Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Old Friend

What was your first/earliest memory of...

I vaguely remember the 87 title game sitting on my grandpa’s lap. He loved all sports but raised me right with the Hoosiers. I remember the barnstorming tour at Floyd Central in the early 90s. I believe I have a photo somewhere of Damon Bailey walking up behind me as they were warming up. He was bigger than life to me at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

39 minutes ago, Demo said:

Oh yeah. And unlike the generic broadcasts that national sports media has created, everything about those broadcasts was unique and created an almost Pavlovian response. WTTV, Martha, Marlowe, that super low camera position that made you feel like you were right behind Knight, it couldn’t be mistaken for any other broadcast. Channel 4 deserves a bunch of credit for it’s role in creating generations of basketball lovers. Not just IU, all of those state tournament games from Hinkle with Tom Carnegie on the call. Freaking goosebumps just thinking about it. Will never forget Carnegie, always like 3 seconds after the actual bucket, with his, “Heeee scored!” That stuff just can’t be replicated now, and that’s a loss for all of us.

Channel 4 was the epitome of a local TV station.  Back in the late 90's they ran an anniversary show around Labor Day (as I recall).  It was 2 or 2 1/2 hours long with lots of old footage.  I recorded it on VHS, but when I loaned it to someone they loaned it to someone else and I never got it back.  I've had no luck finding a copy of it.  One story I remember from it was in the early days of the station, they would televise the basketball game and then disassemble the cameras, get them back to the studio, and reassemble them for the late newscast.

23 hours ago, Dhop said:

Younger gens just can’t understand the power of it. One went with the other in the 70’s and 80’s. IUBB was must see TV on good ol channel 4 and it ALWAYS started with that commercial. Play that song and it evokes so much for the folks that have been around a while.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Channel 4 did a great job showcasing IU basketball. The games were must see events. But, did you race home after church just so you wouldn't miss Chuck Marlow hosting The Bob Knight Show on channel 4?  You didn't dare miss Coach Knight's critique of the previous game or how he would call out a coach or program for cheating.  The best was when he brought a donkey wearing a Purdue hat on set. 

I remember a little from the 85-86 season, but my first real memory is the 86-87 season. I was 13 and on cloud nine. My mom said that if we won, She was going to dance on top of the coffee table. Keith Smart made that shot and mom was true to her word. I sure do miss her.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Mine is the "81 Championship game against NC. I was staying at my cousin's house to watch the game with him. I have pretty vivid memories of that day with the President being shot earlier in the day.

The first games I remember watching were Knight's last few years with A.J Guyton and company. He was the first player I loved watching as a little kid. I do remember eating breakfast in my kitchen before school when it came across the news that Knight was fired. 

The first season I remember following was Mike Davis's first year. The players on those teams really got me hooked on IU as I loved Moye, Coverdale, and JJ. They were like superheroes to me. That Duke game was the happiest I had ever been as a kid. 

Channel 4 did a great job showcasing IU basketball. The games were must see events. But, did you race home after church just so you wouldn't miss Chuck Marlow hosting The Bob Knight Show on channel 4?  You didn't dare miss Coach Knight's critique of the previous game or how he would call out a coach or program for cheating.  The best was when he brought a donkey wearing a Purdue hat on set. 

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Dhop said:

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Good old "Jack".  Several years ago Mark Monteith interviewed Chuck Marlowe and that broadcast came up.  Chuck caught holy hell from station management (like he had any control over it). 

I used to watch that show on Sunday morning religiously (no pun intended).  I still remember the Amax coal and Mineweld commercials.