have. Though those LA teams were really good too with Kobe, Ariza/Artest, Pau Gasol in his prime, Andrew Bynum, Fisher and Odum. Those were actually some fun NBA seasons. Orlando was pretty good too. Van Grundy set up a perfect system for that team. They had their megastar in Howard. They played small ball perfectly with Lewis and Hedo playing the 3/4. Courtney Lee and Alston at guards. Gortat and Pietrus off the bench. If you remember, Jameer Nelson had been injured throughout the playoffs and didn’t play until the Finals. Had he been healthy, Magic could have beaten the Lakers. That and if Courtney Lee would have just dunked it, but instead missed that layup.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yea they could have. Though those LA teams were really good too with Kobe, Ariza/Artest, Pau Gasol in his prime, Andrew Bynum, Fisher and Odum. Those were actually some fun NBA seasons. Orlando was pretty good too. Van Grundy set up a perfect system for that team. They had their megastar in Howard. They played small ball perfectly with Lewis and Hedo playing the 3/4. Courtney Lee and Alston at guards. Gortat and Pietrus off the bench. If you remember, Jameer Nelson had been injured throughout the playoffs and didn’t play until the Finals. Had he been healthy, Magic could have beaten the Lakers. That and if Courtney Lee would have just dunked it, but instead missed that layup.

Orlando was definitely good, and agree on VanGundy's system to fit that team, but again the Celtics took them 7 games that year without KG. They took them 7 games with Glen Davis starting and Brian Scalabrine playing 23 mpg in that series. Boston wins that series and goes to the Finals if KG never gets hurt. 

Agree on the Lakers as well. If KG never gets hurt, I'd say those two play three years in a row in the Finals. I think the Celtics definitely win two of those, as they came super close to winning in 2010 even with KG's and Perk's injuries (IIRC the Celtics were actually up 10 in the 4th in LA in Game 7, they just ran out of gas). But agree, I can't see Kobe getting swept in 3 straight Finals. 

I'm clearly biased, but I think it'd be hard to argue that those Celtics don't win two if KG hadn't hurt his knee. For me at least, it's interesting to think about how Pierce is viewed if he has 2 titles, and potentially 2 Finals MVP's (though of course no guarantee he would have been MVP the second time)? 

Orlando was definitely good, and agree on VanGundy's system to fit that team, but again the Celtics took them 7 games that year without KG. They took them 7 games with Glen Davis starting and Brian Scalabrine playing 23 mpg in that series. Boston wins that series and goes to the Finals if KG never gets hurt. 
Agree on the Lakers as well. If KG never gets hurt, I'd say those two play three years in a row in the Finals. I think the Celtics definitely win two of those, as they came super close to winning in 2010 even with KG's and Perk's injuries (IIRC the Celtics were actually up 10 in the 4th in LA in Game 7, they just ran out of gas). But agree, I can't see Kobe getting swept in 3 straight Finals. 
I'm clearly biased, but I think it'd be hard to argue that those Celtics don't win two if KG hadn't hurt his knee. For me at least, it's interesting to think about how Pierce is viewed if he has 2 titles, and potentially 2 Finals MVP's (though of course no guarantee he would have been MVP the second time)? 

I could see that. But I’m honestly glad it turned out how it did. No one thought Orlando would beat Cleveland. It was good for a team like that to make the Finals. I think people forget how great Howard was. He was an absolute monster.

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I could see that. But I’m honestly glad it turned out how it did. No one thought Orlando would beat Cleveland. It was good for a team like that to make the Finals. I think people forget how great Howard was. He was an absolute monster.

Like I said, I'm biased so I don't like it, because of course I would have loved to have seen that Celtics group with more than one title. But, I see where you're coming from. Howard was a beast, absolutely. He's just been so unlikeable the last 5 or so years, and then you add onto that the all of the injuries that have diminished him game and all wrapped up it's going to hurt his legacy. 

The old Hoosier Scout board when there was a rumor Eric Gordon was decommitting from UI. 

Wasn't my favorite moment in basketball, but it's one of my favorite on "internet basketball". 

BGleas, you were with the Celtics back in 04-05? How good was that Phoenix Suns team to watch in person? I looked it up and seen they went 1-1 on the season. That Phoenix was crazy on offense. D-Antoni had the 7 seconds or less offense well oiled with Nash, Joe Joshnson, Quentin Richardson, Shawn Mario and Amare Stoudemire.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

BGleas, you were with the Celtics back in 04-05? How good was that Phoenix Suns team to watch in person? I looked it up and seen they went 1-1 on the season. That Phoenix was crazy on offense. D-Antoni had the 7 seconds or less offense well oiled with Nash, Joe Joshnson, Quentin Richardson, Shawn Mario and Amare Stoudemire.

Yes, was with the C's from 02-06. The Suns were phenomenal. What was amazing to watch up close and personal, was how Nash just controlled the entire thing. He was always in complete control of what they were doing. I know some people discount his MVP's because sometimes guys win because there becomes MVP fatigue with superstars like MJ and LeBron, etc., but Nash was amazing during those years. 

Yes, was with the C's from 02-06. The Suns were phenomenal. What was amazing to watch up close and personal, was how Nash just controlled the entire thing. He was always in complete control of what they were doing. I know some people discount his MVP's because sometimes guys win because there becomes MVP fatigue with superstars like MJ and LeBron, etc., but Nash was amazing during those years. 

Well Nash took a Suns team that still had Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire and Leandro Barbosa that went 29-53 in 04-05 and the next season they went 62-20 by adding Nash and Richardson. But Nash made that engine go. He was just that smart.

Mine isn't college or Pro related. My favorite Basketball memory is 1986 when my HS won both the Boys and girls ClassA State Basketball Championships. They went a combined 65 and 1. The girls lost to 2A State powerhouse East St louis early in the year. My girlfriend, now my wife, was on the girls team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mine isn't college or Pro related. My favorite Basketball memory is 1986 when my HS won both the Boys and girls ClassA State Basketball Championships. They went a combined 65 and 1. The girls lost to 2A State powerhouse East St louis early in the year. My girlfriend, now my wife, was on the girls team.

On a more somber note, the boys had junior on the team who was being recruited by Kansas. I was told he was going to sign with them the following fall before his Senior season. Unfortunately, he was killed in an automobile accident that fall.