Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB - News and Notes

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Berger is gonna be a stud for another two years. Sweet stroke and mid-range game. 

We have really let a lot of in state talent run off..jenna and jorie allen, muensterman, darby foresman, beeler, Jennings transferred to butler instead of here and we really went hard for her..what's the deal? At least we still have ali but as a local...I like to see the in state kids shine here and it just doesnt typically happen

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Realistically, Mackenzie Holmes was going to get the minutes and I can appreciate Allen didn't want to be Holmes' back-up for another 3 years.

Agree that Holmes was likely to get the bigger chunk of the minutes, but still we only go about 6-7 deep so she would have had a chance to play her way into a bigger role. By her junior and senior year she would have been a veteran starter we need to have to build continuity and keep the momentum in the program. This is a bummer. Moren REALLY needs to make some waves in the grad transfer market and with her next two recruiting classes. Because once Patberg, Berger, Patterson and Gulbe leave over the next two years we have lost several of our young recruits this season that would have assumed the mantle and kept things rolling. It’s starting to get a little tight on the depth chart. 

55 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

We have really let a lot of in state talent run off..jenna and jorie allen, muensterman, darby foresman, beeler, Jennings transferred to butler instead of here and we really went hard for her..what's the deal? At least we still have ali but as a local...I like to see the in state kids shine here and it just doesnt typically happen

Like you, I enjoy watching in-state talent. I'm disappointed with Jorie's decision to leave, but I wish her well and hope I don't see her at Purdue.  I do look forward to seeing how Grace Waggoner will be utilized next year. Her athletic ability was underrated and her work ethic and hustle was rewarded with playing time. That girl worked to see the court. That's the way it should be.

I was afraid this would happen. In this environment if you get a 5* recruit and they don't produce right away and disappoint they are pretty much going to leave for another opportunity. It's great to get top recruits but the disadvantage is if they don't live up to hype you won't keep them. That is the one advantage of getting a 3* recruits, is while they will not set the world on fire they will be patient and get better over four years. With top recruits if they bust in their first season as Allen did that's it. 

Yeah I dont really think Holmes and allen play the same position..allen is about 6 feet tall I saw her more like wise. I think she was gonna lose her playing time to patterson most likely, if anyone..

Allen played about 10 mpg, at best she would have increased that by maybe 5mpg each season. I assume she wants to he a major 30mpg player every night. This is why coaches and recruits need to he honest about what they want and what they have to give. Dont just assume because you got an offer that you were offered a starting spot

I don't like to see us losing players anymore than anyone else does but it is a way of life for both the men's and women's basketball programs.  I saw this reported earlier today.

There are 719 women’s college basketball players in the transfer portal. More players in portal than SCHOLARSHIPS! Going be a lot of young ladies on outside looking in!

Jon Blau - IU women's basketball assistant coach Janese Constantine is leaving the program for personal reasons. Her husband recently left IU for a job with Alabama's strength and conditioning staff.

This one hurts! She is such a great ambassador and representative for IU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Some background on Danielle Patterson including this on her rehabbing.

The 6-foot-2 Patterson has yet to set foot on the court for the Hoosiers after transferring from Notre Dame a year ago, but 10 days ago she began doing sprints and light jogging for the first time since knee surgery last August as IU began voluntary workouts. She hopes to be fully cleared in another month or so after being sidelined shortly after her tenure as a Hoosier began last summer.

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2020/07/iu-womens-transfer-patterson-finding-her-footing/

image.png.336e9058fafa13cb25086c1aa255810f.png

IU Women’s Basketball Mourns Passing of Hall of Famer Bea Gorton

Bea Gorton, Indiana Women's Basketball's first head coach and an IU Athletics Hall of Famer, passed away peacefully on Tuesday, July 14 in Carol Stream, Ill.

Gorton was Indiana's inaugural women's basketball varsity head coach who led the program from 1972-76 and later inducted to the IU Athletics Hall of Fame in 2014. A pioneer for the program and women's college basketball game, Gorton compiled an overall record of 79-28 (.738), the top winning percentage in school history, and led IU to the Elite Eight of the AIAW national tournament in 1972 and 1974, and an AIAW Final Four appearance in 1973. In 1975, the Hoosiers played in the National Women's Invitation Tournament.

Gorton served as an adviser to the AIAW organization from 1975-80. She coached the first and only IU women's All-American, Debbie Oing, and was nominated for the Wade Trophy for women's coach of the year in 1977. Gorton served as a member of the Kodak Coaches All-American Selection Committee in 1975-76, was a speaker at the International Olympic Scientific Congress in 1984 and 1988, and consulted at the Paralympics that were held in New York City in 1984. She was invited as a lecturer in Australia, Canada, Great Britain, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

An excellent player in her own right at Wheaton College, Gorton helped lead the 1967-68 team to an undefeated season. In that season, she led the team in scoring, with 182 points, and she had a personal best of 33 points against Concordia, setting a single-game record in that category which remained for 15 years. She also was the team's leading free throw shooter, connecting on 68 percent of her attempts. Gorton also coached the Wheaton women's basketball team for one year, in 1969-70, posting an 11-1 record and was inducted in to the Wheaton College Hall of Honor in 1988.

After serving as Indiana's head coach, Gorton worked on the faculty at Wheaton (Ill.) College, Taylor University and Bowling Green State University.