Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Glenn Fine is a fantastic, incredibly smart guy, with unshakable integrity. This is not a second-hand knowledge opinion-I finally get to be an insider on a board topic.

His dismissal today is ...ummm...how can I say this without offending... really unfortunate.

Absolutely.  It would be easier to explain if it wasn't a pattern.

3 hours ago, Defenserocks28 said:

I blame the guy in the chair when budgetary cuts he performed DIRECTLY and ADVERSELY affected the response the USA was capable of to Covid. Why are so many tests STILL not being performed?  Why do we have no idea if case counts are truly getting better?  Why did we have to shut down large parts of the economy for almost a month? Well, it certainly wasn't helped by Trump slashing funding for those agencies set up to test and prepare for pandemics: https://fortune.com/2020/02/26/coronavirus-covid-19-cdc-budget-cuts-us-trump/

The above article isn't even accounting for the pandemic task force that was disbanded whose sole mission was to identify the next pandemic.  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

Also, to your hoax comment earlier, here is the DIRECT quote:

------

“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that right?” Trump said Feb. 28. “Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing’? They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They don’t even count their votes in Iowa. They can’t even count. No, they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

“One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia Russia.’ That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was not a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

-------

Generally speaking, it's really hard to gain good context from most Trump speeches...but I'll try with the above quote. I believe what he's attempting to say is that the Democrats voicing alarm about the virus was their new "hoax" to bring him down.  If you have a different interpretation, I would be curious to hear (I really would, perhaps I'm missing another angle).  So, I agree, he didn't say the Corona Virus was a hoax.  BUT...he did infer that the severity of it was being "amped" up by Democrats. 

He also insinuated that it's no worse than the flu, and then, was contradicted by Fauci:

--------------

“So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”  --> Trump

Two days later, Anthony Fauci, head of infectious diseases at the National Institutes of Health and a member of Trump’s task force on the outbreak, said the coronavirus was far more deadly.

“This is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu,” Fauci said on Wednesday, when was asked by a House of Representatives committee for a fact that would help Americans gauge the danger.

---------

Moreover, as of LATE February (February 26th) , Trump went so far as to say that Covid cases in the USA would soon be zero. 

At a political rally in New Hampshire, Trump mentioned the coronavirus and says it “looks like, by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”  

NOTE: If you want documented support, ie, videos, tweets, etc, of each to the items listed above, I'd be more than happy to provide them.  

I don't know how one reads all of the above and doesn't see how Trump downplayed the severity of the virus.  The US government didn't act fast enough (governors as well), downplayed risks and now the unemployment rate in the US will probably hit over 10%.  

What also sucks is our government is taking advantage of the 2 trillion bailout in many pork ways, you've got 75 million for NPR (not sure how they affect Covid).

More interestingly is that real estate investors who make over 500k and have taken large losses on their real estate in the past 3 years (it's retroactive) and continuing going forward, will get tax benefits to the tune of 170 BILLION dollars.  I know this will come as a SHOCK, but both Trump and Kushner are big real estate developers who have lost a considerable amount of money in real estate.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/business/coronavirus-real-estate-investors-stimulus.html

Oh, and Trump just got rid of the watchdog who was monitoring the 500 billion of the 2 trillion bailout.  What could be the reason for removing a watchdog on overseeing what the Trump administration is doing with the $500 billion bailouts?  Seriously, I'd love to know.  

Believe it or not, I'm fiscally conservative.  I hate seeing that we had incredible GDP growth over the last decade and proceeded to have the largest budget deficits in history.  I hate the fact the Fed kept interest rates artificially low for wayyy too long.  I hate that we gave massive corporate tax cuts that in the end, just redistributed wealth to those that had money in the stock market.  I hate that we just spent 2 trillion, probably soon to be 4, because leadership just sat on their hands.  I'll be paying for these decisions.  I'm in my 30s and at some point, this nation will have a reckoning on budgets. Sadly, those that have put us in this mess won't have to pay for it.  I'll be paying tons of interest on loans taken out by my parent's generation on the economy.  

Sorry to all about the long-winded response.  Working from home leaves me with a bit of additional free time.  

1)  The CDC and NIH have both seen increases in the budget every year Trump has been in office.   Funding was not cut.

2)  He was calling the media's treatment of him a hoax because of their airing of partial quotes and applying no context.  Joe Biden had a tweet and a campaign ad using this quote, but eventually apologized and took down the tweet because he was wrong.

3)   The quote about flu deaths was made well before we knew how serious this was.  I posted the picture of all the headlines from all of those publications (did so again) and the quote from Dr. Facui among others, all of whom said the same thing.  Much of this came from the data and information from China, which they vastly under-reported.  They were just as worried about the economic impact there as we were here.

4)  You quoted Dr. Fauci "last Wednesday."  Go back and see what he said on February 17th.  "The threat to the US is low."  So you're going back a month and a half.  That defines revisionist history.  That's the same as "I was opposed to the bill until I was for it."

5)  New inspector has a decade of service for the General Services Admin in charge of waste, fraud, and abuse.  Trump knows the guy and he's done a good job.   Lots of waste from Andrew Cuomo right now....that should also be investigated.

6)  State rep of..I think Detroit..hard left (D), Karen Whitsett said today that were it not for Trump's touting of hydroxychloroquine, she would not have known to ask for it, and felt better within 2 hours after testing positive.

7)  I don't understand why you're holding things Trump said against him when doctors, including Fauci were saying the same things?   It wasn't until March 10th or so we really knew much about this thing, but Trump banned travel from China on January 31.   He was actually ahead of the experts and called a racist and xenophobe because of it.

Etc. 

No worries on long winded-ness.  We're all bored.  =)

EVERYONE, including Dr. Fauci downplayed this.  How can you hold Trump responsible when his own top adviser said the risk is low?   Trump counts on Dr. Fauci.  Always has.  And Dr. Fauci himself saif Trump's response to this was impressive.   Seriously?   What could any president have done better?   The New York Post (hardly a conservative rag) had an article over the weekend saying America has almost always been under-prepared for crisis', but always responds better than most.    It used Katrina and 9/11 as examples.  As I said before, the problem is systemic because the US is economically driven, not doomsday driven.  And I'm good with that.

To use quotes from recently as proof Trump down played the virus and leave out the ones from before is the stuff Trump always calls fake news.  The rest of the story and the whole story are important, here.  Trump's job is to put people around him to advise, not to preside and be all knowing.  This thing has changed daily since the beginning, and to lay it at Trump's feet means you want to in my opinion.

Coronavirus.jpg

Jobs.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

1)  The CDC and NIH have both seen increases in the budget every year Trump has been in office.   Funding was not cut.

2)  He was calling the media's treatment of him a hoax because of their airing of partial quotes and applying no context.  Joe Biden had a tweet and a campaign ad using this quote, but eventually apologized and took down the tweet because he was wrong.

3)   The quote about flu deaths was made well before we knew how serious this was.  I posted the picture of all the headlines from all of those publications (did so again) and the quote from Dr. Facui among others, all of whom said the same thing.  Much of this came from the data and information from China, which they vastly under-reported.  They were just as worried about the economic impact there as we were here.

4)  You quoted Dr. Fauci "last Wednesday."  Go back and see what he said on February 17th.  "The threat to the US is low."  So you're going back a month and a half.  That defines revisionist history.  That's the same as "I was opposed to the bill until I was for it."

5)  New inspector has a decade of service for the General Services Admin in charge of waste, fraud, and abuse.  Trump knows the guy and he's done a good job.   Lots of waste from Andrew Cuomo right now....that should also be investigated.

6)  State rep of..I think Detroit..hard left (D), Karen Whitsett said today that were it not for Trump's touting of hydroxychloroquine, she would not have known to ask for it, and felt better within 2 hours after testing positive.

Etc. 

No worries on long winded-ness.  We're all bored.  =)

EVERYONE, including Dr. Fauci downplayed this.  How can you hold Trump responsible when his own top adviser said the risk is low?   Trump counts on Dr. Fauci.  Always has.  And Dr. Fauci himself saif Trump's response to this was impressive.   Seriously?   What could any president have done better?   The New York Post (hardly a conservative rag) had an article over the weekend saying America has almost always been under-prepared for crisis', but always responds better than most.    It used Katrina and 9/11 as examples.  As I said before, the problem is systemic because the US is economically driven, not doomsday driven.  And I'm good with that.

To use quotes from recently as proof Trump down played the virus and leave out the ones from before is the stuff Trump always calls fake news.  The rest of the story and the whole story are important, here.  Trump's job is to put people around him to advise, not to preside and be all knowing.  This thing has changed daily since the beginning, and to lay it at Trump's feet means you want to in my opinion.

Coronavirus.jpg

Jobs.jpeg

Glad you edited your post and deleted that IG Christi Grimm was “from the Obama administration.” I was almost able to quote you before you made that edit!

She was appointed by President Trump, and her bio is: https://www.hhs.gov/about/leadership/christi-grimm/index.html

I don’t know her. 

As I’ve said, I can first hand tell you that Glenn Fine is an extraordinary public servant who strives to be accurate, honest, and transparent. He was also dismissed in the past 24 hours.

I find these dismissals incredibly disheartening.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Glad you edited your post and deleted that IG Christi Grimm was “from the Obama administration.”

She was appointed by President Trump, and her bio is: https://www.hhs.gov/about/leadership/christi-grimm/index.html

I don’t know her. 

As I’ve said, I can first hand tell you that Glenn Fine is an extraordinary public servant who strives to be accurate, honest, and transparent. He was also dismissed in the past 24 hours.

This is the most corrupt administration of my lifetime.  Again remember, I am proud to be registered no party affiliation, I am certainly not a person who favors one party over the other generally.

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Glad you edited your post and deleted that IG Christi Grimm was “from the Obama administration.” I was almost able to quote you before you made that edit!

I don’t know her. 

Removing oversight, shocking.  I'll be floored if he doesn't make sure some of that 500 billion corporate welfare fund goes to his properties.

23 minutes ago, Josh said:

This is the most corrupt administration of my lifetime.  Again remember, I am proud to be registered no party affiliation, I am certainly not a person who favors one party over the other generally.

It's been transparently corrupt in some ways too.  Appointing his children reeks of nepotism.  Trying to have the G7 at a property he owns isn't even making an attempt to hide it.

He didn't sell the empire, that he inherited from his father, or put it in a blind trust either.  He put it in a revocable trust managed by his sons, one of whom can give him financial updates, that he can pull money from whenever he wants.  The conflict of interest there is about as subtle as a bomb.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

NOT true. 
The President apparently owns some mutual funds which have a stake in the company.

That is so so very different, and is a complete non-issue!

The primary shareholder of the company that makes it is a big time GOP donor though.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

The primary shareholder of the company that makes it is a big time GOP donor though.

I’m gonna speculate that the primary shareholder of the company that makes it is a big donor to both parties.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Glenn Fine is a fantastic, incredibly smart guy, with unshakable integrity. This is not a second-hand knowledge opinion-I finally get to be an insider on a board topic.

His dismissal today is ...ummm...how can I say this without offending... really unfortunate.

I’ll bring this back to basketball a bit:

Glenn Fine, as a 5’9” point guard, was Captain of the Harvard Basketball team and was a 10th rd NBA draft pick by the San Antonio Spurs!

https://www.thecrimson.com/blog/the-back-page/article/2010/12/4/mbball-fine-retires-120410/

I encourage y’all to read more about him. Leadership, accomplishment, and integrity personified.

31 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Removing oversight, shocking.  I'll be floored if he doesn't make sure some of that 500 billion corporate welfare fund goes to his properties.

So the Trump Org. doesn't have employees who deserve help?  I think they wrote him out of the bill anyway.   

23 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It's been transparently corrupt in some ways too.  Appointing his children reeks of nepotism.  Trying to have the G7 at a property he owns isn't even making an attempt to hide it.

He didn't sell the empire, that he inherited from his father, or put it in a blind trust either.  He put it in a revocable trust managed by his sons, one of whom can give him financial updates, that he can pull money from whenever he wants.  The conflict of interest there is about as subtle as a bomb.

Actually it's not.  It's wide open for anyone to see.  He put's his freaking name on everything.  Compare that to things like the Clinton Foundation, kinda secret.  

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Actually it's not.  It's wide open for anyone to see.  He put's his freaking name on everything.  Compare that to things like the Clinton Foundation, kinda secret.  

Why am I not shocked you don’t know what nepotism means?

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I don’t know her. 

Yeah, I made a mistake there.   Thought one thing and sourced another.  Brain cramp.

The affects of this remain to be seen, and I'm not for any kind of corruption.    I don't know the reason, but so far, I really don't think precedent exists to assume the worst of Trump.   Especially on something that would be so blatantly obvious.