Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

14 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

March freaking 24th Trump said the U.S. "opened up, raring to go" by April 12th.  Show me the 'everyone' that was making those kind of statements then.

He said he hoped.  He said that was a goal.  Perhaps an audacious goal, but what did a hopeful goal ever hurt?  He didn't commit to anything.  For the love of God, the left just WANTS this man to fail.   

Trump :  "I had bacon and eggs for breakfast."

Left :  "So you're saying you hate animals?"

It's laughable.  Good God.

This goes both ways.  There are people who will defend Trump no matter what and there are people who will bash him no matter what.  It's disgusting for both groups.

You ain't lying

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Truth

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is in Brooklyn, right in the coronavirus epicenter. Expecting people to stay inside, especially as it gets nicer outside, is unrealistic. It's not going to happen. Every politician should be exploring ways to get the economy back up and running while protecting at-risk groups. What we're doing now is unsustainable. 

I said a few pages ago  the problem we have is systemic.  It's not any one man's fault, and certainly not limited to whoever's in the chair now.  This is just one source, but it shows what I mean and the complexity of it.  Blaming one man and in particular the man in the chair now is pretty elementary.  It's not the fault of Donald Trump, Barack Obama or Big Bird.  Now is the time to battle and solve.  Not blame.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/03/fact-check-did-obama-administration-deplete-n-95-mask-stockpile/5114319002/?fbclid=IwAR20clpJPOABykwm3TtaFGO0EPZNceF50PrpZ78pwOrjwlHKS2HqmTBUYdE

2 hours ago, triple said:

Old Friend, I'm not interested in a purely political debate.  I'm independent and believe strongly that our country is in desperate need of compromise, as we watch our political parties give us nothing but the opposite.  I'm very disappointed in Trump's response to this crisis, and cherry picked facts/defenses won't change that.  I'm also very disappointed in the Democrats, for what it's worth.  You are correct that experts should have advised our leaders to act more quickly.  I believe quite a few did, whether they were government employees or advising from afar via the press.  Moving past that, we need more tests, ICU beds and medical supplies.  We've collectively been painfully slow to secure those things, because we've failed to act with the decisiveness that we've seen work elsewhere (China, S. Korea, Germany).  That's not a political statement.  It's a fact.  Our leaders have not used all of the powers available to them to secure those things.  That is also a fact. 

Here is some research material for you.  

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/04/03/virus_experts_early_statements_belie_prescient_portrayal_142845.html

As for getting the stuff we need, here's the problem.  You just can't crap it out of your arse.  China joined the world trade organization in 2001.  Since that time we have ceded our manufacturing base to the rest of the globe, including vital medical products.  Now that we need them, we can't make them.  Use the defense production act they scream.  On who?  If masks, ventilators (and the components thereof), pills, etc. are made overseas, just who are you going to "force" to make stuff?  Asking GM to retool to make medical products is great -- problem is it takes time, which we don't have.    

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

He said he hoped.  He said that was a goal.  Perhaps an audacious goal, but what did a hopeful goal ever hurt?  He didn't commit to anything.  For the love of God, the left just WANTS this man to fail.   

Trump :  "I had bacon and eggs for breakfast."

Left :  "So you're saying you hate animals?"

It's laughable.  Good God.

Seriously, stop with 'the left'.  Either you have an accurate answer to the criticism or not....saying 'the left' is nothing more than a weak diversion.  It's nothing more than special pleading.

The fact that you think that 'the left' want him to fail -- which would mean thousands and thousands of people die instead of live -- it's insulting.  How about you ASK what people on here feel instead of just make some bald face assumption of what 'the left' feels?

7 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Seriously, stop with 'the left'.  Either you have an accurate answer to the criticism or not....saying 'the left' is nothing more than a weak diversion.  It's nothing more than special pleading.

The fact that you think that 'the left' want him to fail -- which would mean thousands and thousands of people die instead of live -- it's insulting.  How about you ASK what people on here feel instead of just make some bald face assumption of what 'the left' feels?

As someone who considers himself quite conservative, I truly love this post.

Labeling and name-calling are extremely counterproductive in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Yeah pretty sure he’s lumping me into the “left”.  Which is quite funny since my favorite president in my lifetime is the elder Bush and my favorite ever is Eisenhower.  

I got a great idea. We are all at home. Some of us are business owners. Some are not. Why don’t we all take this time to try to improve ourselves. Maybe you all who work for someone take this time to learn a skill or whatever that you can do to makes some money part time. You have the time to learn! Go to you tube. May gosh you can learn anything there. Start a part time business that hopefully in the future could turn into a full time business. Life is better as being self employed. Your future would then be at your own hands. Just saying. At least learn how to start your own part time business. Couldn’t hurt? If you don’t know what to do just think about it. Don’t wastes this time. It’s precious !

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah pretty sure he’s lumping me into the “left”.  Which is quite funny since my favorite president in my lifetime is the elder Bush and my favorite ever is Eisenhower.  

And that's the issue with assumptions.....but even if you were the farthest-to-the-left liberal, it would have no bearing on the merits of your argument.  The merits of an argument stand or fall on their own.  And if someone chooses to not address the message but instead attacks the messenger, the only conclusion that can be made is that can't find fault in the message.